Asumistuki while on Starttiraha? (For private math tutoring)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
jhegedus42

Post by jhegedus42 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to get asumistuki if I get starttiraha and have a toiminimi but the business is not providing me with significant amount (say 100 EUR/month before tax) of income yet?

I am asking this because I am considering to start to do private math, physics and programming tutoring for freshmen university students or for final year high school students. As a side-question: what is the gross hourly wage one can earn as a private tutor teaching these subjects?

Cheers,

Jozsef

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Asumistuki while on Starttiraha? (For private math tutor

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:23 pm

If you are charging your customers directly then I think you could expect around 20e/hour. I doubt if your customers could afford more than that. Most universities run peer tutoring groups where students get credits for offering extra-curricular tuition to other students. You would be in competition with them. Your high school "market" will be limited by your ability to teach in Finnish.

But there other solutions, for example you could work freelance for a company like Tutor House. Maybe they pay a bit more.
http://www.tutorhouse.fi/index.php?p=1_6_rekrytointi

As for your question on benefits, sorry I don't know.

You need to check how VAT works, To get starttiraha your toiminimi definitely has to be VAT registered. This might mean you have to charge VAT and then get it refunded at the end of the tax year, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can clarify.

jhegedus42

Post by jhegedus42 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Interesting points! Thanks! Do you have experience yourself with private tutoring?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 pm

jhegedus42 wrote: Is it possible to get asumistuki if I get starttiraha and have a toiminimi but the business is not providing me with significant amount (say 100 EUR/month before tax) of income yet?
Yes.

http://www.kela.fi/web/en/housing/assets

"Self-employment income is calculated on the basis of insurable income under the Self-Employed Persons' Pensions Act or the Farmers' Pensions Act."

jhegedus42

Post by jhegedus42 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Thank you for the info!