NEED A JOB IN TURKU

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
michael.ingleton

NEED A JOB IN TURKU

Post by michael.ingleton » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:33 am

Hi. I live in Turku and am really struggling to find work. I'm British and I speak almost fluent Finnish but I still can't find anything. I've been teaching Finnish for työharjoittelu for almost a year but it will end in a few weeks and I have to find a job. I'm willing to do any kind of job but even when I apply for warehouse work or cleaning work or newspaper delivery I never get any responses. I've applied for hundreds of jobs this year and received 1 response and I didn't get the job because I don't have my own car. Does anyone have any advice?

NEED A JOB IN TURKU

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: NEED A JOB IN TURKU

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 am

Ah, if you are at a level you can teach Finnish, you're far too smart for the cleaning/warehouse jobs as they want someone who can't read the TES. You also need a dumbed-down CV for those.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Simatt

Post by Simatt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:42 am

, oh well,.. i might have a chance to get a cleaning job then,..
Im a Kindergarten teacher from Germany, but I dont speak finnish at all,... so my chances are better to get a cleaning job hm?!
Anybody knows for housekeeping/ cleaning, where to apply?! :) Thanks

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 pm

My advice will probably be IT-oriented (because that's my field), but I guess it can be applicable to other fields as well.

Networking, networking, and having an impressive trail behind you. That's what has gotten me all of my jobs so far.

Actually, my first job in Finland was a cleaning job in Turku, then a few-week gig picking berries after that. I got those jobs through being friends with people from Nepal, Bangladesh, and central Africa in my school.
My first IT job in FInland was secured after a few teachers recommended me to a company after I was active around the school helping teachers and students with IT stuff.

- Become an active member in respected online communities relevant to your field. I got a job offer in the UK because of my account on http://security.stackexchange.com/
- Go to conferences, meetups, hackathons, workshops, etc. Flaunt your skills while keeping it seemingly humble. I got a few offers (well, more like "Would you like to stop by for an interview" kind of thing) while attending conferences and university workshops.
- Always try to inject relevant people in your circle of friends. It's not difficult to become friends with young people in your desired field. (Oh, that came out wrong. Well, you know what I mean.. hopefully)
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.