Financial Jobs in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
bluechips75

Post by bluechips75 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (even if i toroughly read it for quite long time now). My girlfriend for about 2 years now is finnish. She is graduating this spring to become a classroom teacher. I graduated last year from one of the top business school in Europe with a Msc in Finance and I'm trying to look for a job in M&A or in investment banking in Finland,

So I was wondering if I have any chance to find something knowing that I don't speak finnish at all (though I'm gonna start to learn) and I already speak fluently french, english and spanish.

Or Should I try to make another Msc in a Scandanavian country,

Thank you very much for your time and your patience,

Zim

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karhunkoski

Re: Financial Jobs in Finland

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Pick the "odd one out" in this list:

London, New York, Shanghai, Tokyo, Zurich, Honk Kong, Helsinki.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:Pick the "odd one out" in this list:

London, New York, Shanghai, Tokyo, Zurich, Honk Kong, Helsinki.
Is it Frankfurt?

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:23 pm

bluechips75 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (even if i toroughly read it for quite long time now). My girlfriend for about 2 years now is finnish. She is graduating this spring to become a classroom teacher. I graduated last year from one of the top business school in Europe with a Msc in Finance and I'm trying to look for a job in M&A or in investment banking in Finland
How should we know? Try sending your CV to some companies in Helsinki, then you'll have your answer.

Rocket science this is not.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:29 pm

I think you need to network like crazy (eg ALL your girlfriend's friends, relations, ex-school mates, ex-boy friends, etc) because that is probably the best way of finding out what is available.

I teach/have taught a few investment fund managers but they are all in the public sector. Seems like the way in is easier if you have some experience in a particular niche. So if you are coming here with no experience at all and no contacts, you will find it much harder.

You could also try the big consultancy firms as they do hire non-Finns occasionally (PWC, Accenture etc)

If you haven't already, then try asking the question on salutfinlande.net I think most of the regulars on there are chemists and biologists but there might be a banquier hanging around too! Bon courage!

dhrubai

Post by dhrubai » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi,

My wife's situation is also a little bit similar so I thought to bump the thread. She is having a Master's degree in Life Sciences but working as an operations manager in a very reputed European Bank (investment banking dept) in India for last 6.5 years. I am also from India, but working as a Researcher in University of Helsinki for more than 3.5 years. We are married for last 2 years, and she tried to get a job in Helsinki, but failed through headhunters and all. Any pointers which may help her to be here with a decent job in her field? She is also considering to do a masters in Finance from HSE and then look for job in the stream. Any suggestions on anything? I feel bad to stay away from her, but at the same time don't want her to leave her decent/steady job and join me to get frustrated after the initial honeymoon days are gone as I don't have a 'permanent' job here. It may so happen that in future days I may have to leave Helsinki for some other option.

Basic info which may be required to give opinions: We are from India, She has done MSc in Life Sciences but decided to be in banking because she liked the job.
I have an A visa here.
She has absolutely no knowledge of Finnish language.
The Bank she works for in India has a branch here in Helsinki, but the option of getting transferred here has been ruled out by the bank authorities.

Thanx for reading and opining
best regards
Arnab

suudella

Post by suudella » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am

Chances are very slim in Finland for foreigners, nowadays it is not even about if you speak Finnish language or not , its more about if you are Finnish. I have a classmate with Master in Finance from HSE and good grades too, she speaks very good Finnish as well, it seems she has failed to get any job here after many attempts. Try some other countries, you might get lucky, Finland is not open minded...