American Web Developer seeking job opportunities in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
jetweedy

Post by jetweedy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:39 pm

RESUME: Jonathan E. Tweedy

http://protoglobe.com

INTRODUCTION

Currently in Bloomington, Indiana, I am interested in the possibility of work abroad, and thought I would post my resume and see if there is any demand for my skill set in Finland. I studied German in college and graduate school, as well as information science, and have a fairly strong hands-on coding and design background. I took two years of Finnish in grad school as an elective, but have not used it much in the past five years. I would be extremely interested in the opportunity to live abroad, brush up on my language skills, and have the chance to join a dynamic team working on creative and challenging web projects.

In addition to web development experience, I also have three years of experience teaching beginning and intermediate German at the college level, as well as some experience teaching English as a Foreign Language to students between the ages of 11 and 18 at a boarding school in Switzerland. I am therefore also interested in language teaching and/or technical training positions as an alternative to hands-on web development.

EDUCATION

Bachelor of Arts in German and Linguistics
University of North Carolina ~ Greensboro, NC (August 2000)

Master of Arts in Germanic Linguistics
Indiana University ~ Bloomington, IN (December 2004)

Master of Information Science
Indiana University ~ Bloomington, IN (May 2008)

SKILLS

Languages: proficient in German; limited conversational competency in Finnish and Spanish
Computer: Mac and PC, Access, Excel, Word, Photoshop, Pagemaker, Dreamweaver
Web Programming:
HTML: Advanced
CSS: Advanced
JavaScript: Advanced
Ajax: Advanced
MySQL: Advanced PHP: Advanced
ColdFusion: Advanced
Python: Intermediate
Perl: Intermediate
Java/JSP: Intermediate
ASP: Familiar

WORK EXPERIENCE

ColdFusion Programmer (August 2005 - current: full-time since August 2006)
Indiana University Center for Postsecondary Research

Develop and refine interfaces to survey data, participants and related publications
Develop and maintain content management tools to meet various staff needs
Create and maintain new project sites as needed
Assist staff with technical questions, problems, and other requests

Web Developer (May - June 2006)
Indiana University College of Arts and Sciences

Web Developer (August 2004 - May 2006)
Indiana University Kelley Business School

Developed interface for posting, applying for, and monitoring volunteer opportunities

Associate Instructor of German (September 2001 - May 2004)
Indiana University Department of Germanic Studies - Bloomington, IN

Taught beginning and intermediate university-level German classes

German Tutor
UNC-Greensboro, Indiana University (Summer 1999 - present)

Office Assistant
UNC-G International Programs Center - Greensboro, NC (Summer 2001)

EFL Teacher
Ecole d'Humanit? - Hasliberg-Goldern, Bern, Switzerland (August 2000 - December 2000)

Office Assistant
UNC-G Department of German, Russian and Japanese Studies ~ Greensboro, NC (Summer 1999)

Meat Counter
The Fresh Market (Fall 1997, Summer 1998 - Summer 1999)
Quaker Village Shopping Center, Greensboro, NC

Usher
Cinemark Theaters (Spring 1995 - Winter 1997)
Brassfield Shopping Center, Greensboro, NC

ACADEMICS AND TEACHING

Workshop in Information Science: JavaScript and Ajax

Summer 2009
Indiana University
School of Library and Information Science
Bloomington, Indiana

This half-credit summer workshop (1.5 credit hours), taught in the Indiana University School of Library and Information Science, covers an introduction to JavaScript and works up to using Ajax to create dynamic interactivity and improve usability. The workshop was proposed in the fall of 2008 and approved in early spring 2009. It bridges the gap between existing front-end (HTML/CSS) and back-end (Perl, database) offerings in the department.

Survey Result Analysis Tool

Summer 2009
Presented by Ali Korkmaz and Bob Gonyea National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) Users Meeting
Forum of the Association for Institutional Research
Atlanta, GA

Using a SAS installation on a Windows/Apache server, my co-worker and I developed a report generation tool to provide custom survey result analysis to the public. To preserve anonymity, the report integrates a check to insure that reports are only generated if a minimum number of schools and students are represented in the reports that are generated. The tool utilizes Ajax and PHP to generate results from a SAS script that only accepts request from the local host.

Visualizing Influence: Comparing Geo-Spacial and Temporal Settings in Swinburne and Browning

Summer 2009
Presented by Devin Becker
Digital Humanities Summer Institute
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Working with our client, Dr. John Walsh of The Swinburne Project (a digital library site), our group has developed a geo-temporal mapping tool with which to compare literary settings of multiple authors' works in order to determine patterns of influence, as well as a static, printable representation of this data that includes map, timeline, and table formats.

SAMPLE PERSONAL PROJECTS

I used XHTML and CSS to produce the design for each of the following projects, and then tied them to a LAMP backend (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) for central data management. Most of the projects also integrate Ajax techniques to improve the front-end user experience by avoiding tedious full-page reloads and allow for more frequent updates to portions of content on the page.

College Search Map
Using the Google Maps API and my own Javascript, I created a map-based college search tool that allows users to select criteria such as cost, size, size of the surrounding community, historically black or tribal status and other factors, and then narrow down their geographic preferences and see matching colleges on a Google Map. Data was retrieved from IPEDS 2006 results using the data cutting tool publicly available on their web site, was stored in a MySQL database, and is retrieved using PHP. Users can log in to manage a list of favorites and a customized college application checklist for each. The tool is also available as a Facebook application. Ajax is used to store and load most information on the map, and the page is rarely reloaded unless using the favorites.

Weblog Interface
One of my first major undertakings was a weblog interface that allows one or more bloggers to maintain (optionally, depending on settings) one or more blogs each. Each blog can have multiple categories, managed by the user, and each weblog entry can be assigned multiple categories. Entries can be browsed by date or category, and users can leave comments without requiring a signup using an email-based confirmation system: they enter their email, which is stored but not displayed, and can then return later, provide their email address, and receive an email with a link to edit or delete their comment. Once again, the back end was developed using PHP and MySQL. Only limited Ajax is used: comments appear and disappear when the ?View Comments? link is clicked.

Drag-and-drop Content Management
I developed an interface to manage style sheets and create panel-based content pages. New panels can be created, edited, resized and dragged anywhere on the screen, resulting in absolutely positioned content, the location of which is stored in a MySQL database and retrieved again later to properly display the page to visitors. After resizing or dropping a dragged panel, Ajax is used to call a PHP script to update the location and size of the pane in MySQL. Similarly, after editing content of the pane in the text area (which can be toggled between a text area and normal view), the content is automatically saved using Ajax.

EduWISE: Educational Interactive Story Engine
This is a project that I put on the back burner several years ago, however it is functional on a simplistic level. It does not use any Ajax or Javascript, but still uses PHP and MySQL to process and store data, respectively. The story engine allows users to manage multiple stories, each with multiple pages that link to each other, similar to a ?Choose Your Own Adventure? story. A dictionary feature is included that allows the ?teacher? (or any author) to maintain a dictionary that can be applied to a story so that vocabulary words on each page will be clickable for a pop-up translation. Additionally, story and dictionary data can be ?saved? by generating a simplistic XML file that can be copied and pasted to ?open? the file in another, similar system. This feature allows independent instances of the site (as opposed to users on a central system) to share their stories without necessarily being on the central site.

These and other samples using XHTML, CSS, Javascript, Ajax, PHP and MySQL can be found at the following sites:

1. http://protoglobe.com/tools
2. http://protoglobe.com/community
3. http://protoglobe.com/javascript

SAMPLE WORK PROJECTS

The research center?s various project web sites are hosted on a Windows Server running IIS, ColdFusion and Microsoft SQL Server. As the only developer in our office, I also do all of the front end work for the websites using XHTML, CSS, Javascript and Ajax, with the exception of occasional graphic design outsourced to a local company. Page layout, navigational design (sometimes using Firefox), and some graphic development using Photoshop is done in-house.

Unfortunately, access to examples of my most complex work-related projects is restricted to logged-in staff, so I am providing descriptions of more notable projects that I have completed in my current position, as well as a list of links to public areas of interest at the end.

Staff Login System
Indiana University utilizes a Central Authentication System (CAS) to verify user logins on many sites throughout the university system. Because all staff have IU usernames, this system is also used on our project sites to allow users to log in using their username, rather than creating a separate one. After login, the user is redirected to a pre-specified page that checks a ColdFusion global variable created by the CAS system upon login, after which the user is actually logged into our site. A separate table of IU IDs that are valid staff IDs is maintained on our departmental MSSQL server in order to prevent non-staff logins by other IU users.

Forms
I created a form management system to allow for quick creation of registration forms, questionnaires, orders, etc. There is currently no front-end, but rather I use an Microsoft Access file with several custom forms to connect directly to the MSSQL database to manage the web forms, questions for each, and possible answers (if not open-ended). A single script generates an appropriate questionnaire form based on the ID number passed through the URL, and user responses and answers for each question in those responses are again stored in the MSSQL database. Staff members can review, approve and delete responses from an administrative view that also allows for optional generation of a CSV file. This is my most widely-used applications, and also the most successful. We have used it for over a dozen Adobe Connect webinars, as well as workshop registrations and questionnaires of various kinds.

News and Publications Interfaces
Interfaces have been set up for adding, editing and deleting instances of discussion of our projects in the media, or for posting information about recent presentations and publications related to the projects. In addition to managing the textual information for each listing in a MSSQL database, an upload system is in place, and simple Javascript-driven frames on the add/edit page allow users to include previously uploaded documents or logo images with each posting. Once again, all information is processed and transmitted to and from the database using ColdFusion. The content on these pages is managed by student workers who are involved in research related to the respective projects.

Sample Links:
http://cpr.iub.edu/
http://nsse.iub.edu/html/inthenews.cfm
http://nsse.iub.edu/html/participating_ ... engine.cfm
http://lssse.iub.edu/
http://lssse.iub.edu/2006_Annual_Report/index.cfm
http://cseq.iub.edu/
http://snaap.iub.edu/
http://nsse.iub.edu/e-news/index.cfm

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic