Why is difficult to work for a finnish company?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
sisu2008

Post by sisu2008 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi everybody! I'm new here but in Finland I am from the begining of this year. I think this forum is a very good one so I decided to enter myself. Last Christmas I came here on vacation with my family and I became in love with this country. After that I decided to move here and here I am in Finland in a small town called Hollola near Lahti. But I never thought it will be so difficult for me in finding a job here. My job experience is not so usefull in here and I know that because I was a sales person and without any finnish language skills I did not expected to be a big advantage to me.
But now I am in a big trouble in finding a job because my family will come here soon and kids are going to school in august. I knew that I will do any kind of work and I am prepared for that but it seems to me that nobody is willing to give me a chance here.
I am not a nobody in here because I bought my own appartment in Hollola, I do have my own car. I am not asking for any kind of financial support, but it seems to me that even so if they here really (badly) need workers they are not so happy with somebody who is not a finnish person. Maybe I am wrong. I am doing my best in learning finnish, I have now this safety card for constuctions (Työturvallisuuskortti) but nothing.
I am mobile, I can go in other places for work, I am possitive in what I do. I can work nights, full time, part time, cleaning jobs, any construction jobs. I also have experience in tourism and transport where I worked for 6 years.
In fact I've seen many countries around Europe but no country is so closed as Finland is.
If anybody can give me any kind of advice I will be gratefull.
Kiitos!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Why is difficult to work for a finnish company?

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 pm

And who exactly told you to move to some small town in the middle of nowhere without having a job lined up first?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

catchmeifucan

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:47 pm

sisu2008 wrote:Hi everybody! I'm new here but in Finland I am from the begining of this year. I think this forum is a very good one so I decided to enter myself. Last Christmas I came here on vacation with my family and I became in love with this country. After that I decided to move here and here I am in Finland in a small town called Hollola near Lahti. But I never thought it will be so difficult for me in finding a job here. My job experience is not so usefull in here and I know that because I was a sales person and without any finnish language skills I did not expected to be a big advantage to me.
But now I am in a big trouble in finding a job because my family will come here soon and kids are going to school in august. I knew that I will do any kind of work and I am prepared for that but it seems to me that nobody is willing to give me a chance here.
I am not a nobody in here because I bought my own appartment in Hollola, I do have my own car. I am not asking for any kind of financial support, but it seems to me that even so if they here really (badly) need workers they are not so happy with somebody who is not a finnish person. Maybe I am wrong. I am doing my best in learning finnish, I have now this safety card for constuctions (Työturvallisuuskortti) but nothing.
I am mobile, I can go in other places for work, I am possitive in what I do. I can work nights, full time, part time, cleaning jobs, any construction jobs. I also have experience in tourism and transport where I worked for 6 years.
In fact I've seen many countries around Europe but no country is so closed as Finland is.
If anybody can give me any kind of advice I will be gratefull.
Kiitos!
You are a brave man. You have bought a home and car without having any job and/or having sufficent language skills in Finland :lightbulb: . My hats off to you. Better move to some big city I guess it will be easier for you to find job. Is there anyone who can vouch for you. I mean you are a foreigner whom none knows. You need to build up contacts.
I can just say best of luck. :thumbsup:

sisu2008

Post by sisu2008 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:55 pm

You see, I trusted some "friends" and when you are coming to a new place... You know what I mean. I think now that I was stupid enough to trust somebody who promissed me a job here, also that man being finnish 100%. And now I am facing consequences.
Last edited by sisu2008 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antstar

Post by antstar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:01 pm

sisu2008 wrote:You see, I trusted some "friends" and when you are coming to a new place... You know what I meen. I think now that I was stupid enough to trust somebody who promissed me a job here, also that man being finnish 100%. And now I am facing consequences.
Well that’s a bit more understandable if someone promised you work. Maybe you best think about moved to Helsinki, at least give yourself a better chance of finding work! Or maybe cancelling the move of your family until something comes up. If you have read this forum a lot you'll know that although we disagree on much on this subject, their is not much argument that it’s hard work finding employment. Good luck!

EP

Post by EP » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:10 pm

but it seems to me that even so if they here really (badly) need workers they are not so happy with somebody who is not a finnish person. Maybe I am wrong. I am doing my best in learning finnish, I have now this safety card for constuctions (Työturvallisuuskortti) but nothing.

I am mobile, I can go in other places for work, I am possitive in what I do. I can work nights, full time, part time, cleaning jobs, any construction jobs.
Construction workers are nowadays often Estonian or Russian, so it is not about being a Finnish person. But lack of language certainly makes job seeking difficult.

I just cannot understand how somebody can promise a job, watch the other person leave his old life, and take financial risks, and when all that is done, the creep does NOT hire him. How can he sleep his nights in peace.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:28 pm

EP wrote: How can he sleep his nights in peace.
This won't feel nice in your ears, but in the 15 years before I finally moved to Finland, I was thrice offered "guaranteed" work here, empty, throw-away lines from family and friends, fueled sometimes by alcohol, and sometimes by a wish to show-off bollock-size generally. "Ah, yes you will be ok, I will give a nod and a job will be yours". :roll:

I wish luck to the OP.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

norwich

Post by norwich » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:51 pm

And here, my friends, is an example of how positive stereotypes can be counterproductive. Finns being honest etc... there is another thread on this board by a Chinese vendor who trusted a Finnish client because she was a Finn...

sisu2008, I'm sorry to hear about your experience but it seems to me you have little choice but to relocate (perhaps out of the country) and postpone your family's move, as others have already suggested. I wish you all the best.

catchmeifucan

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:42 am

I remember this kind of incident with another person who, came to this country with her boy friend being promised several times that there are plenty of jobs in Finland (in certain area's). Last time I met her she was still searching for a job and had taken all the courses available for unemployed. The labour market is still not foreigner friendly. So, I am sure you will find quite much negative impression. By the way, are you EU or non-EU? white or black or brown? Like it or not these things matter in certain cases.

You can do two things
1. If you have money to manage another year. I guess you should immediately go for the language course. For unemployed ones there are free intensive language courses. If you have nothing else to do. You should be able to speak basic Finnish in the next 6-months. Atleast, the basic words required in you profession. In the mean time, try out jobs in big cities.
2. If you think you don't have money. Then immediately sale your stuff and go back to your country. I guess you should get few thousand euros more for your home if that covers your stay here till now then, you should consider yourself lucky.

A promise was made to you and it was your foolishness to trust a human being(from whatever nationality) and move to a country and setup a life. ARE YOU CRAZY?
There is no point blaming anyone because, I guess you are too deep in trouble. So, rather invest that time to find a solution.

Susan

Post by Susan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:28 pm

catchmeifucan wrote: A promise was made to you and it was your foolishness to trust a human being(from whatever nationality) and move to a country and setup a life. ARE YOU CRAZY?
There is no point blaming anyone because, I guess you are too deep in trouble. So, rather invest that time to find a solution.

Interesting way of giving support and a helping word.
What you said before was okay, but with your last paragraph you knocked me out.
A person who trusts "a human being" is not crazy, is just a person who trusts.
If trusting someone else means being crazy, what can we expect from this world?
What you say is sad. Don't you trust anybody? I wouldn't like to meet too many people like you. It makes me feel sad.

TRUST is one of the last things a human being should lose.

-Susan

Susan

Post by Susan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:01 pm

What is done is done. You can't go back to the past. It's part of your learning experience.
Now concentrate on your present and look at your future.
You susu2008 now need all the sisu you have in you. And if you really know the meaning of this wonderful Finnish word you know what I mean.

Never lose your trust. Trust is what makes wonderful things happen.
I guess you are a EU citizen as you didn't mention anything about a residence permit and you have been here since the beginning of the year. Am I right?

Being a EU citizen things are much easier, even being a foreigner. See, EU and Non-EU are different category of foreigners, or so it seems. That's not the point here anyway.

Think of all the possible things you can do. You mentioned you have a construction card or something, right?
Would you move to Helsinki?
I suggest you move to a big city. Helsinki, Tampere, Turku, I think it's okay. But before moving make contacts using the Internet.
A small town in not a place for a foreigner with no Finnish skills. Hank can say if I am wrong.

Check www.uranus.fi You might find something there.

Now it's time to think positive and trust yourself and your moves.

Moving to a new country requires to be strong. Moving to Finland requires double the strength.
If you really, really feel that this is the place you want to be, go ahead and fight.
If you don't have enough strength to fight, then ask yourself if this is really the place you want to be. Most of the results will depend on that.
Finland is a wonderful country and the Finns are wonderful creatures, -despite whatever other things someone else may say.
But to find the essence of the wonderful country you have to really dream of being in Finland.
It's not easy, doors don't open so easily, but there is always one door that is going to open for you when and if you are ready.
What I say may sound to you as something that sounds nice but it's not real. I say it is real. It is as real as you want it to be.
Finland needs people maybe like you, with sisu, people who trust. I say this because Finland is a land of sisu and a land of trust as well. If you have both, you're in the right place.
You said you came on vacation with your family for Christmas and you fell in love with the country. I believe that.
That tells me that the cold and dark days so many complain about didn't scare you.
Would that mean that you saw something else in Finland? Something that gave you the inner feeling that Finland is a good country for your family?
What did you find in Finland?
What did you feel when you were here for Christmas?
Those are important questions.

Think about what I have said.
I'll be back.

-Susan

sisu2008 wrote:You see, I trusted some "friends" and when you are coming to a new place... You know what I mean. I think now that I was stupid enough to trust somebody who promissed me a job here, also that man being finnish 100%. And now I am facing consequences.

Susan

Post by Susan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 pm

sisu2008 wrote:You see, I trusted some "friends" and when you are coming to a new place... You know what I mean. I think now that I was stupid enough to trust somebody who promissed me a job here, also that man being finnish 100%. And now I am facing consequences.
You said you have been a sales person and have also experience in transport and tourism:

What about asking in the tourist offices? What about driving a turist bus? Guiding tour groups in the languages you speak? What languages do you speak?

Keep on learning Finnish.

-Susan

sisu2008

Post by sisu2008 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:14 am

Thanks a lot to everybody!
I am deepely moved of the interest you guys have about my problems. But it seems to me that the door Susan is speaking of, finnally opened for me. I do not make the job I'm used to, but it is my first job here and I am learning a lot. And now I am so happy because I finnally do have the job to support my family. :D
I have to tell everyone on this forum not to give up in searching for a better life. I know Finland is that place, a quiet place, secure and maybe with the best school in the world. For all the families living here it is a great chance for development in every way.
I am not scared of the darkness of winter or of the rainy summer because I can see the beauty of this country and the beauty of the human beeing living here. I am coming from an european country, but I think no matter where you stranger are comming from you have a chance here.

Good luck to everyone and I hope for the best :thumbsup:
sisu2008

Susan

Post by Susan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:34 am

sisu2008 wrote:Thanks a lot to everybody!
I am deepely moved of the interest you guys have about my problems. But it seems to me that the door Susan is speaking of, finnally opened for me. I do not make the job I'm used to, but it is my first job here and I am learning a lot. And now I am so happy because I finnally do have the job to support my family. :D
I have to tell everyone on this forum not to give up in searching for a better life. I know Finland is that place, a quiet place, secure and maybe with the best school in the world. For all the families living here it is a great chance for development in every way.
I am not scared of the darkness of winter or of the rainy summer because I can see the beauty of this country and the beauty of the human beeing living here. I am coming from an european country, but I think no matter where you stranger are comming from you have a chance here.

Good luck to everyone and I hope for the best :thumbsup:
sisu2008
Wonderful! =D I am very happy to hear it is working for you.

I like what you wrote here. You sound like a person Finland needs, strong in mind and convictions, strong in his will for development, courageous, with a clear vision of what is good. You trust yourself and your inner Self. You trust, that is beautiful, you are one of the few who can see Finland. You see through the darkness and the coldness, you see the real beauty of Finland; you see the real beauty of the people who live here. You see Finland. Not everybody can it, sometimes not even the Finns.

I am happy you are here.

I am also one of the few who can saw Finland the fist time I came here just on vacation, like you. I also fell in love with Finland. I didn't have a job either, but I had found my home and it was worth fighting for it. It's a long story.

-Susan

catchmeifucan

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Susan wrote:
catchmeifucan wrote: A promise was made to you and it was your foolishness to trust a human being(from whatever nationality) and move to a country and setup a life. ARE YOU CRAZY?

Interesting way of giving support and a helping word.
What you said before was okay, but with your last paragraph you knocked me out.
A person who trusts "a human being" is not crazy, is just a person who trusts.
If trusting someone else means being crazy, what can we expect from this world?
What you say is sad. Don't you trust anybody? I wouldn't like to meet too many people like you. It makes me feel sad.

TRUST is one of the last things a human being should lose.

-Susan
Well, you were a person who needed things in black and white. You can think anything about my comments but, they were meant to help you. Sometimes, harsh words are better. Life taught me believe everyone but, trust only the ones whom you know for years. It normally works. You may have a different idea. Fine!!!
I am happy to find a positive person like you. In my previous post, I mentioned about two practical choices.

BEST OF LUCK!!! :thumbsup: