to be academician

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
ustun

Re: to be academician

Post by ustun » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:28 pm

tummansininen wrote:At the moment I don't think you have enough English to study or work in Finland, if that's what you were intending to do. If you plan to get a masters' first before you come here, that might be ok, but it will likely take you about 3 years of full-time Finnish lessons to get work anywhere in academic jobs. And if you want to work here as a professor, you will always be picked last because you are a foreigner. Sorry... but it is true, we have lots of professors here with perfect Finnish, only the really amazing foreigners can get work as professors.

And we still have no idea what it is you want to be. Academician is technically a word but it is a nonsense word which doesn't mean anything in real life. Nobody does it for a job. Whatever job you are thinking of, it must have some other name in English that people would recognise. So I guess you mean you want to teach at university. We would like to encourage you, but it is really far too early to consider it yet, I think. If it's what you want, then get the qualifications first and then decide if Finland is the place for you. (Sweden would be easier, the language is not so slow to learn.)
Thanks a lot for your reply. You are excatly right! Actually i have wanted to be in my country. But as i wrote my ex-post, my fiance will move to Finland for his own work. And we will get marry with him. So i have to find job in Tampere. I never wanna be house wife. And i do not want to work at any other job yet. I studied university. And i have capasity for learn too much more. I hope i could explain what i would like to say.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by 007 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:45 pm

roger_roger wrote:
ustun wrote:
Rosamunda wrote:I think your chances of coming to Finland would be far greater as a student. Full-time university teaching posts are difficult to find and the competition is fierce. You would also be required to prove you have a high level of proficiency in English, especially academic English (writing skills).
Thank you for reply. yes i am gonna take IELTS course in Finland within this summer, before i'd applied for my master degree. Do you have any idea for IELTS course in Tampere?
There is no concept of taking exotic courses in Finland, IELTS is so basic english, I don't think there is any course for it. By the way you write, you may need professional courses to learn english, try to learn GRE or GMAT. TOEFL and IELTS are so basic english, I don't think its necessary to take courses for that, its like daily use of English. BTW as far as I know, there is no training center in Finland (or Tampere) for GRE or GMAT too...
Toefl and ielts both are tests. Test scores are meant to reflect test takers' proficiency in English ranging from very basic to advanced level. Therefore, Toefl and ielts are or deal with only basic English does not make sense. I had ielts years ago, and if things have not changed since, Ielts has separate tests for academic and general purposes. GRE and GMAT are exclusively for science or management students, I guess.

There's Finnbrit for Ielts in Helsinki which conducts and perhaps offers preparation courses for the test but I don't think it's necessary for the most.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Yes, the only IELTS exam centre in Finland is at the Finnbrit in Helsinki and yes, they do run prep courses for people taking the exam. So do the työvaenopisto and the aikuisopisto, at least they do in Helsinki.

http://www.finnbrit.fi/exams-tests/prep ... -for-ielts

007 is right, the scores in IELTS go up to 9.0 which is C2+ (native proficiency)- in fact I have heard of native speakers who have scored less than 9.0 - it is totally meaningless to say it is "basic" English.

As with any exam, preparation helps. Turning up for the test without even taking time to understand the contents of the different modules is a waste of money (230 euro to be exact). On the other hand, if you need to improve your level of English before you take IELTS then you might find taking a Cambridge exam course more helpful eg FCE if you are B1/B2

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/c ... titutions/

ustun

Post by ustun » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:11 pm

roger_roger wrote:So your situation is like: -

1.) Your Fiancee is coming to Finland for work
2.) you will join him or come together with him
3.) you want to be academician and teach people what you learned

In that case, I'd like to assume you have sorted out your Residence Permit things.

Your main issue is about joining the University in Tampere and eventually teaching there.

There are two Universities in Tampere, UTA and TUT, google it. There are other Polytechnic universities too: TAMK, HAMK, PIRAMK (joined to TAMK I guess)

To get into universities you have to fulfill the requirements and language is one. You need minimum 7 in IELTS in most masters courses at main Universities, in Polytechnic I guess its 6 or 6.5. Its better to check the university websites to learn about it, most of the courses offered in English also has all the requirements listed.

The admission period starts usually on December and ends in January/February. The course begins typically end of August or 1st of September. check few websites like http://studyinfinland.fi/ which has valuable information about studying and application procedures, etc.

Now, things about your teaching, If you are lucky then you may get Teaching Assistant or Lab Assistant position. This is something that Professor/Lecturer assigns himself/helself. It depends how close you are to the Professor and how good you are in that Professor's subject. Teaching Assistant doesn't teach, but helps professors on checking assignments, making lab reports, guiding students in lab, etc.

Once you finish the masters and start Ph.D, then you can also teach as Teaching Assistant.

I studied in UTA and there are multicultural teachers there. The Chinese Lecturer always had Chinese Students as her Teaching Assistant, Greek had Greek. So, most of them favor their countrymen. I have yet to encounter any Pakistani lecturer there, but its been ages I left the University, I don't know much about the situation now. Forget about getting hired as TA from Finnish Professors without proficiency in Finnish language. Its not going to happen, at least in Tampere.

THANKS A LOT! You wrote exactly want i know. Teaching assistant is great for me. I wanted to say that. I am talking about teaching assistant. Thanks a lot for your explaining.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:30 pm

tummansininen wrote: I have never had a problem understanding her and her accent is not very heavy, and yet she barely got through it at the minimum level she needed for beginning her PhD. She says that the time pressure is extreme and that every single question was designed to catch you out, which sounds quite logical and would probably also trip the native speakers up.
There is reading, listening and writing as well as speaking. Someone with a heavy accent might do very well if he/she has excellent academic writing skills and a wide range of vocabulary (which is usually the result of extensive reading in English).

ustun

Post by ustun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:34 am

Is there anyone knows how can i be TEACHING ASSISTANT? When i wrote in my title "academician", i wanted to say teaching assistant. I wrote acedemician because of in my country acedemician and teaching assistant really like. I have relized that i wrote general definition. I am gonna get master degree in english in Finland/Tampere. I am gonna get IELTS, GRE, GMAT... what else. What i have to do, i will! I would like to know that how can i be teaching assistant? Is there anyone know that?

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 pm

how can i be teaching assistant?
1- learn Finnish
2- get masters
3- get PhD position
4- apply for a teaching assistant position with your professor.

ustun

Post by ustun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:53 pm

rinso wrote:
1- learn Finnish
2- get masters
3- get PhD position
Thanks a lot for your concern. This is what i would like to learn. Thanks!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:41 pm

rinso wrote:
1- learn Finnish
2- get masters
3- get PhD position
In Aalto for many courses the only requirement for a teaching assistant was that they had taken the course already (and in some instances they took the course at the same time). Only 4 of the above is a mandatory requirement. If the teaching language of the course is English, Finnish is merely useful.
ustun wrote:Is there anyone knows how can i be TEACHING ASSISTANT? When i wrote in my title "academician", i wanted to say teaching assistant.
Note that a teaching assistant is a temporary position.

ustun

Post by ustun » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:45 pm

In Aalto for many courses the only requirement for a teaching assistant was that they had taken the course already (and in some instances they took the course at the same time). Only 4 of the above is a mandatory requirement. If the teaching language of the course is English, Finnish is merely useful.
ustun wrote:Is there anyone knows how can i be TEACHING ASSISTANT? When i wrote in my title "academician", i wanted to say teaching assistant.
Note that a teaching assistant is a temporary position.[/quote]

You mean teaching assistant is a temporary position but i can be go up from this position, right?

I have checked Aalto University. Thanks for your advice.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 am

ustun wrote: You mean teaching assistant is a temporary position but i can be go up from this position, right?
Sure like from any position but it's not a requirement to having been a teaching assistant to advance.