Options for business after leaving Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Caroline

Post by Caroline » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm

We're aiming for a move at the end of this summer or early fall. I haven't decided yet whether or not to keep my business registered here, but first I'd like to find out if it's even possible. I'll probably ask for some advice from yrityspalvelukeskus, but I thought it would be good to get some input from here too.

If I understand correctly, because I am not an EU-national, if I don't get Finnish citizenship and I am not a full-time resident of Finland for 2 years in a row, I will lose my residency and work/entrepreneur rights after that amount of time has gone by, even though I currently have permanent and unlimited residency/work rights. Without a Finnish I.D. number for my toiminimi, basically my business would not exist, would it? I haven't yet heard of any stories of non-EU citizens keeping their small businesses open here after moving out of the country, so this point has me mystified.

I realize that it is not necessary to have your business registered in another country if your sales there do not exceed the VAT threshhold, but the reason why I'd like to keep my business ties here is that I want to be open for future opportunities- networking, resellers, and cooperative work...(or is that expecting too much?)

A couple of options that came to mind are: transfer ownership of the toiminimi to my husband's name, because he will most likely always be a Finnish citizen. Or, try to merge my business with that of another existing enterprise owned by an EU-national? Would either of those be possible?

Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic