Sole employee

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
cressers

Sole employee

Post by cressers » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:18 am

Hi

If I were to accept a job for a foreign company with no physical presence in Finland, and be their only employee- what employment situation would I be under in Finland, what would be the easiest way for me to get going and thee least heavy way that would deter them from hiring me?

Sole employee

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Sole employee

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:56 am

One way would be for you to set up your own company (eg a toiminimi) in Finland and operate as a consultant/supplier billing them for the work you do. It would be very easy to set up, in fact I think you can even fill in the forms online. You would effectively be self-employed and the foreign company would be your customer.

As far as I know, the "foreign" company can't hire you as an employee with a Finnish contract (ie with social security KELA and Tyel contributions). So, you would have to be on their local payroll but domiciled in Finland. This means you would then have to declare your foreign income to Vero yourself, and arrange your own private pension & health insurance.

Or, the company could set up a "branch" in Finland: http://www.prh.fi/en/kaupparekisteri/yr ... minen.html and employ you as a Finnish employee but you would need to figure out who is responsible for all the regular paperwork etc.

You could try asking http://www.intofinland.fi for some advice (by email or visit their office). They have tax and kela advice in the same office.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:22 pm

You might want to look at first if its convenient to do a "contracting" agreement through eezy.fi - I think on their pages they said they can handle foreign invoicing. Basically, as far as the VERO is concerned you're eezy's employee as they pay all the "employer" contributions. You do need to make sure the billing is covering all this though.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 pm

If eezy.fi does foreign billings then that would probably be the easiest short term solution but not necessarily the best in the long term. There are some advantages to having your own limited company eg if you need to invest in office equipment and/or travel costs and home office expenses etc.

When negotiating the deal with your employer, make sure you incorporate forex fluctuations into the contract if outside the euro zone. Some currencies (eg the rouble) have fluctuated quite significantly in recent months.