Italian teacher looking for job in Oulu(not only as teacher)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
blue_star

Post by blue_star » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:38 pm

I am a cheerful 24 years old girl from Italy. I just moved to Oulu and I'm looking for a job.
I have completed a Bachelor's degree in Languages and literatures (English and Finnish) in Italy and also have experience as teacher (I thaught different kind of subjects to Junior High students and Italian to foreigners elementary children), but also as receptionist and translator.
I do speak Finnish, it's not perfect, but I can communicate and understand quite well.
My biggest ambition would be to continue teaching Italian here in Oulu, but so far I haven't been successful. I am open really to any kind of work.
I am also interested in työharjoittelu. Can anyone give me more information about it? (how does it work, who pays me, if someone does, and so on.)

Really looking forward to read your replies.
Thank you in advice.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Italian teacher looking for job in Oulu(not only as teacher)

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:58 am

blue_star wrote: My biggest ambition would be to continue teaching Italian here in Oulu,
Then you need to become a teacher.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

blue_star

Post by blue_star » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Yup. I have been thinking about it and next year I'm going to apply for a Master of Education here. Hopefully it will give me more changes to get a work as a teacher. :)
But in the meantime I'm looking really for anything to support myself somehow.

taikinatom

Post by taikinatom » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:46 pm

blue_star wrote: I have completed a Bachelor's degree in Languages and literatures (English and Finnish) in Italy and also have experience as teacher (I thaught different kind of subjects to Junior High students and Italian to foreigners elementary children), but also as receptionist and translator.
Make that taught.
Otherwise, I would focus on all the other jobs, and not on the teaching jobs. There's no hope for those, certainly not close to a big city like Oulu. Instead of doing a master in education, I would go for something a bit lower but with more job opportunities. I have completed both bachelor and master degrees in Finland, in Finnish, and i am officially qualified to teach mathematics and physics in Finland, yet there are no jobs for me. I went back to my home country (at least for a while).

Of course you might have a chance of getting a job teaching italian in evening school or something like that. Being a native speaker you might be in a good position. And your chances are increased by the fact that evening schools don't care that much about the qualifications of their teachers as they do in yläkoulu/lukio. But I don't think there's more than one or two jobs like that in Oulu so you'd have to be extremely lucky to land one of those.

Anyway, good luck!