I am looking for a Oil/Gas/Utility Engineering Job

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Hae

Post by Hae » Tue May 19, 2009 10:07 am

Dear all,

I am currently in sunny Los Angeles right now, and ready to start PhD in Power and High Voltage Engineering at TKK. Since I will be broke, starvation is unavoidable. But I wish to get a job opportunity before I get there next month in Helsinki area.

I worked in a power system analysis software company for oil/gas/utility industries for little bit less than 2 years as a assistant consultant and an R&D engineer. I hold M.Sc and B.Sc in electrical engineering in power systems and signal processing. I just wish to come across any list of companies that are in the field of power systems engineering. I tried Monster, but the luck was not there.

Does anyone work in this field or is anyone is familiar with power engineering?

Many thanks in advance.

Hae

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Re: I am looking for a Oil/Gas/Utility Engineering Job

Post by raamv » Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 am

Hae

Post by Hae » Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 am

Thank you. I really appreciate your assistance.

Hae

jplanasch

Post by jplanasch » Tue May 19, 2009 11:51 am

Not many offerings in FIN at the moment. Unemployment in the engineering field is rising quickly:

http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/htimes/dome ... mmer-.html

Anyways, there are more offerings in the oil/gas/utility fields in Norway.

Hae

Post by Hae » Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 pm

i'm about to sell my plane ticket to helsinki on ebay right now..

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Fortum and the guys doing the windmills are doing OK... not good but OK...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry » Wed May 20, 2009 7:02 am

Gee that article is gloomy. Its good to get the facts though since it helps us planning to move to Finland understand the environment we're walking in to. What about nuclear - do your skills transfer to that area? I noticed a few job vacancies across Finland in nuclear recently.
The person on top of the mountain didn't just fall there.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed May 20, 2009 7:37 am

Cloudberry wrote:Gee that article is gloomy. Its good to get the facts though since it helps us planning to move to Finland understand the environment we're walking in to.
Gloomy? Thats as positive as its gotten the past... 10 years or so. "Academic unemployeds" have been in papers since before after jebus rode in on dinosaurs. Environment you're walking into... yeah, you walk into the employment office and you go to the desk fully enthusiastic, then someone taps you on the sholder and says "the end of line is there" :lol: we got this screaming need for workers *cough*

dfreer

Post by dfreer » Wed May 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi There

i have used the Jobsearch Group - which have websites setup for a range of industries:

http://www.oilandgasjobsearch.com
http://www.constructionjobsearch.co.uk
http://www.railjobsearch.com
http://www.utilityjobsearch.com

hope you find that useful!

Regards

Duncan

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry » Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 am

Still, the article didn't specify what kinds of Engineering degrees these unemployed people have and what their levels of experience/competency is. Engineering is a diverse field encompassing Electrical/Civil/Mechanical/IT/Manufacturing (Process) etc across all sorts of industries. I think there can also be a reluctance from employers to take on recent graduates preferring instead highly skilled and experienced people. This is my experience, I'm not sure if that is also the case in Finland?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu May 21, 2009 9:12 am

I remember that in an interview:
Well yes, you've just graduated - but we prefer someone with work experience...
OK - HOW THE F*** DO I GET WORK EXPERIENCE IF I CAN NOT GET A JOB YOU DICKHEAD?

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry » Thu May 21, 2009 10:39 am

Pursuivant wrote:I remember that in an interview:
:lol: Yes, this is always an issue for graduates. And then the people that spend their time getting the experience are then asked where their qualifications are. Of course, they were too busy working to spend time at college or university! The trick obviously is to gain both simultaneously...

Hae

Post by Hae » Thu May 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Cloudberry wrote:
:lol: Yes, this is always an issue for graduates. And then the people that spend their time getting the experience are then asked where their qualifications are. Of course, they were too busy working to spend time at college or university! The trick obviously is to gain both simultaneously...
I have 2 years of industrial experience in oil and utility. I think I got paid just little less than the company secretary's salary to be honest with you. That's how I got the job by cutting my salary lower than the secretary. It was just wonderful experience. When I left my work, they asked me to stay with 10% salary increase, and I asked to double the salary haha Guess what? They even called me a few days later and gave me an offer for 30% increase. What a joke! Considering the fact that my work hours was 70+ hrs/week without the weekend overtime pay, I think my deal was reasonable.

So if you want a job immediately after your graduation, try to find a small company with a cheap ass CEO/owner. They're willing to hire cheap labour for more. It just a matter of how you convince them that you're worth every penny they spend on you. After 2-3 years, you will be ready to move on to much much MUCH better career, but you have to learn by yourself whiling working like a rat.

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu May 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Hae wrote:
Cloudberry wrote:
I have 2 years of industrial experience in oil and utility. I think I got paid just little less than the company secretary's salary to be honest with you. That's how I got the job by cutting my salary lower than the secretary. It was just wonderful experience. When I left my work, they asked me to stay with 10% salary increase, and I asked to double the salary haha Guess what? They even called me a few days later and gave me an offer for 30% increase. What a joke! Considering the fact that my work hours was 70+ hrs/week without the weekend overtime pay, I think my deal was reasonable.

So if you want a job immediately after your graduation, try to find a small company with a cheap ass CEO/owner. They're willing to hire cheap labour for more. It just a matter of how you convince them that you're worth every penny they spend on you. After 2-3 years, you will be ready to move on to much much MUCH better career, but you have to learn by yourself whiling working like a rat.

Then you come in finland and notice things like collective agreement and paid overtime.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Hae

Post by Hae » Fri May 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Then you come in finland and notice things like collective agreement and paid overtime.
I believe Finns play by the rule if I understand correctly.