Working Placement in Helsinki

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Upphew

Re: Working Placement in Helsinki

Post by Upphew » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:16 am

Mook wrote:800 Euro/month marketing assistants can translate material and update websites too.
Suunto should hire one who can translate to Finnish...

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:59 am

Tiwaz wrote: I'm honestly not interested to figure out how many advertisement etc companies in Helsinki area are interested in trainee who speaks no Finnish, so I invented numbers out of thin air.
This air is OK as long as it closely reflects reality.

Do you have an opinion on how the system goes in the Social area or do you think that things revolve around the same figures?
Free your mind and the rest will follow!

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:57 am

Mook wrote: 800 Euro/month marketing assistants can translate material and update websites too.
No Finnish remember

Mook

Post by Mook » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:35 pm

rinso wrote:
Mook wrote: 800 Euro/month marketing assistants can translate material and update websites too.
No Finnish remember
Finglish -> English

and a placement should be even easier to get if you're willing to work for free
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Tiwaz wrote:I got the numbers off the top of my head.

I'm honestly not interested to figure out how many advertisement etc companies in Helsinki area are interested in trainee who speaks no Finnish, so I invented numbers out of thin air. Their purpose is to be descriptive instead of absolute numbers.

I have for example no knowledge on amount of classmates OP has either. I would guess 20 might be too little.
This post makes me laugh, but also want to hurt somebody.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 am

Mook wrote: Finglish -> English
Except you still have to have solid grasp of Finnish to be able to grasp what Finglish is trying to tell you.
It is even worse if particular idioms and principles of both Finnish AND English are foreign to you.
and a placement should be even easier to get if you're willing to work for free
That is what you think. For company it always means having someone hold trainees hand while they figure out what they are supposed to do.
TampereOwl wrote: This post makes me laugh, but also want to hurt somebody.
So, what in your opinion are odds for trainee wannabe to find a trainee position in Finland without speaking proper Finnish?
Clearly you must have some well researched study to back up your claim that they have it easy. Which is surprising considering how difficult it is for FINNS to get training positions.

Go on, I am always amused by your fantasies. I just feel sorry for those fools who take your delusions as reality.

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:46 am

Tiwaz wrote:

So, what in your opinion are odds for trainee wannabe to find a trainee position in Finland without speaking proper Finnish?
I have no idea, really. Neither do you.
Clearly you must have some well researched study to back up your claim that they have it easy.
Did the voices in your head really answer your previous question that quickly? I've made no claims, unlike you. Lets see your research.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:58 am

TampereOwl wrote: I have no idea, really. Neither do you.
Far better idea apparently since I can tell flat out to OP that her chances are low with all the competition for those few niche positions.
Did the voices in your head really answer your previous question that quickly? I've made no claims, unlike you. Lets see your research.
I gave example, you thick skulled fool. I explained to OP why she will have serious problems getting those trainee jobs without fluent Finnish. Simple reason of supply/demand being vastly lopsided.

Not only she has to compete for those few jobs with other wishfuls from her own class, but also with FINNISH students who study same field.
But unlike Finns, she is limited to this niche area where she miraculously can work in Finnish work environment without speaking the local lingo.

TampereOwl

Post by TampereOwl » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:13 am

You've already admitted you have no clue what you're talking about, that's why I laughed before. Not posting any more today, have stuff to do.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 am

TampereOwl wrote:You've already admitted you have no clue what you're talking about, that's why I laughed before. Not posting any more today, have stuff to do.
Actually, I admitted I do not have exact numbers. But actual condition is factual. No jobs, even trainee, for no-speaks. Not in any notable amount.

Mook

Post by Mook » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Tiwaz wrote: But unlike Finns, she is limited to this niche area where she miraculously can work in Finnish work environment without speaking the local lingo.
Lots of people do it.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Mook wrote:
Tiwaz wrote: But unlike Finns, she is limited to this niche area where she miraculously can work in Finnish work environment without speaking the local lingo.
Lots of people do it.
Yeah Tiwaz, every foreigner coming here for 6 month can find a no lingo job if he or she is determined enough.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 am

Well Mook, if it is so easy to find jobs without speaking Finnish in Finland.

Why in hell are those foreigners so goddamn miserable and ask for jobs here? Not to mention their huge unemployment numbers...

I wonder if you are talking out of your arse about tiny minority of lucky ones or about the large unwashed masses who try to find a job, ANY job, and fail.

All because they think that Finnish in Finland is somehow voluntary.

As I have repeatedly said, you might be lucky. You might a find a job without need for Finnish. But so can you be lucky and win in lottery. And just like you should not plan your economy on assumption of winning in lottery, you should not plan your career or studies in Finland based on lucking out and finding a spot where your language handicap is not noted.

OP, could you do your working placement abroad? It might be much easier for you to do it in your native country.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:53 am

Tiwaz wrote:Why in hell are those foreigners so goddamn miserable and ask for jobs here?
So this place is the lowest one can get to?
I never regarded is as less than an English speaking forum that can give helpful information and tips in the exact area I'm interested in.
Tiwaz wrote:But so can you be lucky and win in lottery.
That would start with buying a lottery ticket which, according to Tiwaz, is useless anyway for you'd fail.
Tiwaz wrote:And just like you should not plan your economy on assumption of winning in lottery, you should not plan your career or studies in Finland based on lucking out and finding a spot where your language handicap is not noted.
You definitely shouldn't plan your economy on the assumption of winning the lottery, it might make a bit more sense to plan your studies on lucking out and finding a spot where your language handicap is not noted. : )
It's not impossible. And trying can make you one of the lucky ones. Not trying, going back to your native country after reading these posts would actually mean failing, nothing else. : )

OP, if you're first year student, I can guess it's a must that you do your practice placement in Finland. After reviewing carefully your application, after making it look professional but not forgetting to add bits of your personality in it, after you make sure people see you're motivated and work orientated, after you put your best in it, try and apply. I think it's essential that you're backed up by studies conducted in Finland. So.. after you got tired of trying, try again. Do lots of networking, talk to people.

I don't know how this would work exactly in your terrain of study, but I sent some applications for a practice placement in Social Services area like two days ago, the first reply I got was a positive one.
Last edited by jazzori on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:57 am

Pursuivant wrote:
jazzori wrote:(and they're aware we don't speak Finnish because it's a school with tuition in English.)
They offer those Finnish courses just for heckles.
I always say "tuition in English", gaaah! : D Frustrating! I mean "conducted in English". Pöh!