Help! Retail Jobs?????

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Pixatron

Help! Retail Jobs?????

Post by Pixatron » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi, my partner and I are looking to move to Finland, we're going to do the sensible thing and find work before hand. We are both British. I am 37 years old with 15 years supermarket retail experiance as a Deputy Manager. I am looking for retail work again and I'm currently learning Finnish which I hope will help. So far I get the impression that there isn't many jobs at all :( We would love to be in the northern part of Finland and I'm quite happy to commute.

Would be very grateful for some help and advise,

Many thanks!!!

Help! Retail Jobs?????

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

MagicJ

Re: Help! Retail Jobs?????

Post by MagicJ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 pm

I'd advise donning a flak jacket in preparation for what's to follow.......
ImageImage

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:09 pm

In the countryside many of the village shops close down.
Mainly because nobody wants to take over.
(yes, bad economic prospects)
It will be a financially difficult situation, but if you're determined, it should be possible

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Pixatron wrote: am looking for retail work again and I'm currently learning Finnish which I hope will help.

Many thanks!!!
I would say that Finnish language is essential .
Especialy out of the capital area.
Perhaps someone might disagree.

Regarding economic situation the "experts" say that we are over the worst. But I have just come back from our local
centre where I counted four empty/vacant shops. Two othes having closing down sales.
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Are there shops up north :?

Anyway.... the way into retail probably... is to take a course here in Finland (like a BBA in business management or one of the other Poly courses). You can learn Finnish Foreign Language at the same time too.

Honestly I can't imagine how a foreigner could get work at a management level in retail in Finland, unless you get direct entry on a relocation deal through a global brand. Exception is maybe Ikea who do seem to have quite a few foreigners working for them here. But S-group, Kesko, Stockmann.... I don't think so. These days, Russian seems more of an asset in retail than English.