how to write CV ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Dianora

how to write CV ?

Post by Dianora » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Hello!

I want to aply to a job position in Finland and now i have to write my CV in finnish.
Is there any example of a good CV on the net or a site that explains how to write a good CV in finnish?
I tryed to find it but had no luck.

Thanks

how to write CV ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

schneemie

Re: how to write CV ?

Post by schneemie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 pm

if you search for "cv malli" you might get some results

here is an example

http://www.uku.fi/careerservices/tyonha ... uscv.shtml

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:24 am

read the first post in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6317

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:42 am

rinso wrote:read the first post in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6317
There are lots of mistakes there.

in finland, a CV is used, not a resume. it is fact based, but of course one can used power words.

absolutely no mention of religion, or marital status. no photos.

CatNip

Post by CatNip » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Use CV or "ansioluettelo". Small passport photo is ok.
No Finn would ever mention religion on the CV, even if it was mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6317.

Marital status is normally mentioned, but what you put (how many kids, their ages etc, I would leave out)

Short, clear and presice CV. Max 2 pages, one page is the best solution. Never copy any template as such, otherwise employer might receive 10 CV's that look exacly the same.

Good template:
http://www.tek.fi/tyokirja/tt2004/kuvat/cv_english.pdf

Good luck!

Dianora

Post by Dianora » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks for the help! :D

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Again, i would not put a photo or marital status.

If you google työnhaku CV, you will find loads of samples in Finnish.

cressers

Post by cressers » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:55 pm

its illegal for companies to ask for a photo or age, so dont put either.

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:06 am

and if yout write a CV in Suoni without speaking or understanding it..You are asking for worse off trouble than admitting that you dont speak Finnish!!
Its a double edge sword but the not speaking Finnish side when you dont is blunt than when you really dont and do write your CV in Finnish!!

CatNip

Post by CatNip » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 am

cressers wrote:its illegal for companies to ask for a photo or age, so dont put either.
Asking age in Finland is not illegal. Age or year of birth is a default data in a Finnish CV. Normally is not a discussion topic in the interview anyway, but should be in CV.

Definition in Finland is that employer can ask anything what is related to the tasks and applicant’s ability to carry out the required tasks. In this context employer is for example able to ask from an applicant if she/he has some problems with eye sight.

Any topic you put to the table yourself, kids, health problems, partying, marital problems etc., you open the door for an employer to discuss about the topic.

If your Finnish is not good enough, then it's better to not to write in Finnish. Use spell check even to your English CV.
If the job ad is in Finnish, then you are supposed to send the application and CV in Finnish as well, If the ad is in English, then everyhting in English.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

cressers wrote:its illegal for companies to ask for a photo or age, so dont put either.
Except 95% of CVs I've read in Finland (and each spring I have to read 20 - 50 of them) has included the date of birth and a photo.

Sticking a photograph in with your CV may have seemed pretentious 20 years ago, but with the advent of digital cameras, I'd say it's more or less expected to include a photo, for no other reason than to help the future employer connect the name (CV) and the face during the selection procedure.

Besides, how else are we supposed to pick out the hotties? <-- not entirely serious.

Dianora

Post by Dianora » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:38 am

I finaly managed to write it well bough in finnish and english.
I didn t include my photo but I think I ll do it for the next time I apply for a job position :D
In the end I didn t get the job, I m not really sure they needed someone, but the good thing is that I have my CV ready for the next time. :D

CatNip

Post by CatNip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Good luck with job searching:).

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:07 am

I don't really write C.Vs, I've always tried to compensate the poorness of a possible C.V by a witty resume for I really wouldn't stand too many chances using the first one. : )
Depends very much on the job you're applying for, but I think it helps a great deal if you show your personality as well behind all that work info.
Free your mind and the rest will follow!

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 am

Just seen this post, so thought I would add my comment: If you are at all photogenic then include a photo, but make sure the photo is good and that you are not wearing dirty/torn clothes, and not one of those facebook photos of you looking at an angle into a webcam... most CVs I receive have photos and IMO it adds a personnal touch to the application.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.