newspaper deliveries!

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
nanajec

newspaper deliveries!

Post by nanajec » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Hello
I will be starting school this autumn at LUT if God willing!i hear delivering newspapers is one of the easiest and fastest jobs one can get as realistically fast as possible.Can anyone tell me how one can secure this job the work details and pay involved? i would really appreciate any useful comments!

newspaper deliveries!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ajdias

Re: newspaper deliveries!

Post by ajdias » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Keyword is Lehdenjakaja

stewy

Post by stewy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 pm

From experience, I can tell you it's time consuming (particularly if you have a hectic study schedule) and not really worth the money. Some days when there were more ads to sort and deliver I would work for up to 4hrs and earn 15€. It was nice to earn a bit of money but if you're expecting a couple hundred a month then expect to do a lot of work. Oh and it's not the nicest job when it's cold, going in and outdoors constantly :?

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:12 pm

stewy wrote:From experience, I can tell you it's time consuming (particularly if you have a hectic study schedule) and not really worth the money. Some days when there were more ads to sort and deliver I would work for up to 4hrs and earn 15€. It was nice to earn a bit of money but if you're expecting a couple hundred a month then expect to do a lot of work. Oh and it's not the nicest job when it's cold, going in and outdoors constantly :?
i've been once a sanomalehdenjakaja , it's a night job. But the pay is very good! :thumbsup: especially for summer , it is a very good choice.

Look for these from Posti.

EP

Post by EP » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Except Posti is right now laying off 230 people.

I think you are talking about two different delivery jobs. Stewy is talking about delivering free papers and advertisements (bad pay, day job). Forest-girl is talking about delivering "real" newspapers (OK pay, night job).

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:39 am

EP wrote:
Except Posti is right now laying off 230 people.
Oh, really... That's why it seemed strange to me that I couldn't find even an extra job like advertisement+newspaper delivering.. Thanks for info. It seems really difficult with labour market this time..

skullmonkey

Post by skullmonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:42 pm

Out of curiosity I once checked out one of the advertisement delivery jobs. Pay was 0,03€ (That's three cents for those who have difficulties with numbers ;) per ad delivered. So to earn 30,00€ you would need to deliver 1.000 ads, which could be up to 4h or more hours a day. Additionally, lots of people have the "No commercials please" stickers on their postboxes (in my building approximately 80% have these) so you might have buildings where you drop five ads. Its not an easy job, but if you need the cash its an opportunity.

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 pm

skullmonkey wrote:Out of curiosity I once checked out one of the advertisement delivery jobs. Pay was 0,03€ (That's three cents for those who have difficulties with numbers ;) per ad delivered. So to earn 30,00€ you would need to deliver 1.000 ads, which could be up to 4h or more hours a day. Additionally, lots of people have the "No commercials please" stickers on their postboxes (in my building approximately 80% have these) so you might have buildings where you drop five ads. Its not an easy job, but if you need the cash its an opportunity.
Yeah, i've been doing this kind of work last year for three months.. because i couldn't find any job and i needed money whatever the amount it was...it went for me approximately 250-300euro per month working 5days a week, 2h per day. But I used one trick with the names written on the post boxes. If there was two surnames, I put 2 advertisements, then it's not so bad anymore with all those 'no commercials please' stickers. Unfortunately, this thought came to my mind only after a month of doing this :D The worst thing in this job is having to go through blocks of flats where is no lift and you have to walk up on your own feet, for example, 4floors... it's very frustrating when you have one block of flats with no lift with 5 staircases.. and so on :roll:
But I suppose for newspapers it should be a better pay, because they are 'bigger' and weigh more.

EP

Post by EP » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

But I suppose for newspapers it should be a better pay, because they are 'bigger' and weigh more.
I think the reason is "night job". Nobody goes to work at 2 o´clock for free. I did that as a student. And I was a piss poor deliverer. My area was Eira (south Helsinki) and there are lots of old houses with no elevators and old locks that were awfully difficult to open. (I guess they have been replaced nowadays). I was always late, and sometimes I didn´t get the downstairs lock open.

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:16 pm

EP wrote:
I think the reason is "night job". Nobody goes to work at 2 o´clock for free. I did that as a student. And I was a piss poor deliverer. My area was Eira (south Helsinki) and there are lots of old houses with no elevators and old locks that were awfully difficult to open. (I guess they have been replaced nowadays). I was always late, and sometimes I didn´t get the downstairs lock open.
This time I talked not about Posti Itella newspapers, but about advertisement papers like a newspaper full of adds... I mean they should have a better pay than just small advertisements :)

skullmonkey

Post by skullmonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:21 pm

forest_girl wrote:But I used one trick with the names written on the post boxes. If there was two surnames, I put 2 advertisements, ...
Yeah, they probably really needed two. You should have checked if they have kids, and give an extra advertisement per kid, too.

nanajec

Post by nanajec » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:10 pm

hello
thanks for all the wonderful pieces of advice you all gave me indeed i'm most grateful but i just wanted to know how does one secure it? is it by walking to the company and asking if there is vacancy or by looking in the papers themselves?

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:20 pm

skullmonkey wrote:
forest_girl wrote:But I used one trick with the names written on the post boxes. If there was two surnames, I put 2 advertisements, ...
Yeah, they probably really needed two. You should have checked if they have kids, and give an extra advertisement per kid, too.
I know what you mean *not stupid*, but when you are working so hard, you want money, right? :)

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:22 pm

nanajec wrote:hello
thanks for all the wonderful pieces of advice you all gave me indeed i'm most grateful but i just wanted to know how does one secure it? is it by walking to the company and asking if there is vacancy or by looking in the papers themselves?
Do both.

skullmonkey

Post by skullmonkey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 pm

forest_girl wrote:... but when you are working so hard, you want money, right? :)
While I leave it open for discussion if it is hard work, I think that kind of behavior is a) cheating and b) annoying for the persons getting the ads.

@nanajec: Call and visit them. Visiting gives them a face, and you show initiative that you really want the job.