Teaching and Tourism jobs in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Kombouto

Post by Kombouto » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Hello everybody,
I'm a Spaniard in a relationship with a Finn and I'd like to ask you about our job prospects. Currently I have a job in Spain and my girlfriend is studying at university here, but we'd like to move in 3-4 years to Finland, as we think it's a better country to raise children.
I'm a History teacher (I also have a course of Spanish language teaching) with experience also in Tourism and sales. I speak Spanish, English, French, Italian and German, and this year I'll start with Finnish. So, what do you think my employment prospects could be there? My first option would naturally be teaching, could I teach Spanish (or History) without a perfect command of Finnish?

My girlfriend is studying Tourism at a state Spanish university, but I'm worried because she doesn't want to learn Russian. Does she still have a chance speaking Finnish, English and Spanish?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Teaching and Tourism jobs in Finland

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:52 am

I think your best bet for a teaching job would be in a University of Applied Science (AMK) many offer Bachelors degrees in tourism-related subjects taught in English. Languages would be a bonus. Having said that, the jobs are few and far between (some UAS are laying off staff).

To improve your chances of finding work, you could consider taking a diploma in Vocational Teacher Education (part-time and can be completed in 12 months if you already have a teaching qualification) which would give you a Finnish piece of paper and an insight into the Finnish system. HAMK, TAMK, Haaga.Helia etc offer courses.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:42 am

At the moment your prospects are not good. Although a lot can chance in 4 years I don't expect it to be a ride in the park then.
Tourism is struggling at the moment and for expansion they are looking at the non traditional markets (China, Japan). If you can offer skills/knowledge in that area you might have a better chance.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:23 pm

So, how many Spanish-speakers are rich enough to come to Finland as a tourist? And where will they go to?
OK, yes, jejejeje go to see the northern lights. So you intend on moving to Lapland?

Don't they teach you bloody to do a SWOT analysis in school there?
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:59 am

Pursuivant wrote:So, how many Spanish-speakers are rich enough to come to Finland as a tourist? And where will they go to?
OK, yes, jejejeje go to see the northern lights. So you intend on moving to Lapland?

Don't they teach you bloody to do a SWOT analysis in school there?
I thought that too when i red " Spanish, English, French, Italian and German".
http://www.visitfinland.com/travel-trad ... tatistics/

Russia 1.6 million

Sweden 531 000

Germany 502 000

United Kingdom 455 000

France 214 000

Japan 206 000

USA 187,000

Estonia 187 000

Norway 174 000

Netherlands 159,000

China 143 000

Switzerland 129 000 <- depends

Italy 116 000

Spain 97 000
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Kombouto

Post by Kombouto » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks for your responses. I will consider getting a diploma for teaching at vocational schools; I didn't know that it wasn't the same needed for high schools (the level I'm currently teaching). I have also thought of learning Russian, but first I want to reach a good level of Finnish.
As for entrepreneurship, it can be an option in the future after living in Finland for some time, but it would be too risky before having a good knowledge of the market. I have a friend who set up a renewable energy company in Finland, thinking the sector would boom as in Spain, and now he is almost bankrupt.
For the time being, I will enjoy some years of saving and Finnish learning :D