Filming opportunities at football clubs in Finland?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Filming opportunities at football clubs in Finland?

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 am

Apart from irritating people? Thats my real talent. I'm a technical architect designing J2EE platform environments for TE. Used to be a soldier, sailor, chauffeur, hotel night manager and a few other things I could "do" with or without formal papers, but I've never put my eggs in one basket. Yeah, and I can redecorate your house or reassemble your computer, swap a VW bug engine, drive and maintain a speedway bike, curse in about 10 languages, order a beer in 8, write on this forum in 4 with variying success, and I've published a few comic strips and illustrated a few books. So? And apart from that I can take pictures- actually taught photography and lab work at your age, shoot and edit 8mm, make model kits from scratch, paint theatre backdrops, mix a gig and be a roadie, but thats then the hobby section as nobodys paid for me for any of that, except I did get some beers for the roadie and poon at the theatre so it might be assessed as "work". Oh yeah, and I grow biodynamic onions and giant marrows...

So yes, I do nothing really, except get annoyed and masturbate too much so I've decided to try and get in for a masters programme before I am 40, networking with cisco done, J2EE coding next, need to get in the kitchen door as I'm too stupid to get into the real university by learning books by heart.

And I just lost on ebay on a camera because of writing this - which was actually a good thing as it went silly.

So what was the question... what do I do? I do jack, go to work, come back home, pay debts, balance zero.

BTW: Want to buy a camera? Got maybe 2 asses that don't leak but the objectives are nifty :lol:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

RSim

Post by RSim » Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 am

Hank W. wrote:Apart from irritating people? Thats my real talent. I'm a technical architect designing J2EE platform environments for TE. Used to be a soldier, sailor, chauffeur, hotel night manager and a few other things I could "do" with or without formal papers, but I've never put my eggs in one basket. Yeah, and I can redecorate your house or reassemble your computer, swap a VW bug engine, drive and maintain a speedway bike, curse in about 10 languages, order a beer in 8, write on this forum in 4 with variying success, and I've published a few comic strips and illustrated a few books. So? And apart from that I can take pictures- actually taught photography and lab work at your age, shoot and edit 8mm, make model kits from scratch, paint theatre backdrops, mix a gig and be a roadie, but thats then the hobby section as nobodys paid for me for any of that, except I did get some beers for the roadie and poon at the theatre so it might be assessed as "work". Oh yeah, and I grow biodynamic onions and giant marrows...

So yes, I do nothing really, except get annoyed and masturbate too much so I've decided to try and get in for a masters programme before I am 40, networking with cisco done, J2EE coding next, need to get in the kitchen door as I'm too stupid to get into the real university by learning books by heart.

And I just lost on ebay on a camera because of writing this - which was actually a good thing as it went silly.

So what was the question... what do I do? I do jack, go to work, come back home, pay debts, balance zero.

BTW: Want to buy a camera? Got maybe 2 asses that don't leak but the objectives are nifty :lol:
No thanks, just ordered myself a Canon Powershot G9 :)

Can I also ask, did you have a job secured before you moved to Finland? Or did you move there and then go job hunting?

I'd love to do the latter as it means I could look first hand, but don't think i'd have the funds to pay for accomodation especially if it can take months to find anything remotely resembling a job.
Image Aberdeen, Scotland

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 am

RSim wrote:Can I also ask, did you have a job secured before you moved to Finland? Or did you move there and then go job hunting?
I had my parents and my coming ex-wife and the new hotel manager wanted me back, and they were selling the ship to the Greeks, so I decided to move back... now that I look back I ought to have stayed there. But yes, I had a secured job before moving back.

See now my china, I'm a native. :twisted: I'm rehearsing a funny foreign tongue here...
RSim wrote:I'd love to do the latter as it means I could look first hand, but don't think i'd have the funds to pay for accomodation especially if it can take months to find anything remotely resembling a job.
Well, as we say you either have "gilt arse" someone comes and hires you and worships you - or then you come over (worse if you think the light shines out of your arse) and get told "piss off". Well, 50/60... you might or then not. It depends as your profession is really a niche of the niche, so the contacts are crucial. Trying to find a job advert in your line... pffttttt.... I'd rip a hernia.. What you should do is "make a plan" and with "plan B" (and C and D and...) - hence the "studying" bit. It doesn't hurt - and Finnish employers are sticklers for papers + you need a network... "everybody knows everybody" here. And that network is done at school... Give Tomas a line, he can tell you how important "knowing the right people" is.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Wed May 07, 2008 11:15 am

First thing is to get your arse over here QUICK before the season finishes. Veikkausliiga pay U-kanava to show the games, and I doubt they have much in the way of budgets to pay an additional cameraman. I suppose the slots are filled, but maybe in the summer regulars go on holiday and they'd appreciate a pro to take the slots on a freelance basis (but then, you're up against the cheap and cheerful army of trainees that speak Finnish and usually do those jobs).

The only club with anything like the resources to pay you is TPS, thanks to Seppo Sairanen's interestingly acquired wealth. Mixu would probably be a good 'in' with them as he's the former manager, otherwise the CEO speaks good english and his number's available on the website. In general though, Finnish clubs get volunteers to do this stuff for free and don't want to pay. I'll pm you my email address if you want to discuss things more specifically, I might be able to help. In the meantime, look at the best Finnish football site on the interweb to research your market:

http://footballinfinland.wordpress.com

RSim

Post by RSim » Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks VERY Much, Tampere Owl. Really appreciated.

Could you PM me your e-mail address so we could talk further? If you don't mind?

Again, really appreciated.
Image Aberdeen, Scotland

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 am

I used the 'email' function, to try it out mainly, did you get the message and can you reply to my email address?

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 pm

Moi Tampere Owl..
Is this a friend of yours.? :wink:

People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 pm

He's alright, but my name originally comes from this guy:

RSim

Post by RSim » Thu May 08, 2008 11:18 pm

I've been in contact with my old teacher and she's told me to contact YLE to see if there are jobs/work experience on offer.

We went to their studios to meet Peter Nyman and watch Uutisvuoto being recorded. We also got to go to the YLE Cafe before and after, supposedly where many jokes are exchanged between the hosts which was pretty cool. Anyway, the setup was absolutely magnificent!!

Do any of you know if stations such as YLE 1 offer work experience at all? I couldn't see anything on their site
Image Aberdeen, Scotland

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 pm

How is your Finnish?

RSim

Post by RSim » Fri May 09, 2008 12:14 am

TampereOwl wrote:How is your Finnish?
Non-existant at the moment. Well... i know some words here and there... But that's it.

Currently looking to take private lessons, which isn't any use to an employer at the moment but it's a start (got to start somewhere, right?)
Image Aberdeen, Scotland

RSim

Post by RSim » Sat May 10, 2008 8:59 pm

I think i need to get in contact with some of my mates, they work for the EU and i think that might help?
Image Aberdeen, Scotland

RSim

Post by RSim » Sat May 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Not sure if anyone watches SPL football but here's the goals and major incident from the end-game thriller in which we won 2-0 :D And although it's slightly off-topic, it kinda ties in with what this thread was about.

I'm normally up high looking down, but because it was so busy I had to go behind the goals where the angle wasn't ideal (blocked my players warming up at one point) but nevermind!

Flickr is better quality but most use youtube so i've catered for you all :)

1st Goal & Zander Celeb

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26406641@N05/2515305865/

2nd Goal

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26406641@N05/2516043177/

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBkMFXIifE

Novo Red Card

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26406641@N ... otostream/

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNARdweqj0A
Image Aberdeen, Scotland

cressers

Post by cressers » Sun May 25, 2008 1:07 am

there is shrinking of jouranlists/cameramen. Few channels, and improved efficiency. There are little or no new permanent jobs in TV and the competition is fierce. usually over a 100 for each post, all who speak finnish, all with extensive media experience in Finland.

I would say the freelance route offering something not available is a better option. But salaries/money in sports in domestic finland are much lower and so your services might be desirable,but would the price be acceptable to you?

RSim

Post by RSim » Sun May 25, 2008 8:14 am

cressers wrote:there is shrinking of jouranlists/cameramen. Few channels, and improved efficiency. There are little or no new permanent jobs in TV and the competition is fierce. usually over a 100 for each post, all who speak finnish, all with extensive media experience in Finland.

I would say the freelance route offering something not available is a better option. But salaries/money in sports in domestic finland are much lower and so your services might be desirable,but would the price be acceptable to you?
Absolutely. I'm currently on minimum wage.

However, i also currently use the company I work for's equipment, so it works both ways.

Not really sure how to proceed further with this... I really want to work in Finland. The videos in which i've posted have garnered over 20,000 views in 24hrs if you include people "stealing" them and posting them online, so they can't be bad. Word of mouth can be a great thing these days.

It's just a case of finding someone in Finland who will take me on as a worker.... Again, not sure how to proceed, though!
Image Aberdeen, Scotland