Employer screwing you over

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
CatNip

Re: Employer screwing you over

Post by CatNip » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 am

blaugrau wrote:But isnt this organisation in charge only of a very specific set of problems, namely, health and saftey issues? Wasn't the OP's concern problems with the employment contract? I don't see how that organisation will be able to help, especially because (according to their own website):
Occupational Health and Saftey Authorities (Työsuojelu) wrote:The employer and employee organisations in an industrial sector monitor their members’ rights and benefits in employment relationships. For example, the trade union of organised employees takes care for the employees’ interests in so far as these concern wage terms and other conditions and rights laid down in the collective agreement. The OSH [Occupational health and safety]authorities monitor compliance with the occupational safety and health provisions that govern the terms of employment but they do not represent the interests of the parties to an employment relationship.
And anyway, where's the guarantee that they're not also foreigner-unfriendly? (I'm not saying that they are, but I think the remark about the union being potentially foreigner-unfriendly would have to extend to this organisation too, which in itself renders the whole racism issue here pretty empty, imo)
OHS has the power as an authority to even close work place if the employer will not follow the laws, for example in cases that employer's actions would risk health of the employees. OHS is able to carry out an inspection in any Finnish work place and review the compliance of labour legistlation.
Please see below:

The central provisions governing employment relationships are contained in the Employment Contracts Act, the Working Hours Act and the Annual Holidays Act. The most important contracts are the employment contract and the collective agreement. Generally binding collective agreements have the most far-reaching effects. They determine the minimum terms of employment in employment relationships in the given sector.

The purpose of monitoring employment mattersThe guiding principle of employment laws is to guarantee minimum benefits for the weaker party to an employment relationship – the employee. The purpose of monitoring employment matters is to safeguard the minimum level of terms and conditions for working as well as equal treatment and employment protection for employees. The aim of monitoring is also to prevent enterprises from gaining competitive advantage from violation of the minimum terms and to support especially small enterprises in their OSH activities and thus help them to manage employment matters. The enforcement of employment laws is an obligation of the OSH Inspectorates.

As a Finn I would say that why would you give money to the union that does not give any assistance for you? Finns choose their union mostly based on their education, not based on their work place. I would vote with my feet, if I would't get the serviceI have paid for . Some of the unions are not famous about their servises to anyone:).

Re: Employer screwing you over

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic