Renewal of work & residence permit

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Satish

Post by Satish » Fri May 29, 2009 6:30 am

When I went yesterday to Malmi to get my work and residence permit renewed they told me:
1. It would take six months for processing
2. In the meantime, I could not travel outside Finland or
3. I could not work when my current visa expires!

I had a letter from my employer to say that travel to the Nordic countries was necessary as part of my job (to hurry things along ) but the 'stopping work' as well was a real surprise! Surely people who come here to work cannot stop working? They had a supplementary form that I filled out which asked for speedy processing and they recommended that I submit my passport in a few weeks time to really support my case, which I will do. Any advice from people who have had this experience would be great!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Renewal of work & residence permit

Post by rinso » Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 am

It seems to me that the people handling those affairs are trying to sabotage the more relaxed regulations for foreigners.

nsdh

Post by nsdh » Fri May 29, 2009 6:18 pm

It happend to me last year. Give the speedup letter and inform them you need it as soon as possible.

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri May 29, 2009 9:22 pm

Satish wrote:When I went yesterday to Malmi to get my work and residence permit renewed they told me:
1. It would take six months for processing
2. In the meantime, I could not travel outside Finland or
3. I could not work when my current visa expires!

I had a letter from my employer to say that travel to the Nordic countries was necessary as part of my job (to hurry things along ) but the 'stopping work' as well was a real surprise! Surely people who come here to work cannot stop working? They had a supplementary form that I filled out which asked for speedy processing and they recommended that I submit my passport in a few weeks time to really support my case, which I will do. Any advice from people who have had this experience would be great!
Work based permits are more strict!!
2. can be solved by requesting for a "Travel permit letter" that allows you to travel and return back to Finland with that letter in hand..
3. is true!! ( Generally, they tell you to renew just 6 months before expiry)...
Get your expedited processing application, along with recommendation/letter from employer that you need it urgently..
you can collect your passport back ( inform them before ) before travel with that travel permission letter..
The main problem is for them to "Have the passport" and once you start pressurizing them ( or use SO to use Finnish to pressurize them) then they "stamp" your passport pretty soon.. Then main thing is that your reason for permit should be valid!!
Next time, try your Finnish and "pressurize" ... :wink:

Satish

Post by Satish » Sat May 30, 2009 8:04 am

thanks for the tips.. I will definitely hand in my passport as suggested. Some of the other expats I have spoken to have relocation agents at their employers, so I will try that too.

raamv

Post by raamv » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 pm

DO let us know what the outcome was and how things went..to pass this info onto others..

nsdh

Post by nsdh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 am

If you apply form espoo or vantaa it will take less time due to less number of immigrants.

FastTurtle

Post by FastTurtle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:46 am

nsdh wrote:If you apply form espoo or vantaa it will take less time due to less number of immigrants.
But in order to apply from espoo or vantaa, you should be living there.
"support our truths - http://www.wfp.org"

Frankie abbot

Post by Frankie abbot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 pm

I got mine renewed a couple of years ago in Malmi took 10 minutes,i didnt have to hand my passport in.Cant remember how much it cost,40 euros maybe.