Change my Study Permit to Work Permit

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
jryisme

Post by jryisme » Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 am

Hi guys, I need your help here. I'm current a polytechnic student with 150 credits(60 credits more to finish my degree) . And now I get an excellent job highly related to my study. But in order to work full time, I have to get work permit instead of Residence Permit for student. I went to police station today and submitted everything they required. However, they also asked credits transcript and certificate for attendance from school.
I'm just wondering shall I register in my school as present or absent for next autumn and spring? In fact, it's is totally allowed by my company to take some evening courses while working. But I'm not sure what police wants, absent or present?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Change my Study Permit to Work Permit

Post by onkko » Fri May 30, 2014 11:06 am

jryisme wrote:Hi guys, I need your help here. I'm current a polytechnic student with 150 credits(60 credits more to finish my degree) . And now I get an excellent job highly related to my study. But in order to work full time, I have to get work permit instead of Residence Permit for student. I went to police station today and submitted everything they required. However, they also asked credits transcript and certificate for attendance from school.
I'm just wondering shall I register in my school as present or absent for next autumn and spring? In fact, it's is totally allowed by my company to take some evening courses while working. But I'm not sure what police wants, absent or present?
Did you ask from them?
What i learned is that officials arent your enemy if you dont try to play system,
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Fri May 30, 2014 11:14 am

What matters for a Residence Permit based on work is that there is no unemployed person available who could do this job instead of you. Whether you are additionally studying does not matter.

Note that if you haven't extended your Residence Permit based on studies already, different from permit extensions you do of course not have the right to work or live in Finland between the epiration of your old Student Residence Permit and the granting of your Residence Permit based on work.

jryisme

Post by jryisme » Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you both for replying me!
First, I of course don't want to or dare play around with legal system. :D Thanks for reminding.
Second, my student permit will be expired in September. So I don't worry about the permit, but which way is better. Cos I don't want to get a rejection....
Also I forgot to ask the officer in the police station. So I have to ask more people here.

Thank you!

GermanInHelsinki

Post by GermanInHelsinki » Fri May 30, 2014 3:12 pm

It is of course very optimistic to assume a first Residence Permit based on work would be decided in only 3 months. Usually it takes longer.