Need avice - English Speaking Jobseeker

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
ajl

Re: Need avice - English Speaking Jobseeker

Post by ajl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 am

yle says 40% of those who complete a degree abroad stay in that country.. not quite the vast
majority... maybe yle has somewhere how they computed this figure

http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/08/more ... 31311.html

moving is in the bad <-> crazy continuum

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:22 am

It was mentioned in the news. I think its quite more likely for the student after "tasting the grass across the fence" and getting his internship done and the "acclimatization" then hearing his ex-classmates trying in vain to find their first job (we are looking for someone with experience), and theres a big house, nice car and maybe a HotBrunette encircled... Then if you "don't make it" you can come play ghetto back home. I mean if you have left the farm in Nowheremäki, Helsinki, Hamar or Hartford are all as "far". Now if I'd had any sense in me (and thered been internet like noe), I'd buggered off right after hotel school to get a career and maybe I'd be a manager of some pisspot with a lush salary, instead of aspiring to making minimum wage here - if I'd stayed in the hospitality industry.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:58 am

tummansininen wrote: Too true. I hear it on the grapevine quite a lot, of insanely qualified and experienced people not even getting to interview because of the surname on their CV. It's not traditional stereotypical "Go home the lot of yas!" racism, it's more a case of employers preferring the familiar kinds of people whose culture and behaviour they understand.
Since there are almost always (much) more applicants than places, the employer uses filters such as; experience, age, education, to reduce the number of interviews. And "name" might become a filter too, especial if your data do not excel in the other fields.

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm

rinso wrote:Since there are almost always (much) more applicants than places, the employer uses filters such as; experience, age, education...
Your filter could include also gender, skin color, race. It is not necessary in the order as you expect: a person maight not be able even to show his experience and education as he is filtered by the race. Indeed this is discrimination. Personally I don't mind about it -- just need to be flexible.

On another hand with that Finnish mentality in the end of day we have what we have here: the struggling lousy business. Local staff is lazy, non-innovative, no self development and mostly doing blue color jobs. As result on another end -- protectionism of unions, tough rules for business and weak salaries as well as lack of competitiveness. These all come from your "filer".

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 pm

tummansininen wrote: They're probably going to toss out the lady who hasn't worked for the last five years, because they can *guess* that she might not be reliable.
Naah, she'll be reliably having "kid sick at home days" and pop preggers... :twisted:

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 am

finlandforumuser wrote: Your filter could include also gender, skin color, race. It is not necessary in the order as you expect: a person maight not be able even to show his experience and education as he is filtered by the race. Indeed this is discrimination. Personally I don't mind about it -- just need to be flexible.
Show his experience and education? In case you have not figured it out, those should be already there in his CV which is pretty much mandatory to go along with application.

If you do not put your CV filled carefully along with application, it explains a lot about your perceived "discrimination".

IE, it is not discrimination but applicant stupidity.

Another thing of this education is that how many immigrants manage to grasp that this is Finland, we know our OWN school system. Nor foreign ones.

Let's for example take two other school systems. US one and UK one. What average Finn knows of these?

Well, most likely they are familiar with films, thus...

USA is place where at high school kids struggle in human relationships trying to find "the true love". Quite possibly by clinging to obsessive sparkly bloodsucker. Studying is irrelevant.
Same with college, with some additional crap put in.

UK? What average Finn knows of fine products of British schooling is that they often like rowing, wear stupid looking mandatory suits or fly with a broom.

This is why every foreign credential has to be recognized into Finnish equivalent.
On another hand with that Finnish mentality in the end of day we have what we have here: the struggling lousy business. Local staff is lazy, non-innovative, no self development and mostly doing blue color jobs. As result on another end -- protectionism of unions, tough rules for business and weak salaries as well as lack of competitiveness. These all come from your "filer".
And country which repeatedly comes up near top in terms of competitiveness and high quality of education etc. Oh what a disappointment!

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Finlan ... 5249188464

Finland is only considered highly competitiveness, highly innovative and so forth.

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiatives/g ... /index.htm

Why let facts or studies stand in the way of Finland bashing!

finlandforumuser

Post by finlandforumuser » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Tiwaz wrote: And country which repeatedly comes up near top in terms of competitiveness and high quality of education etc. Oh what a disappointment!
Forget about those !"#¤% ratings. These all depend on brainwashing, country image, impression.
I was working and living in many countries, I tell you ratings are nothing and real situation in Finland far beyond that.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:17 am

finlandforumuser wrote:
Tiwaz wrote: And country which repeatedly comes up near top in terms of competitiveness and high quality of education etc. Oh what a disappointment!
Forget about those !"#¤% ratings. These all depend on brainwashing, country image, impression.
I was working and living in many countries, I tell you ratings are nothing and real situation in Finland far beyond that.
Yes, let's forget about ratings and studies and facts.

Because it is so much more obvious that some random idiot with huge chip on shoulder is so much more credible source of unbiased and well studied information.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Watching YleLeaks this morning reminded me of this thread...
Pursuivant wrote:
sinikala wrote:and Smiler Stubb.
That smarmy douche is so removed from "real life" its better he buggered off back to Brussels to winkle his pinkie.
Didn't quite work out that way did it?! :lol:
Can't believe you dumb ba***rds allowed this guy to become Prime Minister. <shakes head to self>
Pursuivant wrote:It was mentioned in the news. I think its quite more likely for the student after "tasting the grass across the fence" and getting his internship done and the "acclimatization" then hearing his ex-classmates trying in vain to find their first job (we are looking for someone with experience), and theres a big house, nice car and maybe a HotBrunette encircled... Then if you "don't make it" you can come play ghetto back home. I mean if you have left the farm in Nowheremäki, Helsinki, Hamar or Hartford are all as "far". Now if I'd had any sense in me (and thered been internet like noe), I'd buggered off right after hotel school to get a career and maybe I'd be a manager of some pisspot with a lush salary, instead of aspiring to making minimum wage here - if I'd stayed in the hospitality industry.

And you finally did, and don't seem to want to come back. :lol:

So you now have some insight on the difference between the Finnish way of vetting qualifications and experience for jobseekers vs. how it's done in God's own country... discuss.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:51 pm

As the paperwork is cut off weetabix boxes or came as an insert in the Beano you rely more on references (and actually call them). Not everyone has a degree, and theres a whole lot less polymaths, you're supposed to do only "one thing" and people are astonished an office worker can lay bricks. As for the language, well, if you can't English you can always get a job at SportsDirect it seems :lol: As for letting people go... In Finland theres union rules and whatnot, in UK its 'sorry you got no hours, piss off'...