Americans finding work in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Upphew

Re: Americans finding work in Finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Language requirement depends on how high you are in the food chain... or if you occupy a niche...
Or who you know.

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:33 am

Jason Wright wrote:
raamv wrote:Very VERY!! difficult..if you cannot speak Finnish!!
Especially if you are in the grocery/warehouse industry as you need to know where to stock which item and every one of those items are in Finnish/Swedish!!
and in the warehouse, you dont find any signs in English!!
and it doesnt matter if you are American or Armenian!!
So can you rephrase your question with more details please..
Do you have first hand experience working with logistics in Finland? I have several friends who work for Kesko in their warehouses - and guess what, they don't speak Finnish or Swedish!

So it's NOT always a requirement to speak Finnish/Swedish to get a job in Finland - but I'd advise learning ASAP!

Jason
One of the first and foremost requirements for working for Inex partners who does the stocking is Finnish!!
I dont have first hand experience but I know more people than you do!! from the top of the ranks to the bottom in pretty much many industries in Finland...S
So stop giving false hopes with your posts...
and start defining "resourceful"
edit: Most people who work in the warehouses are doing the math...or having control of logistics..

AndSoItGoes

Post by AndSoItGoes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm

raamv - "... i know more people than you do!!" Now, that's what I call resourceful!
You know, I am currently looking for a job in Finland and I say that this American (hypocrisy) should have hopes. If you don't have confidence, you are nothing. Many Finnish people know that their language is extremely difficult to learn, one of the most difficult in the world. Many can study 15 years and never master it, it's true. However, you still see people of all ethnicities in Helsinki and elsewhere in Finland. The only reason why there aren't more, I think, only partially has to do with the fact that Finnish is an important asset, and just as much to do with the fact that no one wants to life in Finland. Don't get me wrong, I love Finland. It's beautiful, I love the cold and dark winters, but you know many don't. Not even Finns, making depression skyrocket.
I say let him have his hope. I have done many things that everyone said were impossible. What's important is to have confidence and respect. Respect is attempting to learn the language if you're moving somewhere.
hypocrisy - I suggest you think a little harder on what it is you want to do. Really put some thought into it then think about what you can do to attain that goal. Since your wife speaks Finnish, she can help. Sure, it's not a guarantee that you'll get a job, but neither is living to see your next birthday or countless other things. Don't get some lame job just because you want to make money. Try to find something you're passionate about and go for that (result to the lame job if nothing else works). You won't get a job if you say, "Well, my wife is Finnish and we're moving back for her and I need money." You want to say, "This is what I love doing, and I am good at it. I want to do it the rest of my life and I want to learn more..."
Don't let pessimism get you down too much. Be realistic but never, ever think you can't attain your dreams, unless it's becoming a T-Rex or a pair of spandex shorts.

AndSoItGoes

Post by AndSoItGoes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Also, hypocrisy - If you are decent at languages, you will find Swedish to be quite simple. If Finnish drives you crazy (and, believe me, it will), take a small break and check out some Swedish. Believe me, compared to Finnish, Swedish is a break.

jas_rho

Post by jas_rho » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:06 am

I'm an American working and living in Finland and I can say it was really hard at first to get a good job here but after I did it's been easy ever since. When I was close to graduating I searched for months for a real job and worked a couple side jobs just getting paid cash for the time doing odd jobs and construction. I sent out hundreds of applications before something came through. I think it took about 6 months (for others it could be faster and others it could be slower). I just want to say that its hard as hell but possible and the main thing is getting that first job, after that it makes other companies more comfortable in hiring you.
Knowing Finnish is a big plus. I knew Finnish back when I was first applying for the real jobs but that didn't seem to make it any easier. In fact, my first job after graduating didn't even require or use Finnish. But the jobs I have had since that one have required it, or well, it has been extremely useful that I know it. It's really helpful with my current employer that we can sit down with our customers in important meetings and not have to speak English because of one American among 10 Finns. But even if I am not consulting at the customers premises, it's still good with my workmates that I can communicate with them in Finnish and they don't have to worry about English (even though English is the company's "official" language).

What I am trying to say with all this is that it's possible, but really hard, and knowing Finnish really does help a lot.

Freddyb

Post by Freddyb » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:30 pm

"P.S. If the move is an attempt to fix problems in the marriage or in your wife's well-being, as is commonly the case, you really should grab those issues by the horns BEFORE moving back to Finland. The Finn is often (usually?) surprised to realize too late that simply moving back to Finland did not solve problems the way he or she thought. In fact, the problems often get worse"

very important point.... I know from experience. I had a "niche" job. If you have a unique skill you may find something. Networking is also very important in Finland. I "sold" myself before I arrived.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."

--Martin Luther King

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Jobs at the moment are scarce - but theres the "niche" market growing so its actually if you are good you get headhunted - if you are "looking for a job"... tough luck.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Halldor K

Post by Halldor K » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm

I can give a direct example of my experience with looking for work in the same field as i am a Warehouse Manager with over 10 years experience.

It is VERY hard to find any jobs in Finland at the moment, it just is. Unemployment is up to a new high.

Finnish speaking is a requirement for MOST jobs out there...even truck driving or cleaning. They might not say so on the job advert...but if you apply and say you speak no Finnish do not expect a reply from about 95% of the companies you contact.(or a few months later "thanks we hired someone else" reply)

I got lucky and am currently working as a Wilderness/Arctic Safari Guide and even in that job at times i have a hard time due to not speaking Finnish, because some of the people we work with(at Reindeer/Husky farms, tourist locations) do not speak English...

But keep it up if you want it...but believe me it will be hard for a good while.

Just hope that this job "gets me in through the door" and makes finding other jobs a little easier...

Regards
Halldor K
I'm Icelandic...what's your excuse?

internationalcarwash

Post by internationalcarwash » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:38 pm

It Might Take you Forever If You Dont Speak Finnish - PERIOD

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Halldor K wrote: because some of the people we work with(at Reindeer/Husky farms, tourist locations) do not speak English...
Of course this is due to the inherent institutionalized racism in Finland... at least that is what you'd say in Helsinki hanging about in the cafes day in day out. :wink:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Jason Wright wrote:
hypocrisy wrote:How difficult is it for an American to find employment in Finland? I have alot of experience in the grocery/warehouse industry.
Don't mind the pessimism on this board! Anything is possible with the right attitude. I'm an American that has been here since 2000 and there ARE jobs if you're resourceful.
Despite being one of the "pessimists" called out by this post, I agree with it to some extent.

It's like the U.S. Presidency.

It's quite true that anyone can become President in the United States. What's not true is that everyone can become President in the United States.

There will always be a small number of jobs for the most persistent, determined, and gifted people who can find them. However, that does not mean there are enough such jobs for all the persistent, determined, and gifted people who may be competing for them. If five such people go after one such job, one person will come away convinced that all it takes is persistence and determination. We tend to under-credit the role of luck in our lives.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Halldor K

Post by Halldor K » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
Halldor K wrote: because some of the people we work with(at Reindeer/Husky farms, tourist locations) do not speak English...
Of course this is due to the inherent institutionalized racism in Finland... at least that is what you'd say in Helsinki hanging about in the cafes day in day out. :wink:

Since i wouldn't hang out in Helsinki(not a city person) i wouldn't know. And can't say i agree with that...have so far not met with any racism that i can tell. But then again i am half deaf so i might be missing it hehehe
I'm Icelandic...what's your excuse?

mita

Post by mita » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:29 pm

raamv wrote:
mita wrote:you could consider studying in university here if you don't have a degree yet.
Problem is that it then becomes a 1 income family..and might be cumbersome..
That's very true, but if you do decide to make the move and find a hasrh reality that there is no job then that's an opportunity to build for your future in Finland or whereever you live later on. Benifits from being a student here reduce your cost of living. It's still not all roses if you have a family to take care of but that's one option if your serious about moving to Oulu.

http://www.mol.fi/paikat/Search.do?lang ... se=English

There's the link for the ministry of labor job search in Oulu.
Your wife could search for warehouse work and contact them on your behalf and try to sell your experience. In some cases you might be able to get past the language issue. Anyway warehouse in Finland use product numbers and isle and shelf numbers just like everywhere else so if you get into a place the actual work probably isn't a poblem.
Have a nice day!

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:32 am

Halldor K wrote:
Pursuivant wrote: Of course this is due to the inherent institutionalized racism in Finland... at least that is what you'd say in Helsinki hanging about in the cafes day in day out. :wink:
Since i wouldn't hang out in Helsinki(not a city person) i wouldn't know. And can't say i agree with that...have so far not met with any racism that i can tell. But then again i am half deaf so i might be missing it hehehe
Ah, but you see... It is result of inherent Finnish racism when foreigner who could not put together enough words to inquire time of day is not given time of day in Finland.

At least according to some people. Apparently Finns should hire foreigners just because they are foreigners, not because they can do a job which needs to be done.

And indeed everyone, think if you were Finnish employers. Would you want to hire a guy who would force you to first say everything in Finnish (because most workers prefer that language and ideas are much more easily transferred in that language) and then come to you and explain it all in English.

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:49 am

mita wrote:
raamv wrote:
mita wrote:you could consider studying in university here if you don't have a degree yet.
Problem is that it then becomes a 1 income family..and might be cumbersome..
That's very true, but if you do decide to make the move and find a hasrh reality that there is no job then that's an opportunity to build for your future in Finland or whereever you live later on. Benifits from being a student here reduce your cost of living. It's still not all roses if you have a family to take care of but that's one option if your serious about moving to Oulu.

http://www.mol.fi/paikat/Search.do?lang ... se=English

There's the link for the ministry of labor job search in Oulu.
Your wife could search for warehouse work and contact them on your behalf and try to sell your experience. In some cases you might be able to get past the language issue. Anyway warehouse in Finland use product numbers and isle and shelf numbers just like everywhere else so if you get into a place the actual work probably isn't a poblem.
Its not the numbers thats a problem.. Its the names of the products and whats written on them are in Finnish!!
But then...no matter of convincing that Its IS difficult to get a job will be enough.. If a person has a lot of luck and perseverance...they can do it albeit with a lot of hardship..
But then basing that hope on moving over and settling down a family ..is a different situation..