Work with no studies ?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
JormaOikarinen

Work with no studies ?

Post by JormaOikarinen » Sat May 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Here is my situation... Stuck in the worst country of Europe (Yup, I'm talking about Spain) , I just turned 18 and a half , This summer I'm going back to Tampere and rented a small house. I have no previous job and no studies (Only elementary school) , Whenever I try to search for job in Finland over the Internet I go crazy ... Almost everything requires universty degrees or/and the Finnish language . Well , My english is OK , but my Finnish level is really basic .. Just some sentences and words.

Is it possible to find easy works and use english ?
Thanks

Image Image Image

Work with no studies ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Work with no studies ?

Post by rinso » Sat May 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Is it possible to find easy works and use english ?
The rule of thumb is; the less Finns you speak (and write) the more professional skills you need to have.
So no Finns means almost always a masters degree.

Of course there are jobs like cleaning where they are less critical on skills and language. But there is also a heavy competition between foreigners for those kind of jobs.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat May 16, 2015 11:21 pm

I've read your other posts. Basically, you're a Finnophile. In itself, that's not a problem. However, in your case, it's a bit of an issue. Your obsession with Finland seems to be coupled with a detest for your own reality in your country. Together, this is blinding you from seeing the situation clearly. Add to it that you're pretty young.

Just rethink the whole thing: You're too young to even buy Koskenkorva. You have absolutely no marketable skills. You don't know enough Finnish to get by. You're doing yourself a huge disservice.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun May 17, 2015 7:11 am

tummansininen wrote:That plan must include education.
JormaOikarinen wrote: no studies (Only elementary school)
This means starting at Yläaste and lukio. He won't get anywhere near an institution of higher education without it.

JormaOikarinen

Post by JormaOikarinen » Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

tummansininen wrote:Well, depends. By "elementary" he might mean compulsory school (peruskoulu). Which can still get you into trade schools. But yes... you NEED to have at least your 9th grade done. There are options for it in Finland, Eira in Helsinki has a Peruskoulu programme for foreign adults that isn't very expensive. I don't know about Tampere but they might well have something similar.
In my case , My next step is "lukio" (secondary school) , Couldn't complete it back then because of bullying and other personal problems. :beamer: , If I could end my basic studies at Finland , It would be a great plan.
In this case at a school for adults as you said (At least in Spain , when you reach 18 , you can't join the average school )
I think i am gonna research about this .. In a near future, i would be interested.
Image Image Image

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon May 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Is even possible to register right of residence and/or get a henkilötunnus with a non-higher-education study place? Add to it that OP has only enough money to survive for a few months (two months, according to a different post).
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

JormaOikarinen

Post by JormaOikarinen » Mon May 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Oh yes ... My history started years ago becoming a Nokia fanboy and listening Finnish pop and Rock , and now ...

Well, In Spain the unemployment rate is 24% (All kind of people , Both youngs and adults.) , This place is depressing , All the streets are PLENTY of homeless people begging for a meal and they use ATMs as bedroom :roll: , And not to mention my disagreement with Spanish culture .. A country where torturing and killing bulls is an "art" :cry: :thumbsdown: , And the evil goverment .. it is like an Italian mob. :roll:

I got a mail from the town hall of Tampere (more accurate , the department of immigration) , I explained the my situation from beginning to end , They said i can visit the at their offices and have a conversation with a Spanish-speaking "agent" , They offer language courses for foreigners and help to find job ..
Hope to be successful :thumbsup:

If i can't stay in Finland ... I need to find a plan B , My family supports me (economically too) , but everything has a limit.
tummansininen wrote:Aw adnan, say it ain't so. Can't I just fall in love with some Finnish metal band, decide that the language sounds Soooo Coool (so I'm totes gonna learn it, check it out I can say "Moi" already), and therefore everything in Finland is awesome so it will surely work out if I love it enough? I mean, I dyed my hair black and everything.

Jorma not a dig at you, just on the popular perception. We got free university, we got awesome nature, we got great health care, we got the best education in the world, but all these things benefit Finns who speak Finnish. (Yeah ok, or who speak Swedish and live in a Swedish town.)

For foreigners waltzing in, we got 50% youth unemployment, and MASSIVE unemployment for those also unable to speak Finnish or who have no skills. For people with all three, I don't even want to think of the number :(

It simply cannot be better than the employment prospects for you in Spain.

It may not be romantic or fun, but you ought have stayed to find unskilled work in Spain and saved for a few years, then brought that savings here to fund you through some education. What is your plan B here in Finland if you can't get work? How long can you afford to stay?
Image Image Image

JormaOikarinen

Post by JormaOikarinen » Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 pm

adnan wrote:Is even possible to register right of residence and/or get a henkilötunnus with a non-higher-education study place? Add to it that OP has only enough money to survive for a few months (two months, according to a different post).
Well , currently i have money to survive for 6 months .. Enough time to make an intensive job search.
Image Image Image

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon May 18, 2015 4:57 pm

They offer language courses for foreigners and help to find job
This is when you get registered. Without job or enough money in the bank ( much more than for 6 months) you won't get registered.
And don't forget about the waiting list for those free language courses.

As long as you're a "tourist" they won't do anything for you.
And helping finding a job is pointing you at mol.fi :twisted:

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue May 19, 2015 8:04 am

tummansininen wrote: By law you must register as a resident within 3 months of arriving here. You need a job, or 12 000 euro in the bank, or a place in uni / trade school. And you can't go to uni because you don't have high school.
There are no predefined money limits for EU free movement. 12k is the non EU single person limit so it does give some direction but it's not binding.
tummansininen wrote: You can't enrol in high school because you're not registered as a resident, you can't find a job if you have no skills and no language, you can't visit a doctor because you're not a resident, the unemployment office will not help you at all because you are not a registered resident, and you can't register because, oooh look. Back in a circle again.
The unemployment office must register all EU jobseekers:

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 20916#L2P2

It can be possible to get Spanish unemployment benefits for three months when looking for work in Finland. EU health card will take care of doctor costs.
tummansininen wrote: You don't seem to listen to gentle hints so here it is bluntly. This is not going to work out for you. Finland has its own problems and won't spend a cent assisting nice Spanish boys who think Finland looks like a decent place to live. Finland only wants you here if you're paying tax. You have no job prospects, no skills and no language, so you're not likely to find ANY job, and all your money is going to be wasted.
Here I can agree that prospects don't look good.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue May 19, 2015 9:56 am

There are no predefined money limits for EU free movement. 12k is the non EU single person limit so it does give some direction but it's not binding.
It's the formal EU thingy. But 12k is near poverty so unless you can prove you don't need much because of other benefits (i.e. free housing) it's a very realistic number.
So you appear in their statistics. But what are they actually doing for you?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue May 19, 2015 10:18 am

rinso wrote:
So you appear in their statistics. But what are they actually doing for you?
They should provide the same services (which does not mean benefits since the unemployment office does not pay those) as for Finns. I have no delusions on that being a magic bullet of course.

laurajbj85

Post by laurajbj85 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:34 pm

In order to stay in Finland, you need to get a job as soon as possible or state that you are a student (prepare to show all the documents about it). If you are not a student and you don't have enought money, you need to work for at least 4 months (full time) to get the right of residence and once you get it, if you become unemployed, you can join the jobcentre and get some unemployment benefits plus a Finnish course.
If you don't find a job when you move or you don't have enought money to support yourself (more than 10.000 euros), you can stay but you have to leave every 3 months for at least 24 hours.

The easiest jobs you can find are in cleaning service. In hotels and most of the cleaning field, you don't need to speak Finnish for hurry, but you need a good English and a bit of experience...but it's not necessary.

I hope I have been useful! Good luck!