Salary in R&D

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
morengala

Salary in R&D

Post by morengala » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi,

I have applied for a Research Scientist position (IT related) in a company located in Helsinki. I have been asked for the net monthly salary (yes, net and monthly) I'd like to have.
Could you give me any suggestions on the salary? I have never been in Finland, so I find quite difficult to estimate an adequate salary.

I have a post-doc and my PhD project was almost identical to their project, so I am honestly an excellent candidate for that position.

Thanks in Advance!

Morengala

Salary in R&D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

cors187

Re: Salary in R&D

Post by cors187 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 am

in hand 2300euro month minimum(14.50hr), maybe 2800 in hand is possible(17.50hr)

morengala

Post by morengala » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Thank you, cors187!

I guess the annual salary would be 12 times this monthly one, isn't it? Or should I also include an end-year bonus?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:37 pm

Research scientist in an R&D department in an IT company, and 2300 EUR min? Are you kidding me?!
I work in an IT company in a small city in Finland and my salary is more than that, and I'm still a student. A friend of mine has started a junior position (web related) in Helsinki and his salary is 3300 EUR/month.

Morengala, how many years of experience do you have? What's your highest academic degree?
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:25 pm

morengala wrote:Thank you, cors187!

I guess the annual salary would be 12 times this monthly one, isn't it? Or should I also include an end-year bonus?
It's not. People get paid extra for "returning from holidays" (lomaraha) under most collective bargaining agreements. When calculating annual salary you should figure out whether you should include the social security payments (mainly pensions) that the employers pay if you are comparing to a country where they do not exist.
adnan wrote:A friend of mine has started a junior position (web related) in Helsinki and his salary is 3300 EUR/month.
The OP was asking about salaries after taxes. No ordinary junior position pays 3300 after taxes.

morengala

Post by morengala » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 am

For your information, I the position is about a research theme that is basically identical to the one of my PhD, that I successfully completed.
I have also 2 years of post-doc experience (although on a different topic).

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 am

betelgeuse wrote:The OP was asking about salaries after taxes. No ordinary junior position pays 3300 after taxes.
No ordinary person gives salary estimates netto (net, after taxes). Making estimates for post-tax salaries is a bit pointless. In the end, the withholdings vary from one person to the other; their municipality, how many kids they have, whether they drive to work for a long distance or not, their church contribution, etc. etc.
Last edited by Beep_Boop on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:03 am

morengala wrote:For your information, I the position is about a research theme that is basically identical to the one of my PhD, that I successfully completed.
I have also 2 years of post-doc experience (although on a different topic).
Personally, with that kind of credentials you have, I wouldn't expect anything short of 4000-4500 EUR (brutto, before tax)

Rip

Post by Rip » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 am

adnan wrote: No ordinary person gives salary estimates netto (net, after taxes).
It was bit peculiar but stated explicitly at the start of the thread. The actual contract has gross salary of course, but maybe they want the foreign applicant get the ball park idea what is actually having on his own account.
In the end, the withholdings vary from one person to the other; their municipality, how many kids they have, whether they drive to work for a long distance or not, their church contribution, etc. etc.
The job is in Helsinki, while there is some variation in the area, he is not going to live in the middle of nowhere with corresponding tax rates. If we would live in Helsinki, the municipal tax rate would be known, an the deduction for commuting would be zero (not much in Espoo). The number of kids practically never has any influence on the rate and I'm sure they would not expect a foreigner to join the local Lutherian church.

The salary range given near the beginning would correspond to something around 3500-4200 before tax. I think I would have suggested something around the upper end of the range.
Last edited by Rip on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:44 pm

adnan wrote:Research scientist in an R&D department in an IT company, and 2300 EUR min? Are you kidding me?!
I work in an IT company in a small city in Finland and my salary is more than that, and I'm still a student. A friend of mine has started a junior position (web related) in Helsinki and his salary is 3300 EUR/month.
I hear the myth of IT big league getting high pay but the collective agreement dont show it.
A new person in R&D it can be "as easy" as throwing money out the window.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 pm

cors187 wrote:I hear the myth of IT big league getting high pay but the collective agreement dont show it.
The collective agreement does not dictate salaries. It defines minimum salaries. Everything beyond the legal minimum is up to the market to decide. I work in a very specific field with high demand with little supply, so I'm not gonna accept an offer for 12 EUR/h, and the market adjusts for that by raising the price. Of course, a PHP developer or a Java programmer doesn't really have the luxury to be picky, mainly because there's a very high supply of those, and the market adjusts for that as well by lowering the price.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:15 pm

adnan wrote:
cors187 wrote:I hear the myth of IT big league getting high pay but the collective agreement dont show it.
The collective agreement does not dictate salaries. It defines minimum salaries. Everything beyond the legal minimum is up to the market to decide.
The higher the education of the workers covered by the agreement the more general / loosely defined the agreement tends to be. It should be kept in mind that the agreements don't generally have a single salary defined. It is usually a table to which you have to categorize in. I haven't looked into exact figures but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the norm in blue collar work that the wages don't differ much from the collective agreement level for the average worker.

morengala

Post by morengala » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:22 am

There are special norms for paying in net terms, and this seems to be the case for some foreign companies:
http://www.vero.fi/en-US/Precise_inform ... emp(26051)

And this is net to gross converter:
http://prosentti.vero.fi/BPL/Sivut/Aloi ... ieli=en-US

cors187

Post by cors187 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:39 pm

adnan wrote: I work in a very specific field with high demand with little supply,
I didnt think there were such jobs in Finland.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:00 pm

You know with R&D , not everyone can do that. So if the company is making a binding contract,i would ask the worker for what they want and then press them to the floor of the CA , but offer bonus/performance extras.