C++ prog salary and opportunities

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
xussrcppcoder

Post by xussrcppcoder » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I am Russian c++ programmer and I have idea to work in Finland. I checked moster and mol fi, there are quite of few opportunities. I'm from St. Petersburg, which is only 380 km from Helsinki. My current salary is 75 k rur/month (net), it is about 2200 euro. It is high salary for my region, but I'm senior programmer with 5 years of experience. How much I can in Finland (net)? My wife is accountant and she has 32 K rur/month (about 1k euro). Can she find at least the same salary in Finland? We both speak good English.

Thank you! Have good day!
CppCoder.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: C++ prog salary and opportunities

Post by rinso » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:10 pm

Salary is the least of your worries.
First there is the residence permit. Since you're not EU your future employer has to prove that there are no suitable candidates for the job available in the EU.
Second, the language. It is possible to get a job in IT without Finnish language skills. But most employers prefer people who can speak at least some Finnish. Yesterday Mies Belgiasta told he couldn't get a job for which he qualified professionally (he even got an inside reference) because of his lack of Finnish. It is a barrier, but it is not impossible.

Your wife should be able to earn more than 1k €, if she finds a job. For her the language barrier will be a real issue.

xussrcppcoder

Re: C++ prog salary and opportunities

Post by xussrcppcoder » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks, this is very much synch with my expectations. Well, I would better to look on AUS or CAN sides. Their requirementes look more simple and it seems recurting agents contact very promply (in finland I didn't get _any_ responses on my CV ha-ha).

sign off, your coders.