Home catering Business ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
nora90

Home catering Business ?

Post by nora90 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:12 am

Hey
I really want to open a home catering business where i sell baked goods and sweets from home to private clients based on their orders.

I have heard that this is illegal in finland?
Anyone with any advice please come forward.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers

Breastfeeding Survival Guide With Tips, Tricks and Reviews for Mums: Visit Us at breastfeeding-survival-guide.com

Home catering Business ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Home catering Business ?

Post by onkko » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 am

Its not illegall if you do it legally, you just have to prove that you can do it in needed regulations and wont kill people with your food.
Ask local TE-keskus what you need.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

nora90

Post by nora90 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. i did what you suggested and sent them an email. Although I felt crushed after I read in one of the finnish forums that Food Act has banned baking at home and selling illegal. But I wasnt ready to give up on my dream of opening a mini catering business from the comfort of my own home. So I emailed an officer to enquire about the possibility of working.

Here is a copy :
I am a stay at home mum currently on maternal leave. I want to ask if it is possible I can start a catering business at home and make food to sell to private customers. Is this allowed in finland?
What would I need to do.
If it is not allowed, can you suggest any way I can work at home and still be able to stay with my kids. I do not know any finnish.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

Hi Nora!

Well, it’s allowed, but you need a proper permit, please see: https://www.yrityssuomi.fi/web/permits/food

Here is a good guide about doing business in Finland: http://www.masuuni.info/articles/521/

And if you live in Helsinki, there is a place for new entrepreneurs, Enterprise Helsinki, www.yrityshelsinki.fi/en If you live in somewhere another town, you could find similar place from here: www.uusyrityskeskukset.fi

Best Regards

Isto Vironmäki
Yritys-Suomi puhelinpalvelu
yritysneuvoja
puh. 0295 020 500 (suomi)
www.yrityssuomi.fi

PS.
I went to the websites but I didnt read anything about it being illegal to bake goods and sell them.
Any help would be appreciated.
This above info is for anyone willing to give home catering a go.
Breastfeeding Survival Guide With Tips, Tricks and Reviews for Mums: Visit Us at breastfeeding-survival-guide.com

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm

nora90 wrote:Hey,
Thanks for your reply.
This above info is for anyone willing to give home catering a go.
"does the kitchen have all the requirements, building codes,zoning codes etc"
Did you find the pdf's for those?

nora90

Post by nora90 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:05 am

Thanks for pointing that out, No I did not notice that, unfortunately.
What does that mean. I know the system is very strict but is there a way we can still do it at home. Thanks

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 am

If you don't advertise or create your own company, it will most likely not get back to the authorities.
When it becomes a regular activity you might attract attention. Not only from the food safety inspection, but also from the tax man.

Post by 007 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 am

Its not illegall if you do it legally
morning laugh :lol:
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:43 pm

nora90 wrote:Thanks for pointing that out, No I did not notice that, unfortunately.
What does that mean. I know the system is very strict but is there a way we can still do it at home. Thanks
You need to locate the technical specs of what is considered a "permit-able kitchen for product sale to the public".
I cant link you to the pdf,s and i am sure there is pdf,s online that you can download and start to put all the pieces together.
A fin can find those!

The information is necessary before you go spending money on your kitchen to get it passable, when in fact there maybe be a code or building zone system that restricts the kitchens outlay . If you know what the kitchen is coded as then you can know what the kitchen outlay is to pass the code.
Building codes may restrict a type of kitchen code, so it is good business to understand what the building code/zoning codes are, and to understand what the kitchen codes are, that way you make informed choices.

The only example i can think of is that maybe some code somewhere restricted you to only 1 oven, and maybe your plans was to have 2 or 3 ovens.This information would be really handy before you start down the kitchen build up process.

Building codes/zoning codes is where i would start, this gives you an idea of what is structurally permitted/legally permitted.The business legalities of making and selling is secondary.

Greggers

Post by Greggers » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 am

Old thread resurrection!

Hey there Nora are you still around?

I want to do the same as you and was wondering if you had an update/advice?

texton

Post by texton » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm

How about you Greggers? Any update from your side?