Looking for work in Helsinki

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Bestie

Post by Bestie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello there,
I am a published Scottish writer/script editor, who would like to live and work in Helsinki. I am willing to consider most lines of work and I have a counselling certificate and experience in that particular field. I only know a few words in Finnish, but am willing to learn in order to better my chances of employment. Does anyone here know of any work going? I'm prepared for just about any sort of work just to get established in Helsinki, with that in mind, could anyone point me in the direction of possible employers? I have visited the city and know my way around it well and have some contacts there, but they, like me are from the UK and have no real insight as yet into Finnish work availability as they are contracted in an academic sense. Any help will be gratefully received,
Thanks in advance,
Sean

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Looking for work in Helsinki

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes but what work can you actually do - besides literary escapades? (even hobbies do - I know a few people who ended doing something totally different) Usually the requirement is "experience". Some jobs require less language - depends on the job. Then theres of course positions that pop up as say technical writers/proofreaders and of course teaching jobs. But depending on the job and the level they might ask for "papers" and Finland is quite anal in requirements for schools (masters degree in philology and a minor in pedagogy to get a tenure - but of course they hire "unqualified" at 1/2 pay eagerly). At the moment its still the "crunch" and companies are still downsizing or not hiring - depending on the industry. So its the good old MOL, Monster & networking drums approach.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."