Belgian with languageskills (dutch, german, swedish, ...)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Pieter

Post by Pieter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi.

My name is Pieter. I am from Belgium originally, but I moved to Helsinki a while ago. I am currently looking for a job which involves languages. I'm thinking teacher, journalist, communication, guide, etc. My native language is dutch/flemish, but I can also speak french, english, german, swedish, norwegian and danish. I also know some finnish, but my knowlegde is still very basic unfortunately. I am working on that however! I have a bachelordegree in linguistics and literaturescience for German and Scandinavian Languages (with swedish as major). At the moment I'm also doing some courses of Journalism here in Helsinki.

I hear there must be a job somewhere out there that would suit me perfectly. So I hope someone can give some good advice or even offer me a job.

Heippa!
Pieter

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Belgian with languageskills (dutch, german, swedish, ...)

Post by onkko » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:07 pm

If that what you say is really speak and not "speak" then i dont see why you would have problem to get a work.
Send your CW to all companies what do international business (nokia, kone, kesko, lidl, finnair, metso etc..), ask your local kela and employment office what translator business they use and send your CW to there and also to other translating businesses. Also send your CW to foreign ministry and other ministrys, your lack of finnish and/or finnish citizenship can restrict those but its worth to try.
Getting "translator papers" (i have no idea how but then its official you can translate) may be good idea.
Also sign up in all workforce renting places, studentwork have some part time stuff atleast for native speakers for language x in time to time.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:17 am

Good advice Onkko. It is however CV (Curriculum Vitae). They might throw his CW in the WC. :)

Pieter

Post by Pieter » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:18 pm

onkko wrote:If that what you say is really speak and not "speak" then i dont see why you would have problem to get a work.
Never underestimate a Belgian! :D I do speak these languages. The one thing that I keep hearing though is that you have to know finnish really well before they hire you and that just Swedish is not enough. Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a try that way.

Kiitos!