Au-pairs

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
onkko

Au-pairs

Post by onkko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 pm

I want to make sure everyone understand this.

You dont "hire" au-pair.
Au-pair dont work for you.

Au-pair is cultural exchange program where one do help on daily stuff but he/she isnt employed, he/she exchanges his modest help for cultural exchange.
You have to pay "pocket money", provide housing, insurance, upkeep etc. and provide cultural exchange like finnish language lessons.
In exchange au-pair takes care of reasonable amount of chores like your own child would.

If things doest fit on that then its not au-pair but hired nanny and one needs residence permit and there is different laws about that.

I know au-pair is different in other countries but in finland, for reason, didnt accept that. In here its cultural exchange not for cheap slave labour.

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Au-pairs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Au-pairs

Post by onkko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:14 am

Cory wrote:The term "aupair" is thrown around on this board often but since many people who post here are not fluent in English, I believe they use the term simply because they don't know the word "child minder" or "babysitter". It's most likely a matter of semantics.
I know and thats why i wanted to make clear its not synonym. And by law its not sematics, its difference between X years in jail or legit thing.
I do support au pair thing and do want it to continue so i dont like people who use it wrong ways.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

asanda

Post by asanda » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Au pairs still need a residence permit, and tax card, and they do pay tax on the "pocket money" if their placement is longer than 6 months. And, yes they are not full time nannies or babysitters. Generally an au pair will only work 25 - 30 hours a week and must have an interest in learning about the Finnish language and culture. All meals and board are included in the placement.

I am currently an au pair in East Finland for 10 months.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:39 pm

its like cutting calander time out of your sum life span.
But having said that , i look forward to a time where i have no time, business is booming,life is full of details. THis would be a good time to use the average hopeful to clean and teach them my finnish culture.