I want to try and sell my handmade jewels...

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Wed May 21, 2008 9:46 am

Ok, so for a while I have been making jewellery, I started with simple beaded necklaces, but I have been experimenting more and more and lately the materials I use range from felt, to mother of pearl, to repurposed paper. So far I have made these either for myself or as a gift, always getting compliments about them, and occasionally I've donated them to fundraisers, but now I'd like to take this hobby a little further and sell what I make, or at least try to :wink:
I already have plans about selling them online on etsy.com, but I would like to sell them also in boutiques, gift shops and similar.
I live in Tampere and I have at least some 3-4 places in mind where I think my things would sell, but first I would like to know what are the rules for selling things here in Finland, I mean, since I wouldn't be selling that big quantities, can I just try to go to a boutique, show some of my jewels and ask if they would be interested in buying them? or would they look at me as if I am crazy? do I need some kind of license to do this?
I was wondering if I really need a license, because this is just a hobby, in the "real life" I am a researcher, so I wouldn't have the time to make that many jewels and if by selling them I would earn 100-200euros/month that would already be a lot! I'm not planning to make a living out of this, just get some handy extra cash :wink: but on the other hand I don't want to do anything illegal!

A couple of years ago I sold something in Laukontori, I know how that works, but I don't have the time to do that anymore and besides that's something I would do only in the summer.
I also found a "käsityötori" in Turtola mall, which would have been great because you would have had to pay only a small fee to rent a shelf, but I guess it wasn't doing so great and it closed down about 10 days ago :(

Any advice, both regarding rules and potential "customers" is highly appreciated!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dolphingirl

Re: I want to try and sell my handmade jewels...

Post by dolphingirl » Mon May 26, 2008 1:05 pm

any advice anyone? :)

EP

Post by EP » Mon May 26, 2008 1:22 pm

can I just try to go to a boutique, show some of my jewels and ask if they would be interested in buying them? or would they look at me as if I am crazy?
Of course you can do that. And if they don´t want to buy them, they can at least sell them for you and add a little extra to the price as a comission.

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Mon May 26, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks EP, glad to see that I would be allowed to do that!

Yeah, both solutions would be fine with me, either the wholesale (they buy my jewels in bulk and then sell them at whatever price they want) or the consignment (they "display" them for me and get a share of what is sold), I was just worried that going to a shop and try to sell them/having them displaying my stuff would be considered illegal if you don't have a "toiminimi" or something similar...

EP

Post by EP » Mon May 26, 2008 2:01 pm

You don´t need a toiminimi. And you don´t need to pay value added tax (ALV) unless you sell more than 8500 € worth per year. (I am not sure if it is still 8500 €) If you want to be on the safe side you can write down how much you have sold, and also how much the materials have cost, and add that to your tax declaration.

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Mon May 26, 2008 2:04 pm

thank you very much EP.

I really don't think I will be making that much money, even if it would be nice of course :wink:

dessi_tm

Post by dessi_tm » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Hy! my name is Dniela and I'm from Romania. I've moved here, because my father works in Vammala, near Tampere. I've graduated Fine Arts Faculty, product and indoor/outdoor design, and now I'm searching a job in Finland, more specific, in Tampere, Turku, Kuopio, but not only. In Romania I was doing more of this handmade jewelry, painted furniture, unique gifts, and I was hoping that I can find something like this in Finland, because it's seems boring to me to work on the computer. [email protected], this is my mail. If you have time maybe we can talk more.
I'm waiting a news from you!
All the best!
Daniela
there's still another game to play, but life is beautiful that way!

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 am

thanks dessi, but at the moment I'm not looking for a "business partner" or anything. I do have a nice job already so doing handicrafts is more like a hobby and I was wondering if anybody in Tampere area would be interested in BUYING what I make so that I could get some extra money :wink:
I can forward you contacts if I find any in this sense, but so far I haven't had much luck.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

"they can at least sell them for you and add a little extra to the price as a comission."

The little commission is often 100% + iva, so that you end up with 40% of the final price. And it's a buyers market as there are plenty of hobbyists eager to make some extra money and few of their works have a distinctive character (or can be recognized as such). It's a crowded arena.