First steps after getting my first job

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
rdial

Post by rdial » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi there,

I'm studying in the university (as an european with permanent residence) and luckily I found a nice job which let me study and work at the same time.

I'm however a bit lost right now about the first steps. I'll be signing the contract in a week more or less, but AFAIK there are some issues:

a/ What about the Tax Card? Should I make an estimation of my income and present a form to Vero? I never did that form and I heard that if I do not fill it they will take the highest percentage possible (or something similar).

b/ Will I be included in the Social Security System (KELA) automatically, or do I have to request it?

c/ Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you beforehand!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: First steps after getting my first job

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Also, if you are studying maybe 1/2 time, at some point check joining the YTK. If you lose your job, you won't get any unemployment without belonging to the fund. The rules really don't favor people doing both, but say you graduate and next day lose your job you're shafted as its 10 months paying in before you can claim.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Ishmael

Post by Ishmael » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:37 am

Hi, does your employer pay holiday pay or some other bonuses/benefits?
Because in that case I think it would make sense to multiply the monthly salary by more than 12 when estimating yearly salary.
I don't know if you have costs of commuting greater than 600€ per year - but if you do I think you can get a bit of tax reduction for that.
Also, do you have a bank account in Finland?

rdial

Post by rdial » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:33 pm

OP here, thank you very much for all your responses. I will answer below:
anna.g wrote:You should go to Vero and ask for a Tax card. They'll ask you to estimate and then figure out your level of tax. If you want to see how much that is, use this online tool:
http://prosentti.vero.fi/VPL2014/Sivut/Aloitus.aspx

If you don't go, they will keep 60%.
Definitely the tool I was looking for, and I will use it for sure. Thank you for providing the link!
roger_roger wrote:Congratulations at first.

visit vero.fi find the english language, go to tax card online, log in using netbank and let your imagination flow to fill the form. :?: (question signs) are there to help you if you didn't understand the thing. If you don't understand anything then visit vero office.

There is nothing automatically related with Kela and benefits in this country, so, you have to apply for it. They will make decision if you are eligible for Social Security. If your job is less than 18 hours per week, the likely decision would be application decline (I don't know the recent rules about it, better check kela.fi to be sure)

employers wil do the rest when you give the tax card to them. I don't remember if there is anything else you need to do then to keep your employer happy and enjoy your new working life :thumbsup:
My work will be about 30-35h per week, so I guess I would be able to get it. I will then apply for both things, thank you!
Pursuivant wrote:Also, if you are studying maybe 1/2 time, at some point check joining the YTK. If you lose your job, you won't get any unemployment without belonging to the fund. The rules really don't favor people doing both, but say you graduate and next day lose your job you're shafted as its 10 months paying in before you can claim.
I'm really interested on this. I heard many different stories, like applying for the Engineers' Union and so on. I quickly checked YTK and seems that the membership is around 100 € per year, which is affordable IMHO. I would say I'd get YTK or whatever it suits better for me, but at this point I need to get more information. I will do more research, although if you can suggest something more about this (really) I'd appreciate it.
Ishmael wrote:Hi, does your employer pay holiday pay or some other bonuses/benefits?
Because in that case I think it would make sense to multiply the monthly salary by more than 12 when estimating yearly salary.
I don't know if you have costs of commuting greater than 600€ per year - but if you do I think you can get a bit of tax reduction for that.
Also, do you have a bank account in Finland?
Oh well, we didn't actually signed it yet (probably next week), so I don't have the most specific details of it. About the commuting costs, I'd say that the company will cover them (bus card most likely). And yes, I do have a bank account since I arrived here ~two years ago and no problems so far.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 pm

If you are studying here and have that type of resident permit, are you sure you can work that many hours a week?

I thought students were only allowed to work a max 25 hours a week and then full time during the summer? This includes students from other EU countries studying here.

You should look into it, or you could have your permit revoked if you break the law.