Pharmacy in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Finbrit

Pharmacy in Finland

Post by Finbrit » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi,
I am currently a registered Pharmacy Technician in the United Kingdom and want to live and work in Finland (Joensuu if possible). I can speak and understand most Finnish, if I lived there for a month or two it would soon come back to me so that isn't too much of a problem. I just wanted to know if my UK qualification would allow me to work in Finland and how I would go about applying for a job.
Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Pharmacy in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Pharmacy in Finland

Post by Rip » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:01 pm

And then as for the probabilities of landing a job - in what language are you expected to serve people?
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 pm

One my friend in mind, from China, with pharmaceutical background found job in pharmacy after few weeks of searching. No Finnish skill.
It looks this area in demand here. All locals speak English ok.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 am

finlandforumuser wrote:All locals speak English ok.
All locals do not want to be speak English even if they could.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 pm

One my friend in mind, from China, with pharmaceutical background found job in pharmacy after few weeks of searching.
I would love to know which pharmacy that is and I will avoid it like the plague. Buying medication from a pharmacy where the person handing over the drugs is not able to read Finnish... sounds very dangerous.

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 pm

interleukin wrote:
One my friend in mind, from China, with pharmaceutical background found job in pharmacy after few weeks of searching.
I would love to know which pharmacy that is and I will avoid it like the plague. Buying medication from a pharmacy where the person handing over the drugs is not able to read Finnish... sounds very dangerous.
I don't think it would be even legal, but some of the larger pharmacies perhaps have jobs such as these that don't need normal qualifications - but even in most of them, I'd expect the people want to be served in Finnish (or possibly Swedish).

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Upphew wrote:
finlandforumuser wrote:All locals speak English ok.
All locals do not want to be speak English even if they could.
Perhaps, this is correct but in most of companies English is official language. It is good for business, as creates the staff diversification .

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Rip wrote: I don't think it would be even legal,
Well, Chinese people are very hardworking, so employer really like to hire them.

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 pm

interleukin wrote:
I HATE RACISM.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

I HATE dying because my pharmacist could not read Finnish.

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:59 am

finlandforumuser wrote: Well, Chinese people are very hardworking, so employer really like to hire them.
finlandforumuser wrote:
I HATE RACISM.
I guess you never noticed that your (first quoted) sentence is much closer to being racist than the one you are so upset with..? Anyway hiring only people that know the language that is needed, either to serve customers (using the language they wish to be served with) or otherwise getting the job well and safely done is not racism by any reasonable definition.

By the way, I know some hard working Chinese people, some of them even hard working enough to have learned Finnish.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 am

finlandforumuser wrote:
Upphew wrote:All locals do not want to be speak English even if they could.
Perhaps, this is correct but in most of companies English is official language. It is good for business, as creates the staff diversification .
BS. In Finland we have roughly 320000 companies. 36000 of those have 5 or more people working. And I'd say that even most of those have Finnish as the official language.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:49 am

Even if some high-up boss has decided that on paper, the official language of a company is English, it does not mean that the people actually working there will care. They will keep speaking in Finnish in meetings unless there is a foreigner present, the coffee breaks will be in Finnish. The non-Finnish speaker will be a novelty thing and accepted as such if he/she is highly qualified at what he/she does. That does not mean that a medium-level boss is comfortable with English and it certainly does not mean that the foreigner gets hired. Especially if there is a Finn available with perfect Finnish AND English skills.

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

interleukin wrote:Even if some high-up boss has decided that on paper, the official language of a company is English, it does not mean that the people actually working there will care. They will keep speaking in Finnish in meetings unless there is a foreigner present, the coffee breaks will be in Finnish. The non-Finnish speaker will be a novelty thing and accepted as such if he/she is highly qualified at what he/she does. That does not mean that a medium-level boss is comfortable with English and it certainly does not mean that the foreigner gets hired. Especially if there is a Finn available with perfect Finnish AND English skills.
All these could be true, however, there are plenty of foreigns work here, including me, no Finnish at all. I am here over ten years and don't feed any discomfort with language.