Japanese language teacher

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Yukichan

Post by Yukichan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 am

Hello,

I'm 28-year-old Japanese woman. I am living in Japan right now, but soon I would like to live in Finland and get a job there especially japanese teaching job. I have been trying to find any information, but so far I can't find any. I am looking for a job especially in Oulu area, but I really don't mind where if there is any vacancy. Are there anyone who can give me advice on this?? Please help me with this. I have no experience in teaching, so it would be really hardto get a job somehow but I want to give it a shot!!

Thank you for reading.
Yuki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Japanese language teacher

Post by rinso » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:05 am

On the top of my mind I would say:
- universities (but you probably need experience/certification for that)
- culture/adult education projects (but you need to speak Finnish for them and many are not on internet)
- free lance work (offering your experience to interested groups)

It indeed will be difficult, but for some reason many Finns are interested in Japanese culture. You could find a niche there. But don't restrict to language, also offer teaching in other fields of Japanese culture (tea ceremony, ikebana etc.)

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:17 pm

rinso wrote: but for some reason many Finns are interested in Japanese culture.
Anime and some odd resembles in our cultures and languages :)

To op. Japanese rally driver is Hajosiko Tojotasi ans sauna is Mokomaki hikimaja. Both makes sense in finnish and sounds like japanese :)
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Yukichan

Post by Yukichan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:23 am

Thank you for your advice, Rinso & your info, Onkko :) I will look more and find a way to be a teacher or someone who tell/ teach things about Japan. I liked Finland in the previous trip a lot, so I would really like to do that.

Kiitos paljon!
Yukichan

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:56 am

Considering Yukichan tells that she is 28-year old japanese lady who is planning to move from land of rising sun to land of neversetting (summer)sun we can make fair guesstimate that she has considerable experience on being surrounded by japanese.

Yukichan

Post by Yukichan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 am

Well, I'm Japanese and I don't need to learn Japanese since I speak Japanese as my native language. It seems not easy to be one there, though. I will do my best anyway :D

Kiitos,
Yukichan

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 am

Actually, if you have right attitude you might find it much easier than you expect.
From my experience with japanese, you guys do not have big cultural problems in adjusting to other Finnish society. At least from point of natives that is...
(Might be unpleasant to you with our different cultural habits, but you get overall bit more respect than someone who tries to push his cultural norms forward. Sure way to not get any respect from natives.)

Learning the language will be a bitch for you though, so mentally prepare for a challenge. You can get along with English, but longer you plan to stay more essential (and if you plan to work) Finnish becomes.

kamppilainen

Post by kamppilainen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi Yukichan,
Just an idea, but I heard they are often looking for Japanese staff in various holiday resorts in lapland.
Tour guides, hotel staff for taking care of visiting japanese tourists.

Look up Lapland tourism info on the net, check out some companies and send contact them..
Might be a good idea says my mom.
(she teached Japanese in Oulu=)

Good luck

Taku