Summer jobs

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Rosamunda

Summer jobs

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:41 am

Anyone know...? What would be the hourly pay for a 16-18 yr old working in an ice-cream kiosk in the summer? Roughly.

Summer jobs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikettu

Re: Summer jobs

Post by sinikettu » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Did a quick poll of colleagues who have teenage kids..
Not much varience...7€- 8 €uro.. one guy said his daughter got a two weeks job at Spice Ice and earnt almost 200 €uro, but she worked long hours, 9 hours a day, and two week ends..not double time on Sundays..he thinks she got 10 €uro for Sundays..but not sure...
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks sir. We guessed 7€ but good point about weekends... hadn't thought of Sunday bonus.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:04 pm

sinikettu wrote:Did a quick poll of colleagues who have teenage kids..
Not much varience...7€- 8 €uro.. one guy said his daughter got a two weeks job at Spice Ice and earnt almost 200 €uro, but she worked long hours, 9 hours a day, and two week ends..not double time on Sundays..he thinks she got 10 €uro for Sundays..but not sure...
The hourly rate sounds realistic if not a bit low ... not sure how I used to get £5/hr nearly 20 years ago.

But your total doesn't add up.

€7/hr x 9hr/day x 7 days x 2 weeks = €882... not €200.

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 am

sinikala wrote:
sinikettu wrote:Did a quick poll of colleagues who have teenage kids..
The hourly rate sounds realistic if not a bit low ... not sure how I used to get £5/hr nearly 20 years ago.

But your total doesn't add up.

€7/hr x 9hr/day x 7 days x 2 weeks = €882... not €200.
Asked...She did not work 14 days..she worked 2 week ends and a couple of long days during the week...most week days the Spice Ice Permanent staff were on duty she was "filling in" when they were on holidays.
Also 200 Euro was nett...tax man takes from kids also. :evil:
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks for the info.

BTW... my nephew joined the Metropolitan Police (London) at the same age. And it's pretty much on the job training after a few weeks in the Northolt academy. I don't think he was left on his own much in the first few months and even now I think there are usually a couple of them together all the time. I guess you could check with the company what their rules are. If it's daytime I wouldn't be too worried though. My husband was a night shift security guard for many years when he was studying. He had his two German Shepherds (dogs) with him permanently. The dogs were to wake him up in case the boss turned up in the middle of the night to check up on him :lol:

kunkenid

Post by kunkenid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Please, do you any idea of getting such job during the summer.
I am a student at Jyvaskyla and i want to come for summer job at helsinki.
I will be grateful for any contributions

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:35 pm

Cory wrote:My 19 yr old step-son, in his consideration of a few summer jobs here in Turku, was told by the owner of the ice-cream kiosk that the going rate was 7e/hr + 10e/hr on Sundays. He has taken a summer job with ISS as roving security in the market square and along the river for 11e/hr. It all came down to the money but we're not extremely "pleased" that he's working as security. Although a big guy, he's young and we were surprised that these security companies hire kids who have to deal with older adults.
Pfft.. I was working security when I was 18. Used to be the pay ratio was slightly better with doing something and just "being". So whats the use for some old geezer 65 with teeth falling off, they can't keep up in the beat? You need to be young to be able to stand all that sh*t - thats why they put you in the Army at 19. After a stint in security you can appreciate studying as a means to getting a "real job".
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:38 pm

my understanding was that teh geezer got molded in the coffins of the Risteily!!

jessesuomi

Post by jessesuomi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Umm, how can it be that if they get paid €7 an hour normally that they only get paid €10 on Sundays. If I am not mistaken anything after 6pm recieves an increase in pay, albeit not much as well as the extra Sunday pay, which is twice the normal amount.
I didnt think ice cream kiosks were exempt from this.

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:23 pm

jessesuomi wrote:Umm, how can it be that if they get paid €7 an hour normally that they only get paid €10 on Sundays. If I am not mistaken anything after 6pm recieves an increase in pay, albeit not much as well as the extra Sunday pay, which is twice the normal amount.
I didnt think ice cream kiosks were exempt from this.
your understanding is based on the baltic sea soup of the day!!
Which part of temp. workers have your brain stopped processing?
You are not permanent, so dont matter if yóu earn 7 or 11. The 11 is to attract enough young people to not stand around those joints!!

jessesuomi

Post by jessesuomi » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:53 am

It shouldnt matter if you are temp worker or not. Since there is no minimun wage they can pay €2 if they wanted but... the basic law applies to all if I understood. Even when I have had non contracted work they still respected the working laws and paid accordingly. Of course I kind of far removed from that now but it was work that I did on my summer "holiday" time.
Hmm, after looking through the laws, it is law for the employers to pay double pay on Sunday.