Job in a library - Easy to get?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Sturmpoetin

Post by Sturmpoetin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Terve!
I am planning to move to Finland in about 2 years (need some more planning first :wink: ) and as I work as a librarian, I'd like to know how the chances of finding a job in a library are, especially as a foreigner?
I speak German, English, French, Latin, Swedish and a little bit of Finnish (learning for 3 years now, but definitely planning on learning more!).
Are there any other jobs you can get as a librarian with experience in the wide area of media and books, maybe as a sales assistant in a bookstore or a publisher? I am also experienced in the field of archives or photo agencies or museums. Is there a possibility I could work in a museum, maybe as a tourist guide?
I'd just like to evaluate how my chances are. Someone told me it's quite easy to find work in a library, because there are so many, but I'm still a little unsure about that.
Fact is, Finland is like my second home and I really want to live there forever :)
So, I'd be thankful for every answer! Kiitos!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Job in a library - Easy to get?

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:28 pm

Its a county job, so its government - to be a librarian as in a tenure you need to have a masters degree in... librarianism or whatever that is. Then libraries are the places you dump all people unemployable to do their "shelter job" for the county for the 6 months...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

CatNip

Post by CatNip » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:16 am

You can post your question regarding the library education here: http://www.libraries.fi/en-GB/ask_librarian/newest/.

blaugrau

Post by blaugrau » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 am

if you're German-speaking, you might also want to post your question on www.saksalaiset.fi (as far as i remember there's someone from germany working as a librarian in finland on that forum, although i think that person studied in finland not germany)

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 pm

To work as an employee of Helsinki city you must speak fluent Finnish, Swedish and English...
Haha.... that is so funny! You try getting people to use Swedish....

HAHAHA

Sturmpoetin

Post by Sturmpoetin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Heippa,

Thanks a lot for all your answers and web links! I'll ask on the other sites as well.
I do have a masters degree and Swedish and English are also no problem. Finnish could be a bit better, but I guess I can work on that ;)

Do I have to have the Finnish citizenship to work for the government?
What about the other places I mentioned, i.e. museums or archives? Or the German Library in Helsinki? Do I need as much Finnish there as well?

Thanks again!

onkko

Post by onkko » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:33 pm

I think only army/police/goverment reguires citizenship.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum