Forced Vacation/Lay-Off (Lomauttaa)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
sharpstone

Post by sharpstone » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Does anybody know the law/policy governing Forced vacation (what the Finns call "Lomauttaa)?

Someone told me that, when your employer is forced to send someone off on "vacation", they are obliged to pay 60% of the salary, for a certain period

If the individual, does not belong to any union, then the situation is different.

But how different?

Any ideas?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Forced Vacation/Lay-Off (Lomauttaa)

Post by onkko » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:23 pm

I dont know about lomautus but generally union agreements are "globally tied" so no matter if youre in union or not same rules will apply.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

sharpstone

Post by sharpstone » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:24 pm

I dont know about lomautus but generally union agreements are "globally tied" so no matter if youre in union or not same rules will apply.
Ok. But what ARE those rules? That's what I am interested in

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Nope, you get unemployment benefits when you are "lomautettu", its a version of being laid off without severing the employment contract. Basically if you do not belong to the unemployment fund you are screwed. http://www.ytk.fi/index.asp?id=173 => benefits ABC & legislation so that should keep you occupied for a while. :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

I checked rules and if you are "lomautettu" you will get basic unemployment money. Check your "työttömyysrahasto" (your union if youre in one) how to get it or if you arent in one or haveny been long enough in one then työvoimatoimisto.
Iirc you have to be 10 months in first time and 6 months on others to get "unemployment benefit what depends how much you earn" from liitto.
http://www.tyosuojelu.fi/fi/lomautus
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:35 pm

onkko wrote:I checked rules and if you are "lomautettu" you will get basic unemployment money. Check your "työttömyysrahasto" (your union if youre in one) how to get it or if you arent in one or haveny been long enough in one then työvoimatoimisto.
Iirc you have to be 10 months in first time and 6 months on others to get "unemployment benefit what depends how much you earn" from liitto.
http://www.tyosuojelu.fi/fi/lomautus
And max 60 percent with karansi, if you have received holiday money they reduce that too(absurd to my idea but there are more stoneage examples here. Could somebody tell me one good thing that the unions or government has done to protect worker employment rights here in Finland (not all those leaves which are not for everybody)? Probably only for the paperworkers but they feel it too now. It is almost in every european country better (yes, for the perissuomalaiset here I should go there then but shut the .... up when you are yourself in the situation)Ofcourse for Finns there will be work to choose from.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:44 pm

I'd like to hear Daryl come answer that. ;)
Cheers, Hank W.

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Hank W. wrote:I'd like to hear Daryl come answer that. ;)
Also part of the perussuomalaiset comity :lol:

Out of breath Hank?

catzie

Post by catzie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 am

This is a very good website www.tyj.fi/default.asp?id=92 to find info if you need info about unemployment benefits.

To be entitled to unemployment benefits, you need to be entitled to KELA benefits first and be signed up the unemployment office (työvoimatoimisto).

sharpstone

Post by sharpstone » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:38 am

This is a very good website www.tyj.fi/default.asp?id=92 to find info if you need info about unemployment benefits.

To be entitled to unemployment benefits, you need to be entitled to KELA benefits first and be signed up the unemployment office (työvoimatoimisto

Ok. Thanks.

I am signed up with KELA (although I have not visited either KELA or the unemployment office in nearly 2 years, because I have been working full-time since 2006).

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 am

KELA is irrelevant - if you haven't contributed to an unemployment fund you don't get anything but the KELA base.
Cheers, Hank W.

sharpstone

Post by sharpstone » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:31 pm

you don't get anything but the KELA base
by KELA base, I assume you mean the basic monthly unemployment peanuts from KELA?

I see

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:46 pm

Yeah, you need to belong to an unemployment fund (10 months) to get the 60% "dole". Otherwise you can scratch your ass and wonder whats all the hype about unemployment benefits.
Cheers, Hank W.

sharpstone

Post by sharpstone » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Yeah, you need to belong to an unemployment fund (10 months) to get the 60% "dole". Otherwise you can scratch your ass and wonder whats all the hype about unemployment benefits.
I guess that pretty much settles it for me :( :(

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 pm

sharpstone wrote:
I guess that pretty much settles it for me :( :(
Thanks for the taxes you paid so this parlement can go to (paid) holiday for 3 months :twisted: