Finns-friendly way of job application?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Hei!
the situation is that I've sent a mass of applications by email for different positions and different companies. But the result is I've no job. Now I came to Finland to try another way of job searching. Not Internet but direct contact. How do you think is it worth trying to come directly to employer and say: "hello! I would like to work for you. Could you give me a job?"?
Will it work with finnish peoples?

Huge thanks for answers in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karhunkoski

Re: Finns-friendly way of job application?

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Make friends among people with influence. Get someone to say, "joo joo, I know him, he's ok". And that's it, simple.

In summary, get into some bars, meet people, spend a few months building up your network.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 pm

_Traveller wrote:Hei!
the situation is that I've sent a mass of applications by email for different positions and different companies. But the result is I've no job. Now I came to Finland to try another way of job searching. Not Internet but direct contact. How do you think is it worth trying to come directly to employer and say: "hello! I would like to work for you. Could you give me a job?"?
Will it work with finnish peoples?

Huge thanks for answers in advance!
Excellent option in most cases would be to apply in finnish.
Then comes the networking. (nobody will recommend you if your language limitations are there stopping you)

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:35 am

An e-mail is easy to ignore, no need to think of excuses.
Personal contacts (even better with a good reference) will be looked at more seriously.
It probably slightly improve your chances.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 pm

I applied for 28 jobs when I came to Finland, I only ever got 6 replies and 1 interview...

Luckily I got the job but that gives you an indication of what to expect. You don't even get a email back most of the time :?

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Tiwaz wrote: Excellent option in most cases would be to apply in finnish.
Then comes the networking. (nobody will recommend you if your language limitations are there stopping you)
How it is possible to applay in finnish if a person doesn't speak this language, may be he or she speaks a bit of English, but to learn Finnish on more-less good level it will take 3-4 years. On what money he or she will survive that time?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:35 pm

finlandforumuser wrote: How it is possible to applay in finnish if a person doesn't speak this language,
gives you a hint, doesn't it?
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
finlandforumuser wrote: How it is possible to applay in finnish if a person doesn't speak this language,
You mean learn Finnish? and without it no way? Hmm, strange. My wife just this spring was looking for job. She is fresh grad at local AMK. She doesn't speak Finnish, just some English, no connection or network. Well, it was not easy, but she found treanee-job in 8 weeks. Basically, every week it was some intrest to her CV. She is in Web design and development. It looks most of complanies in Helsinki speak English.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:59 pm

yes so computer tech is up the ladder, the higher you get the less finnish you need, if your only talent is two hands and black & decker the probably of the person hiring doesn't speak many languages
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Pursuivant wrote:yes so computer tech is up the ladder, the higher you get the less finnish you need

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 am

finlandforumuser wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:yes so computer tech is up the ladder, the higher you get the less finnish you need
Yet, everyone is not IT wizard. And competition even in that field can be tough, depending on location.

Right now they are hiring left and right, but as economic slowdown hits, there will be less jobs.

In the end, employers employ who they want. If you do not speak finnish, your options are limited to those who do not care. If you speak finnish, your options just widened greatly.

And it doesn't matter how much you need that job. Employers are not social security. It is YOUR duty to make yourself employable.

In every field there are some exceptions. But ground rule is that no finnish = no job. Sooner every immigrant grasp this and get motivated to learn the language, the better. Please do not feed false hopes on those who already have moved in or plan to move in.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:19 pm

But ground rule is that no finnish = no job.
There are (plenty) of opportunities for non Finnish speaking foreigners.
But unfortunately, there are many more looking for a job than there are opportunities.
So many will end up without a job.
If you speak Finnish, your job hunting area increases significantly.

_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 pm

yes, I understand the necessity of finnish language.
I speak a little but feel that it's not enough. One seem to have an excellent level of finnish, doesn't he?
I'm not an EU, don't have finnish work permit and have been applying for job since January and still have no result. A couple of interviews and that's all... It's tragic...

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:06 pm

_Traveller wrote:yes, I understand the necessity of finnish language.
I speak a little but feel that it's not enough. One seem to have an excellent level of finnish, doesn't he?
I'm not an EU, don't have finnish work permit and have been applying for job since January and still have no result. A couple of interviews and that's all... It's tragic...
... but why can't you work at your home country?

PS. lack of work permit is far bigger barier then Finnish language.

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Tiwaz wrote: Yet, everyone is not IT wizard. And competition even in that field can be tough, depending on location.
Right now they are hiring left and right, but as economic slowdown hits, there will be less jobs.
If economic slowdown hits the world then it will be less jobs in every area. Currently, IT is least affected area. Anyway, it is not wise to plan your future in pessimistic expectations only.
Tiwaz wrote: Employers are not social security.
Oh, really, excellent conclusion!

Tiwaz wrote: But ground rule is that no finnish = no job.
This is above is somewhat un-true. The biggest issue in job hunter for foreign is work permit, only next, is the language. The language requirement is not equal in all specialities, there are 3 categories (IMHO):

1. housekeeping, window cleaning, garbage collection, etc. Here is language requirements are very basic. 300 words is good enough.

2. Some mid class jobs, like factory workers, clerks, sails mans, etc. Here is yes, normally, it is very hard to get a job without Finnish language.

3. Qualified professionals, software programmers, doctors, teachers, engineers, etc. As more skills you have, aka, as more profit a person can make for its company as less need in his Finnish language. Commonly, the salaries at this group is much better then in first two. If you target on this group, you should decide where spend your effort on learning language or growing up professional skills and obtaining certificates. Also, I guess, you understand, that even you would learn the language you will be just as equal as other finns, but you should be better to competitive.