skilled & polyglot student looking for any job!

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Willhelm Tell

Post by Willhelm Tell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:22 am

hey.... i'm 24 (m), looking for a < 50% job in helsinki. teaching experience, excellent in german, french and english. finnish is progressing well. i study economics. i'm also physically well-built and willing to carry out any conceivable. the wage is not that important but at least over 5 euros/hour. - i do anything!

thanks
Last edited by Willhelm Tell on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Re: highly-skilled & polyglot student looking for any job!

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:46 am

Siis niinku tosi siistii miten sä hiffaat noi kielet.
Valtaosa mamuista ei oikeen tajua mitään vaikka kui kaua olisivat tääl.

Jotai ne urputtaa jostai murteist tai slangist. Iha tajutonta.

So... How much of that you were able to figure out?
Sad realitycheck, most Finns do not speak school Finnish, local dialect and personal background cause significant variations from official norm. Resulting in use of Finnish in actual life to be quite a different thing from what studying might hint at.

You must also understand that you are coming to Finland when economy is winding down. With all the YT and other joyful letter combinations going on all over there isn't necessarily shortage of potential labor for low skill duties. And when these workers can and do understand spoken Finnish it puts you in very bad position.

Just be realistic at your expectations and do not waste your money presuming you start making more soon.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 am

...and most Finns are polyglot.

OTOH, if you speak Russian (which most Finns do not) you might find a job in waiting or retail in the city centre. Especially during the Xmas shopping season, plenty of Russians are (STILL) spending their money in Helsinki.

Willhelm Tell

Post by Willhelm Tell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:10 pm

...do not waste your money presuming you start making more soon.[/quote]

where did i presume to start making more?.. and more than what?.. and the reason for me being on the anticipated lookout for a job even on sth. like 'finlandforum', which is not at all specialized on employment, speaks volume about my consciousness of the economic situation!.. still, thanks for trying to put me back down to earth...though you obviously really don't need!

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Willhelm Tell wrote: where did i presume to start making more?.. and more than what?.. and the reason for me being on the anticipated lookout for a job even on sth. like 'finlandforum', which is not at all specialized on employment, speaks volume about my consciousness of the economic situation!.. still, thanks for trying to put me back down to earth...though you obviously really don't need!
You presumed by starting to ask for work and you have very short and defined period when you can work. Odds of you scoring job with very basic if any Finnish skills which fits your needs for period you need are close to nil. Because of that, you will be mostly stuck with whatever money you bring with you. Thus making various student extravaganzas rather poor option if they cost money.

If you use money, assuming you find some job, you might end up with no cash and no income.

Willhelm Tell

Re: skilled & polyglot student looking for any job!

Post by Willhelm Tell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:52 pm

First by claiming me to want to make 'more' money necessitates a (mentioned) condition of pre-income, which i won't have; my current income in finland equals zero... i'm not going to engage into wage negotiations given that i have none!
Sencond, trying is better than not, still applies!
Third, i speak German (setting swiss-german aside!), French and English, which puts me into a quite different ability niche than if i were to speak Finnish, Swedish and English.
and fourth... reconsider :"If you use money, assuming you find some job, you might end up with no cash and no income."... makes reeeeeaally no sense!:))

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Willhelm Tell wrote:First by claiming me to want to make 'more' money necessitates a (mentioned) condition of pre-income, which i won't have; my current income in finland equals zero... i'm not going to engage into wage negotiations given that i have none!
Sencond, trying is better than not, still applies!
Third, i speak German (setting swiss-german aside!), French and English, which puts me into a quite different ability niche than if i were to speak Finnish, Swedish and English.
and fourth... reconsider :"If you use money, assuming you find some job, you might end up with no cash and no income."... makes reeeeeaally no sense!:))
Simple. When you come to Finland, you have XXXX euros. You will not most likely get a job. So every month your amount of XXXX euros will be bit smaller than before. More you spend, less you have. If amount of your expenditures and money you have available for being in Finland are equal one day, you are with 0 euros. Which means you can afford to scratch your arse but not much else.

Second, trying is good, but just accept that most likely you will not get a job and live accordingly.

Third, German is not in huge need in Finland. But for any worker, Finnish is in extremely high need. You overestimate, like most foreigners, importance of your language skills and how horribly your lack of Finnish works against you. There really is little to no need for someone who speaks German and French. Practically none at all! So why would anyone hire you, since you lack fluent capability to communicate with just about every single individual you meet in language they prefer?

raamv

Post by raamv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:16 am

todellisuutta:

Muu maa: odotukset korkealla, matala toivoo,

Suomi:Odotukset matala, korkea toivoo

raamv

Post by raamv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 am

tummansininen wrote:
Secondly, your best bet imo is to contact all the foreign companies you can find in Finland whose head offices are in English-, German- or French-speaking countries. You may find some work also as a tutor for students learning German or French. (As for English, Finns tend to more educated in English grammar than native speakers...)
You also underestimate the amount of Finns who study German and French at the same time.
Moreover, Just becos the HQ are in Germany r France dont mean that they generally hire those speaking in those tongues...( cept in Nuclear reactor building etc)
so as Tiwaz puts it...chances are closer to 0 than anything..
So read my previous post..In Finnish :twisted:

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:28 am

Chances are 0 to none only if you don't do anything and don't try. Its tough to get a job here thats for sure. And it is good that people know that from the start, and even then they are blind to how difficult it really is. But you won't get anything if you don't try.

When I graduated from school here it took me forever to find a "real" job and I even spoke Finnish. But after you get one job, it gets easier to get others and work your way up the food chain :)

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:39 am

jas_rho wrote:Chances are 0 to none only if you don't do anything and don't try. Its tough to get a job here thats for sure. And it is good that people know that from the start, and even then they are blind to how difficult it really is. But you won't get anything if you don't try.

When I graduated from school here it took me forever to find a "real" job and I even spoke Finnish. But after you get one job, it gets easier to get others and work your way up the food chain :)
Yes, because you learned how to act to make good impression.

What are odds that our Swiss chap here learns it in time he is present?
What I advice above all else is that he lives as if the money he knows he has is everything he will have for whole period of staying in Finland. Because odds are in favor of them being.
So that we do not get another bitter immigrant who is out of money and no job and has to scrape by for another few weeks. Instead we have bitter immigrant who lives on macaroni and tuna, but at least he is fed and bitter.

Willhelm Tell

Post by Willhelm Tell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:08 pm

After all i've read i've now gained a gradual impression of you (plural) being reluctant to foreigners temporarily (or not) migrating to finland unless they're able to show relatively high securities in monetary or educational (finnish!) terms. Among the OECD countries, i'm sure, if i were to regress i'd find a trade-off between taxes and the amount of foreigners resident. presumably wage taxes and social transfer would matter most. Yet, i know it is a daunting task to get rid of the endogeneity problem of the variable under scrutiny... but possible. finland, being a high-tax thus - to some extent - generically social democratic country, has its legitimacy to be more suspicious towards immigration than traditionally migration countries like the UK or the US as high governmental and/or sub-governmental spending into public goods, disability payments, umemployment transfers and the like is understandably less supposed to be spent on immigrants; capitalizing on that would be easier where redistribution is implemented more generously. As for me, it wouldn't appeal to my conscience to avail myself of finnish payments as they should be kept being spent on needy finns. If finland were a low-tax country i wouldn't mind..... so you need not to view me as a bitter immigrant as i would get back as soon as broke. but why should eating tuna embitter one?.. hm, i love tuna.. could eat fish all the time.

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:18 pm

they are just preparing you for harsh landing in finland which you seem to have so gracefully successfully done so far! :lol: now, you will hit the ground reality gradually ei hätä

Willhelm Tell

Post by Willhelm Tell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:49 pm

well, haven't landed yet.. but they haven't desillusioned me at all.
how long does it roughly take until the average foreigner learns the language sufficiently well to be able to get a job... ? and apart from the big obstructive language hazard, the guys above act as though there is no labour dynamics in finland.. nice weekend!

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 pm

Willhelm Tell wrote:.... guys above act as though there is no labour dynamics in finland..
ha ha you are in a wrong country!!

finland does not have hire and fire system like the ones in those capitalist world!! anyway.... it took a couple of months for me to have a cleaning job through a friend of mine without finnish language.... so.. in these situations like yours... all it takes is hope and sweat ... nähdän taas! :wink: