Looking for freelance teachers

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
kielivalmentaja

Post by kielivalmentaja » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:48 am

Kielivalmentaja is a newly formed language school looking for teachers of all languages, especially English, Swedish, Finnish and Russian. We have an online component to all our courses, so you have to have some basic computor skills and an interest in Language teaching with technology. Please check out our website and contact us if you are interested.

www.kielivalmentaja.com
[email protected]

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Looking for freelance teachers

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:52 pm

kielivalmentaja wrote: Please check out our website ...
...which is all in Finnish :?

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:04 pm

no it is not Penelope, click the British flag at the top...
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:31 pm

interesting...
Kuouluttajillamme on:

* Kansainvälinen pätevyys kielenopettamisessa
* Kyky puhua opetattavaa kieltä äidinkielenään
* Kokemusta ammattilaisten kielikoulutuksesta
* Vähintään 3 vuotta työkokemusta Suomessa sekä ja kyky ymmärtää meille tyypillisiä kielellisiä haasteita
Our language trainers are all:

* Internationally qualified to teach the target language
* Native Speakers of the Target Language
* Are experienced in Corporate Language training
* Have at least 3 years of experience in language training in Finland

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:53 pm

Found it! Thanks.

Funny time to start up a teaching business. Not exactly lots of work out there at the moment. But the on-line stuff might work when the flu epidemic is in full swing :D In my experience (I once worked in a multimedia training facility in Paris) students aren't interested in the multimedia stuff. They want to be face-to-face and they want to be out of their work space.

Companies always ask for it though, makes them look like they are hi-tech.

I guess the "Lingo" thing is some kind of a franchise arrangement.

@raamv

Why is that interesting? All the language schools put that on their webpages. But none of them are willing to pay for it :evil:

If you replaced "language training" with "SAP" then what would the going rate per hour be?

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:08 pm

penelope wrote: Why is that interesting? All the language schools put that on their webpages. But none of them are willing to pay for it :evil:

If you replaced "language training" with "SAP" then what would the going rate per hour be?
How they will have a corporate clientile when there are not many of those who are qualified...
exactly your point why it is interesting...as there are better competitors ( AAC, etc ) who have those certified trainers..

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:38 pm

raamv wrote:....as there are better competitors ( AAC, etc ) who have those certified trainers..
The language schools don't, on the whole, "have" their own trainers. These days most trainers are freelance. So they (we) go where we want (in theory, when there is plenty of work on offer) and can work for half a dozen language schools at the same time if we want. There are a few schools I just wouldn't consider working with. There are a couple of others who I work with very closely (like any business relationship, you build up trust and loyalty over several years).

One thing I have learnt is that my CV is not for free. I have a decent CV (I have been working/studying full-time for over 30 years) and I now know that some schools "use" good CVs to bid for work. A few years ago one school I interviewed with actually asked me if they could use my CV to bid for a contract with a bank... and then never gave me the lessons, probably because I refused to work for 20€/hour (actually I think the offer was 17€/hour :lol: ).

One of the problems with certification is that you can get it on-line these days without ever teaching in a classroom, so it doesn't mean much. And you're right: there aren't many teachers out there with degrees, teaching qualifications and experience and a business background, who are prepared to accept the working conditions (not just the pay) that are on offer at the moment.

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 pm

penelope wrote: One of the problems with certification is that you can get it on-line these days without ever teaching in a classroom, so it doesn't mean much. And you're right: there aren't many teachers out there with degrees, teaching qualifications and experience and a business background, who are prepared to accept the working conditions (not just the pay) that are on offer at the moment.
The few ones that I know of are extremely busy and hard to catch!! you just cant get their time!! :wink: