English-speaker wanting to work in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
anon39

Post by anon39 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm from Australia, I only speak English.

My boyfriend is from Finland and I want to consider the possibility of working in Finland for a year or so to be able to live with him and I would also LOVE to live in Finland anyway.

I have started to learn Finnish but I know virtually nothing and can't hold a conversation in Finnish... much less a job I'm guessing. But I was wondering if there are opportunities for people to work in Finland in an English job, if that makes sense?

At the moment I'm studying to become a veterinarian, my degree won't count in Finland as far as I know, but I would like to be able to use my skills somehow and not just become a cleaner or something. I thought maybe there could be jobs working in labs or something and with a small amount of further training I could do something like that.

I'm not really sure what my options are but if anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate it!! Australia is so far from Finland :(

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

anon39

Re: English-speaker wanting to work in Finland

Post by anon39 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 am

I've only started thinking about this now and reading up on it, I'm pretty ignorant about residency permits and all that so I'm just trying to get a general idea of possible options... so your answer is really helpful, thanks :)

rinso

Re: English-speaker wanting to work in Finland

Post by rinso » Wed May 07, 2014 7:54 am

There is this working holiday visa for young Australians. You might qualify for it and spent a year in Finland. (Google it)
At the moment I'm studying to become a veterinarian, my degree won't count in Finland as far as I know
This does give you a chance. If you can certify your degree you can work as a vet in Finland (of course there still is a language barrier). In rural areas there are jobs available but not many candidates. And during your working holiday you can try to become a countries vets assistant.