IT Systems & Cisco Enginner

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
finbar

Post by finbar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:52 am

Hi guys,

I'm also planning to move to Finland for about 6 months to start off with just to check it out and see if I can live there permanantely.

Will be looking for a Systems (Windows) engineering job or maybe networking with Cisco or HP. Or even Systems Admin.

Just really wanted to gage how likely I am to find a short term contract or even a perm. position in a short period of time. (We're planning on going travelling in 8 months so really need to save some money)

I'm from the UK and have been in IT as a Windows field engineer for the last 3 years and have alot of experience with Windows Servers/Exchange & a lot of other corporate applications, also have good knowlegde of networking. I have an MCSA 2003 which I hope to have upgraded to an MSCE soon. Also studying for a CCNA.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any experiences or advice that might help me. (I have read a lot of stuff on this site & not all of it makes for happy reading)

Should have mentioned I speak no Finnish & my girlfriend is Swedish speaking so she wants me to learn that first.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

catchmeifucan

Re: IT Systems & Cisco Enginner

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:30 pm

finbar wrote:Hi guys,

I'm also planning to move to Finland for about 6 months to start off with just to check it out and see if I can live there permanantely.

Will be looking for a Systems (Windows) engineering job or maybe networking with Cisco or HP. Or even Systems Admin.

Just really wanted to gage how likely I am to find a short term contract or even a perm. position in a short period of time. (We're planning on going travelling in 8 months so really need to save some money)

I'm from the UK and have been in IT as a Windows field engineer for the last 3 years and have alot of experience with Windows Servers/Exchange & a lot of other corporate applications, also have good knowlegde of networking. I have an MCSA 2003 which I hope to have upgraded to an MSCE soon. Also studying for a CCNA.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any experiences or advice that might help me. (I have read a lot of stuff on this site & not all of it makes for happy reading)

Should have mentioned I speak no Finnish & my girlfriend is Swedish speaking so she wants me to learn that first.

Thanks
Questions:
1. Do you have a job offer in Finland?
2. If the answer of question 1 is no, then How do you intend to get job in a country which does not speak English?

Please be prepared to wait for months or years before you land yourself with a job which is not in you area of expertise. IWhat you have read in this forum is correct. Don't have huge expectations when you come here. It seems you have good qualifications and experience in IT and do a good job in you country. Don't be a fool to decide to live in a country where, you don't even have a job and don't even speak the language. Check out the recent posts you will understand what I mean. Anyways, wish you luck!!!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 am

If you got your certificates, the "big" ones like TietoEnator, Logica etc. do have job openings, or check at monster.fi
- Mind you though they've also been outsourcing the grunt jobs overseas, so your future job is already in India...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

hackoff

Post by hackoff » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:57 am

Hank W. wrote:so your future job is already in India...
i thought you had the same qualification ?! are you already in india `?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 am

I design the chaos, implementing it is going out fast...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.