Looking for work in Helsinki

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Luke Kap

Post by Luke Kap » Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi, Ive recently moved to Finland from Australia and I am looking for some work.

Unfortunately I don't speak Finnish apart from a few small words.
I am, however very experienced in a range of different areas including Sales & Marketing, Hospitality and Retail.

If any one has any advice or knows of any positions that may be available could you please respond to this post.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

thanquanngoc

Re: Looking for work in Helsinki

Post by thanquanngoc » Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 pm

You can try mol.fi

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri May 23, 2014 7:21 am

Luke Kap wrote: I don't speak Finnish

Sales & Marketing, Hospitality and Retail.
Don't you think yourself this is a mismatch?
Better widen your search parameters.

Luke Kap

Post by Luke Kap » Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

rinso wrote:
Luke Kap wrote: I don't speak Finnish

Sales & Marketing, Hospitality and Retail.
Don't you think yourself this is a mismatch?
Better widen your search parameters.

I'm not looking for work in just those fields, that is just what fields I am experienced in.

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Sat May 24, 2014 3:23 am

You do not seem to have any formal qualifications (university degree), you do not speak Finnish, and any potential employer would have to keep the job open for you for 3-6 months until you will get a decision whether or not you are granted a Residence Permit for that job.

It is obvious that noone would want to offer you a job.

A fruit picking summer job in rural Finland does not require a Residence Permit and is your only realistic option.

Luke Kap

Post by Luke Kap » Sun May 25, 2014 5:35 pm

GermanInHelsinki wrote:You do not seem to have any formal qualifications (university degree), you do not speak Finnish, and any potential employer would have to keep the job open for you for 3-6 months until you will get a decision whether or not you are granted a Residence Permit for that job.

It is obvious that noone would want to offer you a job.

A fruit picking summer job in rural Finland does not require a Residence Permit and is your only realistic option.
Why would an employer need to keep the job open for 3-6 months?? If I have a tax card can't I start working straight away?

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun May 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Luke Kap wrote: Why would an employer need to keep the job open for 3-6 months?? If I have a tax card can't I start working straight away?
You supplied little information, so people start guessing and filling in the blanks.

If you have a residence permit you can start working (some RP's have restrictions)
If you don't have a RP and you need a job to get one, then the employer needs to give you a contract and wait till you get your RP (which indeed could take 6 months)

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Sun May 25, 2014 7:21 pm

A tax card is for paying taxes. It does of course say nothing regarding whether you are allowed to work.

For a fruit picking summer job that does not require a Residence Permit you will of course want to have a tax card instead of paying 60% taxes.

For any normal job you will of course first need a Residence Permit for that job before you are allowed to start working.

Luke Kap

Post by Luke Kap » Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 am

GermanInHelsinki wrote:A tax card is for paying taxes. It does of course say nothing regarding whether you are allowed to work.

For a fruit picking summer job that does not require a Residence Permit you will of course want to have a tax card instead of paying 60% taxes.

For any normal job you will of course first need a Residence Permit for that job before you are allowed to start working.
Thanks for the response.
do you know if there is any way I could start working while waiting for my rp.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon May 26, 2014 8:05 am

do you know if there is any way I could start working while waiting for my rp.
apart from berry picking, no way.
if you do it might very well ruin your chances of getting the RP.

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Mon May 26, 2014 9:50 am

You can of course work while your Residence Permit is being processed if the job requires at least a Master's degree and pays over 3000 Euro per month.

If you are unskilled labour you are of course not allowed to work while waiting for a decision on the Residence Permit application for your job.