Broadcast jobs wanted

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
otyikondo

Re: Broadcast jobs wanted

Post by otyikondo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:50 am

YLE broadcast Beijing in HD. It was covered by several other carriers, including Canal+, Saunalahti, and MTV3.

I'm somewhat surprised you didn't know this already. Forewarned is forearmed.

And I concur with those who have warned against hubris in these matters: a little good advice is better than a barrowload of platitudes and pats on the back telling you how easy it will be and "go for it". Even in niche professions, Finland is not a soft touch.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:11 am

poe.tuesday wrote: I find it amazing that some of you want to find fault with my quest rather than assisting but thankfully there are others on this forum that are willing to guide and advise, who would have thought that so much negative emotion would have been stirred just by asking if there is a website that advertises jobs in broadcast
so where is that management job then you is being hired at?
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

EP

Post by EP » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:07 pm

cheers to all of those of you who have kept my faith in the Finnish as being good people
Most people on this board are not Finns. They are ex-pats who have first hand experience on moving and settling into Finland. And they are just being realists.

kay30

Post by kay30 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:13 pm

finlandforumuser wrote:Job search engines (mol.fi, monster.fi) are much better than a connection. Search for opened positions, send CV. Sooner or later you find the job.
I'm sorry. I had to read this a few times to make sure I was actually reading this correctly.

Are you seriously suggesting that sending a resume on monster.fi is a better way to find a job than personally knowing someone at the company? :shock: If so, I can then safely say that this is some of the crappiest advice I have ever read on this board (and that is saying a lot). I am getting really tired of reading all the stupid, useless advice on this board.

Please explain how a personal connection at a company would not help you but monster.fi (where the company gets thousands of CV's) would. I am really interested in hearing your explanation.
raamv wrote:The first principle of job hunting: Its not what you know but who you know
Yes. Raamv is 100% right. Anyone who has not lived in a cave for the past 100 years knows this.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:20 pm

kay30 wrote:
finlandforumuser wrote:Job search engines (mol.fi, monster.fi) are much better than a connection. Search for opened positions, send CV. Sooner or later you find the job.
I'm sorry. I had to read this a few times to make sure I was actually reading this correctly.

Are you seriously suggesting that sending a resume on monster.fi is a better way to find a job than personally knowing someone at the company? :shock: If so, I can then safely say that this is some of the crappiest advice I have ever read on this board (and that is saying a lot). I am getting really tired of reading all the stupid, useless advice on this board.

Please explain how a personal connection at a company would not help you but monster.fi (where the company gets thousands of CV's) would. I am really interested in hearing your explanation.

kay30

Post by kay30 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:00 pm

Sorry. :lol: But it was dumb enough to be serious. PS: Troll is spelled wrong in your sign! :)

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:59 pm

kay30 wrote:Are you seriously suggesting that sending a resume on monster.fi is a better way to find a job than personally knowing someone at the company? :shock:
Yes, I'm serious (nothing with trolling).

When I came to Finland at age of 26 I had no connections, no major reputation around Finnish companies, I even was not sure what is capital city of Finland. What I had, it was good CV, very good education (master degree in Computer Science), expertise knowledge in specific domain and of course wide experience supported by good recommendations letters. That is it. I would not say it was easy to find the job, but I managed it, especially important, I'm non EU citizen and a prospective employer had to sponsor WP.

Nowadays, after almost decade in Finland, I earned enough. I could promote, basically, any person. I could make such favor for my former school mates, colleagues, etc. Well, I would not do it, unless I'm sure in his skills. Moreover, if I would need judgement on person where one is my friend in mind and another is just man from street, my verdict will be based only on personalities and how much he or she can contribute to my company, but not on relation. This is valid for most people whom I know: face-2-face interview, CV, recommendations tell much more than connection.

Such hiring practice applies for most of modern and developed companies.. Look how Microsoft hires. Person submits his CV, then he goes via filter of scening, phone interview and if he shows good skills then he is called to series of interviews with prospective team. Normally, this is on site job interview. The offer depends only of result of how well candidate performed. Having connection might speed up a bit the process of getting into the interview, but won't change anything conceptually.

You should understand any company during hiring looks for people to contribute its profit and only that. No race, language, connection with current employer are matter unless money to earn on shoulders of the candidate.

antstar

Post by antstar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:15 pm

poe.tuesday wrote:I find it amazing that some of you want to find fault with my quest rather than assisting but thankfully there are others on this forum that are willing to guide and advise, who would have thought that so much negative emotion would have been stirred just by asking if there is a website that advertises jobs in broadcast

In the past I and a number of others have on several occasions had "disagreements" about the way people are advised on this forum. Having read this thread i can honestly this time side with the members giving advice here. I think most of it is constructive advice...what did you expect? someone to offer you a position you were after? If you know so much about your industry, and i'm not saying you don't, why are you asking for help here? surely you must have some contacts! these people have given their time to try and help you and give some useful comments, unlike some of the abuse that has been given in the past. Like EP says most people are expats who know about little difficulties, and most is just good helpful advice.

antstar

Post by antstar » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:20 pm

kay30 wrote:
I am getting really tired of reading all the stupid, useless advice on this board.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kay30

Post by kay30 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:23 pm

finlandforumuser wrote: When I came to Finland at age of 26 I had no connections, no major reputation around Finnish companies, I even was not sure what is capital city of Finland. What I had, it was good CV, very good education (master degree in Computer Science), expertise knowledge in specific domain and of course wide experience supported by good recommendations letters. That is it. I would not say it was easy to find the job, but I managed it, especially important, I'm non EU citizen and a prospective employer had to sponsor WP.
Yes, but, (and if I have done the math right) that would mean you came to Finland roughly between 1998-2000 with an MA in Computer Science right at the height of the internet boom. So that probably also helped things. Not saying that you are not talented, I am sure you are, but those things have to be accounted for as well.

Secondly, I don't dispute that people need to have the required skills to get any job BUT you can't seriously argue that two people, with roughly the same skill sets will have the same chance of getting hired if one person knows someone at the company and the other does not. Obviously, no one gets hired without any skills just because they know somebody. That was never a point of dispute. The point of dispute was telling someone to send their CV into the blackhole that is monster.fi, rather than work on getting to know the people in their field and what that field is all about in Finland. I have never, ever got a job based on sending my CV anywhere. It was always because I had the needed skills AND I knew someone at the company.

antstar

Post by antstar » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:27 am

I don't think you will get many people seriously disagreeing with you Kay, such a huge advantage having someone vouch for you that if you also have the necessary skills you going to be in a much better position.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 am

otyikondo wrote:YLE broadcast Beijing in HD. It was covered by several other carriers, including Canal+, Saunalahti, and MTV3.
As an aside ... were you able to get the HD broadcasts on Yle? (No sign of HD on our cable network yet.)
poe.tuesday wrote:canal+ is part of the telenor group and does not actually own a tv network, it just transmits HD content from other suppliers, it also does not transmit from Finland and I am looking for work in Finland, so this is good news for me as the Finnish broadcasters will hopefully be looking to go HD and if they do then this is where there will be employement opportunities for me, cheers for the info sinikala
So the Finnish pundits who give their half time appraisals on the sports channels aren't really in Finland? :shock:

Alastair

Post by Alastair » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:07 am

kay30 wrote:Sorry. :lol: But it was dumb enough to be serious. PS: Troll is spelled wrong in your sign! :)
Well troll is spelt wrong in your sentance. Wait... Nevermind.

dave071061

Post by dave071061 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:19 pm

poe.tuesday wrote: I know my business kay30 and I know that I do not need to speak anything other than English to do what I do,
While you might not need to speak English to do your job I am not aware of any of the broadcast companies in Finland who have chosen English as their business language, which means all the tools they use and all your everyday information will be in Finnish, So I wouldn’t be too quick to assume that you won't need at least a basic level of Finnish to work effectively.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:26 pm

finlandforumuser wrote: Such hiring practice applies for most of modern and developed companies..
ah yes, you just forget one thing. this is Finland... the post of cardinal nephew is still quite a powerful one in some places. and some professions are more inbred than others... the IT is one of the few ones that has internationalized... and what you said to getting into the interview - see now how would you even know there is a job available unless you had someone inside? a lot of the jobs never surface anywhere...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."