23yr old Aussie looking for any type of work in Joensuu

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
samantha_degroot

Post by samantha_degroot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:30 am

Hi all,

I am planning on moving to Finland for 12 months on a working holiday visa in December this year. A friend of mine already has an apartment there as she is studying so accommodation is no problem. However I need to find a job there first for my visa to be approved. I am willing to do anything (almost!) to pay the bills. I do not speak Finnish but I am generally quite good at picking it up (I lived in Holland for 1.5 years and can now speak fluent Dutch). Thoughts or suggestions on the best place to search for work in Joensuu, Finland?

Thanks!

Sam :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: 23yr old Aussie looking for any type of work in Joensuu

Post by rinso » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:21 pm

tummansininen wrote:Quick thought: I don't suppose you are eligible for a Dutch passport? Or have a parent that was born in the UK? That would make life much easier for you.
Maybe less paperwork, but still the same financial hurdle.

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:38 pm

tummansininen wrote:The other option is to come here without a visa, as a tourist. You can stay 6 months without one.
Well that would be stupid since tourist cant work, agreement between australia and finland allows "work holiday" where you can work, with some restrictions, for year. IIRC you dont have to have work before you come but you can do work in 1 year if you manage to get one. You have to prove you can support yourself even without job tho. IIRC in australia time per employee is limited to 3 months but i dont know about finland.
And no there is no "have to prove" stuff for work holiday, they are like locals what law cares. Time is limited etc so you have to return when time is up etc.
Its "special" agreement so youth from both countries can come and familiarize oneself with other culture while making some money by menial jobs.

In autumn you can get lot of money from berry/mushroom picking, its not a job since its totally free for all and tax free. Just go to forest and pick and sell, check everyman right in finland. There is strawberry/etc farms who could hire you too but those arent fun. Its hard work and there is possibility that you dont earn much but anyway. In worst case scenario you have to pay to pick berries.
By "arent fun" i mean they have pickers from countries where even ridiculously low pay mean they do half or one year worth of money by picking few months. I would pick 12 hours a day/7 days of week/nonstop if i earned that much.

In winter you should be in lapland where native english is appreciated but you probably need finnish too in most places since finns do speak english and its "exotic" so tourists like our "rally english".
Do you speak russian/chinese/japanese? Well even if not we do have lot of tourists from english world.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

markbaker

Post by markbaker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:52 am

How did you go Samantha?

My girlfriend is from that area and we are thinking of making a move to Finland for a longer term. Still deciding if it's a good idea since I don't speak Finnish so it would make the job prospects extremely hard. I did spend some time in Helsinki (8 Months) and it was the same deal with work, hard to come by and even harder to get.

It's hard to be part of the culture when the language is so hard to learn. I'm sure you could find some work if you work really hard to find it but you might feel isolated quickly if you don't find a crew of friends to be around.