Language course + oppisopimus

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Nickcoy

Post by Nickcoy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently living in Seinajoki with my girlfriend (same auld story I’m afraid) and we are moving to Helsinki in October, I have my RP (everything has been viewed by the police and the maistraatti – where they look how much money you have to support yourself and how much your spouse or partner earns.)

As soon as I arrive in Helsinki I will be going to the local job centre to try and apply to get onto a language course. So here it comes to my first question –

Has anyone/ does anyone know how long it will take after I apply? (My girlfriend has spoken to someone from a police station in Helsinki who said it shouldn’t be to long maybe 2-3 months after applying – but I don’t think they were the correct department to speak to regarding this stuff.)

What are the hours of the course?

I hear off a few friends of mine who currently live in Oulu that after you have done this language course there are a few options, either go back to school (not something I really want to do but if needs be I will) or go to vocational school – is this the oppisopimus?

Has anyone on this forum been on a oppisopimus course? From what I understand it is a work placement and if you impress them you have quite a good chance of being offered a permanent contract – (I have to be honest and say that I take most things I hear about employment opportunities in Finland with a pinch of salt as people will say anything to you to give you a glimmer of hope – where I like to be realistic and by the looks of things so do many of the people who use this forum) I am perhaps being unrealistic in thinking that I will get onto one of these courses and even if I did – at the moment I am just assuming that I can enrol straight after the language course has finished and start straight away – is this normal or would you have to wait a long time?

To get to the point I am interested in looking at oppisopimus after the language course as it looks like a very good entry into employment – has anyone attended one of these courses?

Does anyone know if there is any kind of oppisopimus course or route to becoming an electrician instead of going to vocational school?

Any feedback will be appreciated, I won’t be offended it will give me more scope and hopefully will help my girlfriend and I to make the best decision.

To be honest I would like you to be critical and to pick holes in our plan –

Cheers Nick
Last edited by Nickcoy on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Nickcoy

Re: Language course + oppisopimus

Post by Nickcoy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:39 pm

CORRECTION - My girlfriend spoke to someone from the jobcentre regarding the language course which is the right department - but this person couldn't confirm how long it would be and gave an apporx time.