Wages

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
KIPKEMBOI KURGAT

Wages

Post by KIPKEMBOI KURGAT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Can somebody tell me what is the minimum hourly wage in Finland. Also if you are employed to work in Kerava and you live in Helsinki is your employer legally obliged to cater for your train ticket fare?

Which is the web link where i can this kind of information

Wages

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Wages

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:28 pm

OK...
1) There is no such thing as "minimum hourly wage" in Finland. Depending on what work you do you, theres an union contract (if not available at the workplace then online or at the employment offices) that covers the job and sets the minimum wages. You just need to know which TES you're hired under.
2) Its your problem where you live, not your employers. You can however deduct the train ticket price for 11 months from your taxes for the amount that goes over the "liability", its calculated from the "cheapest fare by public transport". Thats explained in the tax return booklet.

BTW if you don' join an union then atleast join the unemployment fund www.ytk.fi (as otherwise if you get unemployed you won't get jack, requires 10 months employment to get onto the dole, but still)
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Pursuivant wrote:BTW if you don' join an union then atleast join the unemployment fund http://www.ytk.fi (as otherwise if you get unemployed you won't get jack, requires 10 months employment to get onto the dole, but still)
34 weeks during 28 months to be precise.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

KIPKEMBOI KURGAT

Post by KIPKEMBOI KURGAT » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi Pursuivant, I am a foreign student working part-time in Kerava. My employer pays me only Euro 8 per hour to clean yet i do that on a sunday. Is sunday not to be paid double. If yes advice me where i can lounge my complaign.Thanks very much pursuivant you really help people in this forum.Please advice me on this

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:51 pm

The normal way of making an agrement of part time casual employment is:
1: You ask for job.
2: Boss makes offer of wages.
3: You agree or reject offer...it is called negotiating. You have the option to accept or reject.
4: If you agreed to being paid 8 Euro an hour that is what you get, unless boss said/agreed to pay double time Sunday.
5: If you think you are being ripped off then quit and find a better employer, I doubt your current boss will care.

The only place to lodge a complaint is with trade union..but first you need to join one.
This is the union for Cleaners etc.
http://www.pam.fi/in_english/

There has been some recent publicity about berry/fruit growers being told/advised/asked to treat/pay "foreign" pickers better. I suspect the net result will less foreign pickers will get hired.
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

KIPKEMBOI KURGAT

Post by KIPKEMBOI KURGAT » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks again, I think the employers must be really taking advantage of the difficult job situation and thus paying bad wages. I cannot do anything,quitting cannot be a solution because i cannot be sure to secure another job.

wicked lewis

Post by wicked lewis » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:08 am

I have a degree and i get paid like 4 per hour, if id get 8 id probably work one day for free...

wicked lewis

Post by wicked lewis » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:23 am

KIPKEMBOI KURGAT wrote:Thanks again, I think the employers must be really taking advantage of the difficult job situation and thus paying bad wages. I cannot do anything,quitting cannot be a solution because i cannot be sure to secure another job.
R they hiring where you work?

JohnGabriel

Post by JohnGabriel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Pursuivant wrote:There is no such thing as "minimum hourly wage" in Finland.
This is 90% correct. Another thing to add is what I just read today in a leaflet from Kela:

Code: Select all

Regardless of your country of origin, coverage for sickness, etc... begins as soon as you meet the minimum requirements of working 18 hours a week at least for 4 consecutive months and your pay is consistent with the terms of the relevant collective agreement. Where no collective agreement exists, your pay for full-time work must be at least 961 euros per month (as of 2008).
- God forgives, Finland doesn't -