NURSING JOBS

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
onkko

Re: NURSING JOBS

Post by onkko » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:01 am

Rosamunda wrote:if Finland is that desperate to find medical professionals
No finland is not, its desperate to find payers to pay for medical professionals or people willing to work with low pay and short contracts. Finns just dont accept part time/3 month etc contracts with low pay too long so they end up either emigrate or find other professions where income is constant and/or better.
For example my county decided that they have to make 4 nurses as permanent instead of offering part time/temporary jobs if they want to keep nurses in here and i hope others follow.
And no, even fluent swedish wont help in 99% of places in finland if you dont have good finnish to go with it.

My mother was a nurse and had travel around sweden and norway to work, he didnt sign "too long" contracts in there because she wanted to find job near home. Sweden and norway in many cases were more near than works in finland and pay was better. In finland it was just few month temp jobs. And we are talking one who spoke finnish, swedish and english. She died suddenly about 10 years ago but what i have heard of my friends who are nurses things havent changed that much.

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:25 am

But in Espoo the situation was quite different. Many doctors and nurses are women and many have young families, they don't want permanent full-time contracts with unsocial working hours. Espoo refused to give them flexible, part-time working arrangements, so gradually they all left to work in the private sector (or do something completely different). And then there's the tax situation which has pushed many health professionals to become self-employed "freelancers". I think the govt and the municipalities could do more to improve the situation but they seem to be focusing on economies of scale: closing down the smaller health centres and merging them into bigger units.

I found this article from way back (2007) comparing the working conditions of nurses in Finland and Sweden. Interestingly, when nurses were in critically short supply in Sweden, it was OK for a Finnish nurse with almost no Swedish to work in an operating theatre using English as a lingua franca. From what I have read on here, that (ie foreigners using English in an operating theatre) would never happen in Finland.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 pm

I read that article too. But from what I remember of being in the operating room now and again, the names of the instruments are either in english, or they have a universal name like a persons name - McKinley clamp etc... So it really is probably one of the places you can get away with a minimum of language skills, the patients are already under, so all you have to say to them is "wake up", then the recovery team take over. Plus good, experienced OR nurses are always in demand, everywhere.

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 am

Last edited by GermanInHelsinki on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:10 am

It is of course wrong to say a modest Finn claiming her Swedish left much to be desired would speak almost no Swedish.

When the article says she didn't know the names of the implements in Swedish, that of course implies that she was able to have a normal conversation in Swedish and only lacked these specific words.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:33 am

When using "of-course", you are setting up the following info into a "definite context".

This of course cannot be true all the time.

Of course 1+1=2, it works! The rule or ruling parameter is evident.

Of course she spoke some swedish. Ruling parameter is hearsay.
She probably spoke some swedish, it works!

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello all

I was just wondering how tough it is to actually be admitted onto a Finnish degree course in Nursing? I am an EU citizen (from UK) and would be applying from outside of Finland. I just have a few queries:

Is it possible to apply to more than one course/unversity i.e. spreading my bets?
I am educated quite highly in another discipline (env sci) but am considering a career change, would that be frowned upon?
Also since nursing is a largely female profession are there still a large number of males admitted?
Also are more mature students regularly admitted (I'm late 30s)?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers.

onkko

Post by onkko » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:08 am

Markmywords wrote:Hello all

I was just wondering how tough it is to actually be admitted onto a Finnish degree course in Nursing? I am an EU citizen (from UK) and would be applying from outside of Finland. I just have a few queries:

Is it possible to apply to more than one course/unversity i.e. spreading my bets?
I am educated quite highly in another discipline (env sci) but am considering a career change, would that be frowned upon?
Also since nursing is a largely female profession are there still a large number of males admitted?
Also are more mature students regularly admitted (I'm late 30s)?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers.
Do you speak finnish?
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:32 pm

No, I don't speak Finnish, and I didn't think that was a requirement to be admitted to most of the degree courses. Granted it might be an issue on graduation from what I've read. Kiitos

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:29 pm

I was just wondering with regards Nursing degree courses, can I apply to several institutions (hence hedging my bets) or just one? Kiitos

Leipuri

Post by Leipuri » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 am

When I looked into applying for a bachelors in nursing at a polytechnic, there were only three programs that one could qualify for without a B1 in Finnish at the beginning of the courses. Further, the number of places verses the number of applicants was not encouraging. I have concluded that unless you are very prepared for the entrance exam and have a "right to study," the expense of flying into Finland to sit the entrance exam might not be a sound investment.
Witht the combined application system, you may apply for all three of those programs simultaniously.

it does appear however that you should expect to sit exams in all three locations.

Before you get too excited about 2300 Euros, make sure you do a cost of living comparison to see what your spending power in Finland with that amount relates to in your current location.

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Ok thanks for that Leipuri. Yes I chose several programs where I could do it in English only. I read something about having to send certificates to my 1st choice only. Surely though all the UAS's I applied to would want copies? Any experience with this? Cheers