Minimum requirements for permit extension

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
alexander.pitt1990

Post by alexander.pitt1990 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:52 pm

I've looked everywhere and cant find this information so i thought i'd try here.

I've been in Finland on a working holiday permit, i've had my 3 jobs in 12 months and now i'm looking at extending my working holiday permit into a student one as i've been accepted into school.

My question is this, do i still require the 8000Euro (or whatever it is) and proof of insurance? Because i have a job thats pays me well, and it includes medical insurance for me. (dislocated shoulder down in Estonia was covered by my works insurance)

My work is prepared to sign a contract with whatever minimum hours are needed, we just need to know what those numbers are.

If anyone has rock solid answers or links that could help me that would be great, the maistraati website is killing me.

Kiitos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Minimum requirements for permit extension

Post by rinso » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:30 pm

http://www.migri.fi/studying_in_finland
Because i have a job thats pays me well,
If the contract is for at least a year it could be possible.
But there is a catch: As a student you're only allowed to work 25 hours/week.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm

alexander.pitt1990 wrote:My question is this, do i still require the 8000Euro (or whatever it is) and proof of insurance? Because i have a job thats pays me well, and it includes medical insurance for me. (dislocated shoulder down in Estonia was covered by my works insurance)
Statutory occupational health care doesn't necessarily cover everything and they can't handle everything. Bigger surgeries in emergency etc. For that you are either covered by Kela or your own insurance. If you can't show either to migri then they will stamp denied on your application.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

alexander.pitt1990

Post by alexander.pitt1990 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:34 pm

I know that i can only work 25 average per week, it will still be enough for me when i begin studies to live off.

But is there a minimum balance i have to have in my account or will the fact i have a steady job be good enough?

Cheers for the help guys.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I know that i can only work 25 average per week, it will still be enough for me when i begin studies to live off.
If the job contract says full time (> 25hr/week) there is a problem. You need a < 25 hr contract for at least a year.
If it is a flexible hours contract it might also be a problem if there is no minimum guaranteed.
A job is a risk since you could lose it on short notice. Whenever there is some doubt, Migri/police take the save route and reject the application.
Get as much money in your account to compensate for the risks.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:44 am

Students have successfully submitted work contacts(with palkka salary slips) that are 0-120hrs in 3 weeks, worked in summer the full hrs ,no work in the rest of the year, collected income, approved by poliisi.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:53 am

http://www.migri.fi/services/faq/reside ... s/students
no7
7. I have been accepted to study at a Finnish educational institution and am soon going to apply for a residence permit. What kind of health insurance will I need?

The extent of the insurance coverage required will depend on the duration of your studies. Foreign nationals entering the country to carry out studies lasting less than two years are not usually assigned a domicile in Finland and are thus not covered by municipal health care. Such a student must have private insurance covering medical care expenses, as a rule, up to EUR 100,000. Foreign students entering Finland for studies with a minimum duration of two years are usually assigned a domicile in Finland and are thus covered by municipal health care services, but private insurance is also required primarily to cover expenses for medication of, in general, at least EUR 30,000.
no2
2. I have a residence permit for studies. Am I allowed to engage in gainful employment?

Persons who have a residence permit granted on the basis of studying may engage in gainful employment without restrictions when the work consists of practical training or diploma work as part of a degree. During study terms when actual instruction is being given, you are allowed to do an average of 25 hours of part-time work weekly. The number of working hours is not restricted weekly but the restriction concerns each term during which work can be periodized according to the situation. During holidays, i.e. during summer and Christmas holidays, you can work full-time without hourly restrictions.
Income from part-time work done during study terms may be taken into account in a discretionary manner in assessing the amount of available means required for livelihood. However, this is not possible in the case of first residence permits.
As its your first year student res-permit you have to show full means of support, or atleast you need to expect poliisi to read it literately and not allow you to use part-time work contracts, but it might not be the case when you submit the application.Atleast in finland you need to recognize that this literal and simplified ruling may not be adjustable even though you have been here a while and demonstrated the capacity to earn income.