Taking the first steps

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Skywalker

Taking the first steps

Post by Skywalker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:01 am

Ok , ive been here for nearly 7 months now and i've been luckily enough to get work, and i am now a freelancer. But for along time now i've wanted to have my own company, and i'm now deciding to just go for it.
My profession is as a scenic carpenter and propmaker. I build/design sets for tv shows, films, music videos, commercials, pretty much anything. I also design and make props for the same areas, i make replica items from films and games (im currently working on a replica of the ironman helmet). I can design/make props out of polystyrene, latex,foam, fibreglass, pretty much any medium. I know i have the skills and the drive to make this business work ,there is a pretty big market in Finland, and an even bigger market in the rest of Europe.
What im looking for is a business partner to join me in this venture. Now im not talking about meeting someone for a pint and then just starting work, it will take a little while for me to find the right person.

Ok so thats pretty much the basics of my side of it for now. If your interested and want to talk to me more about it then please feel free to PM and we can go from there. But there are a few things that im looking for from a person or peoples who are interested.

1) You must have some skills in all or some or the following, Carpentry/sculpting/glass fibre use/painting/design/AutoCAD/3DS max/photoshop etc... (if your skill isn't listed here and you think its worth contacting me , please do)
2) Preferably i would like someone who either does or has done work in the entertainments industry
3) have a passion for the arts and a good creative eye
4) Reasonable leadership skills, be outgoing and be comfortable talking to people
5)You must know at least some Finnish and have a desire to learn more
6)Ideally be based in the Tampere/Pirkanmaa area, but this is not so important, so dont let this factor put you off.

Ok, so ive been putting off this for a while, but i think now seems like the right time for me to start the wheels in motion. So if you think this sounds like a good idea and you want to be considered then please conatct me via PM. If you have a portfolio then even better, let me know and we can arrange getting it to me.

Thanks for your time and i hope to hear from all the talent that's out there

Kris

This is probably going to get a tonne of replies saying "your wasting your time" etc etc, I DONT care about those views. This is my dream, and i want to give it everything i have!

Taking the first steps

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Taking the first steps

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:19 am

there was actually one PaulF who imagined of doing the same, but he's back in California battling with the studios... maybe if you dig his email up ... dunno, his portfolio had the cave in pirates of the caribbean so he ought to know something of something...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:44 am

7) a head for business...

Don't forget the realities of having your own business... finding funds, managing your working capital, bookkeeping and paying tax on time, negotiating contracts and pricing your projects (so you make a profit and still keep your customers happy). You wouldn't believe how many GREAT business ideas never get off the ground because the basic finances are all over the place.

Good luck, sounds like you have a real passion for what you do! :thumbsup:

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Yes , you must also have a good head for business and have some knowledge of the runnings of a business. (thank you penelope!)

I'm also interested to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of things like animatronics/mechanical devices and design.

iv'e had a few people contacting me regarding this post but havent had any major developements yet , so keep them coming!!