Can I land an engineering job without speaking finish?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
regnet35

Post by regnet35 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi forum!

I'm from Sweden and I am a newly graduated engineer in applied physics. I'm currently looking for a job in the Helsinki area.

What are the chances to land a job without any knowledge in finish language. Is it a big disadvantage or is English sufficient as a engineer here?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

djvm98

Re: Can I land an engineering job without speaking finish?

Post by djvm98 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:37 pm

I'd say it's a bit unlikely, unless you are targeting big companies with an international base (Neste Oil, Stora Enso, Nokia or Nokia-soon-to-be Microsoft Mobile).

You might be aware that Swedish is also official language in Finland, even though is not exactly the same variant you speak in Sweden, you could have some success with companies founded and run by suomiruotsalaiset (Swedish speaking Finns), which internal business language could be Swedish and English, just come to my mind IDO Bathrooms, but do some research.

Rip

Re: Can I land an engineering job without speaking finish?

Post by Rip » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Larger the employee count, the more likely it is to work (it would not necessary need to be quite as big as the examples listed above).