Restaurant business

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
TampereOwl

Re: Restaurant business

Post by TampereOwl » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Would you care to share your taco recipe? I reckon I'll use this a lot more now, it's cheap as anything and tastes alright with a stock cube and dried chilli and garlic in the cooking water.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Not much of a recipe..... I use Soyapetit, and I use about 1 part soy stuff to 1.5 parts water. I use Old el Paso taco mix (not the creamy one, it contains dairy) and I really just guess how much of the seasoning is needed for whatever amount of the "meat" I'm cooking. I also add some canola/rapeseed oil, since it is fat free on its own and I think it needs a little fat content.

I also heat up a can of refried beans and thin those out with water and add about a teaspoon of the taco seasoning. We eat this with tortillas, salsa, chopped tomatoes, lettuce and sometimes Alpro plain soya yogurt as "sour cream" and then sometimes I make guacamole too.

Without the guac, it's a very quick and easy meal.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:39 pm

This is good information about the meat substitutes. I was vegetarian for 4 years and one of those years was vegan, but it didn't work out so well for me - i was busy with bearing children, breastfeeding, and my hubby was away a lot so i couldn't give enough time to it.

I always wanted to try the meat subs but heard there was a link between processed soy and thyroid problems (i've had half my thyroid removed because of a troublesome tumor), and so i avoided them. Do you know how they are made and what the listed ingredients are?

I eat edamame reasonably often and really enjoy it, but if the meat substitues turn out to be healthy and not so processed i could switch the meat i put into dinner and eat the same food i give to the rest of my family. Could it fool a teenager??
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Kupcake wrote:This is good information about the meat substitutes. I was vegetarian for 4 years and one of those years was vegan, but it didn't work out so well for me - i was busy with bearing children, breastfeeding, and my hubby was away a lot so i couldn't give enough time to it.

I always wanted to try the meat subs but heard there was a link between processed soy and thyroid problems (i've had half my thyroid removed because of a troublesome tumor), and so i avoided them. Do you know how they are made and what the listed ingredients are?

I eat edamame reasonably often and really enjoy it, but if the meat substitues turn out to be healthy and not so processed i could switch the meat i put into dinner and eat the same food i give to the rest of my family. Could it fool a teenager??
Hey, on my package the ingredients are only soy beans and sugar coloring. The light colored one that looks like ground chicken or turkey has only soy beans. I don't know at all how it's made. I have heard they aren't good to eat constantly too, but I'm not sure why. It has a lot of protein, iron, calcium, several vitamins, etc.

As for fooling a teen, if it is mixed in with other stuff and well seasoned, etc, it might! It looks just like the real thing, has no taste, so it'll taste like whatever you put in it. I have used also the type that looks more like little chicken pieces in a curry and my husband and I thought it could fool someone, it resembled meat so much..
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....